• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

And Then There Were None - Character Typings

mainthing

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Hello, I'm pretty new to this forum! So correct any possible mistakes I may have done in the process of creating this thread. This post will contain spoilers, so don't read it if you're interested in reading the book, but haven't so far.

I am extremely interested in Agatha Christie's masterpiece, "And Then There Were None", and have been since I read it seven years ago. However, I have not read the book since then, but seen a couple of movie versions. I have re-checked in with the book for this typing session, but it's possible I have made mistakes in that way. Anyway, I find the characters of this book to be fantastically created and I believe they all have a type within the MBTI spectrum, even the characters that are killed off first. Please share your opinions as well! :D

Anthony Marston ESTP (SeTiFeNi)
This character is barely introduced before he's killed off, however we can pick up an easy Se-dom. He lives for the here and now and is in constant search for the next adrenaline kick. It's especially well noticed right before he dies, as he celebrates the accusations as "an exciting adventure". The tricky detail with Marston is his Auxiliary, respectively Tertiary functions. I first went for ESFP, but I argue ESTP because of his outwardly carelessness considering the deaths of John and Lucy Combes. I believe that's an effect of his Ti, processing that in a cold-fact-manner, rather than from personal inner values and morale. It's highly possible he is an Fe user, since he's an extremely social person.

Ethel Rogers ISFJ (SiFeTiNe)
This typing is highly based upon sterotypes, as the maid-character often is xSFJ of some kind. I can't really define why I believe Si-dom, it just felt more likely than Fe-dom. However she is some kind of Fe-user, definitely.

John MacArthur ENTJ (TeNiSeFi)
Also one of those characters with little to no development. The reason behind Te-dom is very much a guess, but I believe the death of his wife's lover was an effect of his Te, a need to control. The problem with a character such as MacArthur is his age. Normally a person would have developed a majority of their functions to a near full level, which can create trouble when typing the function order. I believe the most common type of MacArthur is some sort of xSTJ, however, I'm going for an Auxiliary Ni, mostly because of his prediction of what is supposed to happen on the island. Fact is, he's the only one becoming that apathic about it, which could be the effect of an Ni-conclusion. We shouldn't rule out that he could be, let's say an ISTP with a Tertiary Ni, however, ENTJ is a highly suitable type for general, like MacArthur was. In theory he could also be INTJ, with a strong Ni, but I definitely argue for him being an Inferior Fi over Inferior Se.

Thomas Rogers ISTJ (SiTeFiNe)
A rather colorless character. We don't really see much except for an extremely duty-based person when reading about him. He is seemingly very detached from emotions, in the way that he keeps performing his tasks even after his wife died, which is very SiTe-like of him. Since he's not a well-developed character, it's hard to define if whether or not he could be ESTJ. It's possible that his lack of emotions about his wife's death and the motivation behind his accused murder (together with Ethel) is the effect of an Inferior Fi. I will still argue that his way of fulfilling duties is more SiTe-machine-like than TeSi-adminstrative-like, and therefore making him Tertiary Fi and Inferior Ne; an ISTJ.

Emily Brent ESTJ (TeSiNeFi)
This is a character that for sure knows how she wants things. Created to seem fairly demanding at default with a seemingly strong taste for routines. Unlike Mr Rogers' SiTe-machine-like way of being, Brent display a more obvious TeSi-adminstrative-like behavior. What's interesting thing to point out here is that Emily Brent is the big jump in characters where they become more developed. From here and on, we learn to know the history of each character in a more decisive way, and Brent's vision of Beatrice is a strong support to her Tertiary Ne, in a negative way. Her Inferior Fi is displayed by her way of surpressing morals and inner values until it's stressed out, which in many cases results in it being highly affected by her Te-dom. One example is how she used Fi to deny Beatrice her job, because of an issue created by morality. Brent's Te possibly signaled she would lose if Beatrice was hired while in that situation, therefore Brent fired, and indirectly killed, her.

Lawrence Wargrave INTJ (NiTeFiSe)
Ah yes the classic "mastermind/evil-genius-type". It can't be avoided, Judge Wargrave is without a doubt a Te-Fi Aux-Tert. It could be argued for him being ISTJ, but it's way more likely that his big plan is an effect of a resourceful Ni, rather than a data-filled Si. He should not be confused with ENTJ, as his plan did not derive from his Te, but rather his Ni. We can cover his functions very easily.

Ni - Uses stored abstract data as an original idea for his plan. Ni stores relations, emotions and feelings rather than concrete data, which is very decisive for his memory of different convicted (or not convicted) felons. For him it most likely creates a plan from those little dusts of information and he can firmly shape it into something big.

Te - Implements his Ni-plan in the external world. EXTREMELY developed, but not dominant. Very precise in his way of making sure the plan goes like it was supposed to, including fooling Armstrong and faking his own death.

Fi - Perhaps the most decisive function in this entire book, as it enforces the morality Wargrave in the end leads by. His Fi tells him these obvious criminals should have been convicted, and therefore he takes matters in his own hands, using that precise NiTe combination. Fi is only there to give a reason in this case, which ultimately gives us this story.

Se - Probably the one I can argue for the least. As we rarely see Wargrave under stress (a time where the Inferior Function tends to show) it's hard to define, and separate from a potential Inferior Ne (if he was ISTJ). The only thing that could make me claim he is in fact a Se user is his very decisive way of doing things in the heat of the moment. All those murders take a special kind of presence, not the least his own (the faked one).

Edward Armstrong ESFJ (FeSiNeTi)
Dr Armstrong is the most important piece in Judge Wargrave's mastermind plan, as he fakes Wargrave's death, using the trust he built up by being a doctor, and later on gets killed by Wargrave, leading to him looking like the guilty (as Wargrave at this point is established dead, and Armstrong is gone without a trace). But what makes Dr Edward Armstrong an Fe-dom? Well first off, the man is obsessed with social status, that he basically ranks all prisoners on the island from how likely they are the murderer, purely based upon their social status. This ultimately becomes his death as he trusts Wargrave, mostly because of him being a judge and a highly respected man. This also supports his Inferior Ti, meaning he lacks the ability to critically think about the situations and tends to base it all off of norms and emotions. This is why Wargrave picked him. His Si is visible through his tendencies to see the black and white picture. He constantly scuffs away the accusations against him being the murderer simply because he lacks the ability to see the wider picture that an Ne would allow, as he's very certain his way is the right way, that he impossibly could be the killer. After all, he's a doctor. However his Tertiary Ne kicks in from time to time, and it's likely that his plan with Wargrave was an effect of his Ne searching a new way to deal with the murderers and trying to figure out the actual killer.

William Blore ISTP (TiSeNiFe)
Perhaps a little stereotypical for an undercover investigator like Blore, but it's highly likely this man is an ISTP. Blore uses his Ti-dom to understand the world around him in a logical, analytical manner. He views everything with skepticism and doesn't really trust anyone, except for potentially Lombard. Now, Blore focuses his extroversion upon the concrete here-and-now, and seeks to understand it. Using this combination, he becomes very aware of his surroundings, which seemed to be the winning concept for staying alive longer. His Tertiary Ni is a little harder to argue for, but it's likely his Ni kicked in during his final alive seconds, right before Wargrave kills him with the bear, as he sees the body of Armstrong and connects that he is not the killer. If he considered Lombard or Vera as potential killers or actually saw a third possibility (e.g Wargrave) is unsure. In the 1945 movie version, Blore actually exclaims "I get it!" as he discoveres Armstrong's dead body and presumably realizes that the gulit lies in Wargrave's hands, something that is extremely likely a Tertiary Ni-user would do. However, the book version is not as verbal about his discovery. Lastly, Blore's inferior Fe disallows him to trust his surroundings too much, only having a little faith in Lombard. Unlike Lombard, who has a higher Fe (explained in next typing), Blore didn't get too affected by trusting people, which probably kept him alive for as long as he did (the opposite of Armstrong actually). In the end, Lombard suffered from that in a fatal way that Blore successfully avoided, because of that Inferior Fe.

Philip Lombard ESTP (SeTiFeNi)
Lombard is a very clear ExxP persona, everything is about the external perceiving process for him which is shaped by his internal judging ability. Foremost, he scans his surroundings in a concrete fashion. He seeks to understand it using his analytical logic way. He's a very rough type, prepared for anything by bringing his gun to the island. He's incredibly risk-taking and has a very noticable presence in comparison to the other prisoners (except for possibly Marston). His weakness lies within his weak Fe, which made him too chivalrous in his thought about women. When first discussing a potential murderer, he discloses the theory that it could be a woman, for he believed a woman could not have such homicidal tendencies. His death is an effect of trusting Vera too much, leading to her taking his gun, and consequently shooting him. Unlike Blore, his trust was too high, but not Fe-dom, "Armstrong-high". Finally, his Ni is quite difficult to pinpoint, but it could be his difficulties understanding the information his Se brings in. He's rarely right (except for suspecting Wargrave at one point), just rough enough to stay alive. In the 1945 movie version, Lombard's Ni kicks in in the very end, and saves him from his death, by convincing Vera that someone else is still alive, and they have to fake his death to find the real killer. If he realised this in the book as well, just failed to convince Vera, is very unclear.

Vera Claythorne ISFJ (SiFeTiNe)
I was debating between ISFJ and ISFP for her for awhile, but finally settled for a SiFeTiNe combination. This was mostly because of her very likely Si-dom that takes form in her obsession with the nursery rhyme, more than for anyone else on the island. She absolutely adores it because it reminds her of childhood days, and it serves as nostalgic satisfaction for her. However, it is more clear she's an Si user when it's combined with her Auxiliary Fe, because she is extremely prone to do anything for the people below her wings. Including sending a little boy to his death. In this case, her Si works as a black-and-white function combined with her Inferior Ne, she saw it as the only possibility. Her Inferior Ne also shows towards the very end of the novel, as she decides to hang herself under extreme pressure since she's so insanely traumatised and, perhaps, not considering another way out. It's possible her Inferior Ne filters out other possibilities. I do however have a hard time defining her Tertiary Ti. I guess it's possible that her Ti was what pulled the trigger against Lombard. Fact is, she very thoroughly analyses the situation by constructing an understanding of what's going. Since she and Lombard were the only two people left (or so she thought) in the end, and she knew was not the murderer, it had to be Lombard. However, her Ti is accompanied by the information gathered from her Si, making her unable to fully understand the situation. One could actually say she enters a Si-Ti loop towards the end. For an example, a balanced INTP in that situation would have been able to bring in the possibility of someone else being behind it all. But Vera being so concrete in her observation only saw two people, and no other possibility. Her Ti was used, but in an imbalanced manner, and her Ne was left unused, making Vera Claythorne an ISFJ.

CP28

ATTWN (2015)

Hello, I'm pretty new to this forum! So correct any possible mistakes I may have done in the process of creating this thread. This post will contain spoilers, so don't read it if you're interested in reading the book, but haven't so far.

I am extremely interested in Agatha Christie's masterpiece, "And Then There Were None", and have been since I read it seven years ago. However, I have not read the book since then, but seen a couple of movie versions. I have re-checked in with the book for this typing session, but it's possible I have made mistakes in that way. Anyway, I find the characters of this book to be fantastically created and I believe they all have a type within the MBTI spectrum, even the characters that are killed off first. Please share your opinions as well! :D

Anthony Marston ESTP (SeTiFeNi)
This character is barely introduced before he's killed off, however we can pick up an easy Se-dom. He lives for the here and now and is in constant search for the next adrenaline kick. It's especially well noticed right before he dies, as he celebrates the accusations as "an exciting adventure". The tricky detail with Marston is his Auxiliary, respectively Tertiary functions. I first went for ESFP, but I argue ESTP because of his outwardly carelessness considering the deaths of John and Lucy Combes. I believe that's an effect of his Ti, processing that in a cold-fact-manner, rather than from personal inner values and morale. It's highly possible he is an Fe user, since he's an extremely social person.

Ethel Rogers ISFJ (SiFeTiNe)
This typing is highly based upon sterotypes, as the maid-character often is xSFJ of some kind. I can't really define why I believe Si-dom, it just felt more likely than Fe-dom. However she is some kind of Fe-user, definitely.

John MacArthur ENTJ (TeNiSeFi)
Also one of those characters with little to no development. The reason behind Te-dom is very much a guess, but I believe the death of his wife's lover was an effect of his Te, a need to control. The problem with a character such as MacArthur is his age. Normally a person would have developed a majority of their functions to a near full level, which can create trouble when typing the function order. I believe the most common type of MacArthur is some sort of xSTJ, however, I'm going for an Auxiliary Ni, mostly because of his prediction of what is supposed to happen on the island. Fact is, he's the only one becoming that apathic about it, which could be the effect of an Ni-conclusion. We shouldn't rule out that he could be, let's say an ISTP with a Tertiary Ni, however, ENTJ is a highly suitable type for general, like MacArthur was. In theory he could also be INTJ, with a strong Ni, but I definitely argue for him being an Inferior Fi over Inferior Se.

Thomas Rogers ISTJ (SiTeFiNe)
A rather colorless character. We don't really see much except for an extremely duty-based person when reading about him. He is seemingly very detached from emotions, in the way that he keeps performing his tasks even after his wife died, which is very SiTe-like of him. Since he's not a well-developed character, it's hard to define if whether or not he could be ESTJ. It's possible that his lack of emotions about his wife's death and the motivation behind his accused murder (together with Ethel) is the effect of an Inferior Fi. I will still argue that his way of fulfilling duties is more SiTe-machine-like than TeSi-adminstrative-like, and therefore making him Tertiary Fi and Inferior Ne; an ISTJ.

Emily Brent ESTJ (TeSiNeFi)
This is a character that for sure knows how she wants things. Created to seem fairly demanding at default with a seemingly strong taste for routines. Unlike Mr Rogers' SiTe-machine-like way of being, Brent display a more obvious TeSi-adminstrative-like behavior. What's interesting thing to point out here is that Emily Brent is the big jump in characters where they become more developed. From here and on, we learn to know the history of each character in a more decisive way, and Brent's vision of Beatrice is a strong support to her Tertiary Ne, in a negative way. Her Inferior Fi is displayed by her way of surpressing morals and inner values until it's stressed out, which in many cases results in it being highly affected by her Te-dom. One example is how she used Fi to deny Beatrice her job, because of an issue created by morality. Brent's Te possibly signaled she would lose if Beatrice was hired while in that situation, therefore Brent fired, and indirectly killed, her.

Lawrence Wargrave INTJ (NiTeFiSe)
Ah yes the classic "mastermind/evil-genius-type". It can't be avoided, Judge Wargrave is without a doubt a Te-Fi Aux-Tert. It could be argued for him being ISTJ, but it's way more likely that his big plan is an effect of a resourceful Ni, rather than a data-filled Si. He should not be confused with ENTJ, as his plan did not derive from his Te, but rather his Ni. We can cover his functions very easily.

Ni - Uses stored abstract data as an original idea for his plan. Ni stores relations, emotions and feelings rather than concrete data, which is very decisive for his memory of different convicted (or not convicted) felons. For him it most likely creates a plan from those little dusts of information and he can firmly shape it into something big.

Te - Implements his Ni-plan in the external world. EXTREMELY developed, but not dominant. Very precise in his way of making sure the plan goes like it was supposed to, including fooling Armstrong and faking his own death.

Fi - Perhaps the most decisive function in this entire book, as it enforces the morality Wargrave in the end leads by. His Fi tells him these obvious criminals should have been convicted, and therefore he takes matters in his own hands, using that precise NiTe combination. Fi is only there to give a reason in this case, which ultimately gives us this story.

Se - Probably the one I can argue for the least. As we rarely see Wargrave under stress (a time where the Inferior Function tends to show) it's hard to define, and separate from a potential Inferior Ne (if he was ISTJ). The only thing that could make me claim he is in fact a Se user is his very decisive way of doing things in the heat of the moment. All those murders take a special kind of presence, not the least his own (the faked one).

Edward Armstrong ESFJ (FeSiNeTi)
Dr Armstrong is the most important piece in Judge Wargrave's mastermind plan, as he fakes Wargrave's death, using the trust he built up by being a doctor, and later on gets killed by Wargrave, leading to him looking like the guilty (as Wargrave at this point is established dead, and Armstrong is gone without a trace). But what makes Dr Edward Armstrong an Fe-dom? Well first off, the man is obsessed with social status, that he basically ranks all prisoners on the island from how likely they are the murderer, purely based upon their social status. This ultimately becomes his death as he trusts Wargrave, mostly because of him being a judge and a highly respected man. This also supports his Inferior Ti, meaning he lacks the ability to critically think about the situations and tends to base it all off of norms and emotions. This is why Wargrave picked him. His Si is visible through his tendencies to see the black and white picture. He constantly scuffs away the accusations against him being the murderer simply because he lacks the ability to see the wider picture that an Ne would allow, as he's very certain his way is the right way, that he impossibly could be the killer. After all, he's a doctor. However his Tertiary Ne kicks in from time to time, and it's likely that his plan with Wargrave was an effect of his Ne searching a new way to deal with the murderers and trying to figure out the actual killer.

William Blore ISTP (TiSeNiFe)
Perhaps a little stereotypical for an undercover investigator like Blore, but it's highly likely this man is an ISTP. Blore uses his Ti-dom to understand the world around him in a logical, analytical manner. He views everything with skepticism and doesn't really trust anyone, except for potentially Lombard. Now, Blore focuses his extroversion upon the concrete here-and-now, and seeks to understand it. Using this combination, he becomes very aware of his surroundings, which seemed to be the winning concept for staying alive longer. His Tertiary Ni is a little harder to argue for, but it's likely his Ni kicked in during his final alive seconds, right before Wargrave kills him with the bear, as he sees the body of Armstrong and connects that he is not the killer. If he considered Lombard or Vera as potential killers or actually saw a third possibility (e.g Wargrave) is unsure. In the 1945 movie version, Blore actually exclaims "I get it!" as he discoveres Armstrong's dead body and presumably realizes that the gulit lies in Wargrave's hands, something that is extremely likely a Tertiary Ni-user would do. However, the book version is not as verbal about his discovery. Lastly, Blore's inferior Fe disallows him to trust his surroundings too much, only having a little faith in Lombard. Unlike Lombard, who has a higher Fe (explained in next typing), Blore didn't get too affected by trusting people, which probably kept him alive for as long as he did (the opposite of Armstrong actually). In the end, Lombard suffered from that in a fatal way that Blore successfully avoided, because of that Inferior Fe.

Philip Lombard ESTP (SeTiFeNi)
Lombard is a very clear ExxP persona, everything is about the external perceiving process for him which is shaped by his internal judging ability. Foremost, he scans his surroundings in a concrete fashion. He seeks to understand it using his analytical logic way. He's a very rough type, prepared for anything by bringing his gun to the island. He's incredibly risk-taking and has a very noticable presence in comparison to the other prisoners (except for possibly Marston). His weakness lies within his weak Fe, which made him too chivalrous in his thought about women. When first discussing a potential murderer, he discloses the theory that it could be a woman, for he believed a woman could not have such homicidal tendencies. His death is an effect of trusting Vera too much, leading to her taking his gun, and consequently shooting him. Unlike Blore, his trust was too high, but not Fe-dom, "Armstrong-high". Finally, his Ni is quite difficult to pinpoint, but it could be his difficulties understanding the information his Se brings in. He's rarely right (except for suspecting Wargrave at one point), just rough enough to stay alive. In the 1945 movie version, Lombard's Ni kicks in in the very end, and saves him from his death, by convincing Vera that someone else is still alive, and they have to fake his death to find the real killer. If he realised this in the book as well, just failed to convince Vera, is very unclear.

Vera Claythorne ISFJ (SiFeTiNe)
I was debating between ISFJ and ISFP for her for awhile, but finally settled for a SiFeTiNe combination. This was mostly because of her very likely Si-dom that takes form in her obsession with the nursery rhyme, more than for anyone else on the island. She absolutely adores it because it reminds her of childhood days, and it serves as nostalgic satisfaction for her. However, it is more clear she's an Si user when it's combined with her Auxiliary Fe, because she is extremely prone to do anything for the people below her wings. Including sending a little boy to his death. In this case, her Si works as a black-and-white function combined with her Inferior Ne, she saw it as the only possibility. Her Inferior Ne also shows towards the very end of the novel, as she decides to hang herself under extreme pressure since she's so insanely traumatised and, perhaps, not considering another way out. It's possible her Inferior Ne filters out other possibilities. I do however have a hard time defining her Tertiary Ti. I guess it's possible that her Ti was what pulled the trigger against Lombard. Fact is, she very thoroughly analyses the situation by constructing an understanding of what's going. Since she and Lombard were the only two people left (or so she thought) in the end, and she knew was not the murderer, it had to be Lombard. However, her Ti is accompanied by the information gathered from her Si, making her unable to fully understand the situation. One could actually say she enters a Si-Ti loop towards the end. For an example, a balanced INTP in that situation would have been able to bring in the possibility of someone else being behind it all. But Vera being so concrete in her observation only saw two people, and no other possibility. Her Ti was used, but in an imbalanced manner, and her Ne was left unused, making Vera Claythorne an ISFJ.

Anthony Marston - ESxP (ESXP but I think more F, because one of my best friends is ESTP and I do not see a bad side of this my friend very much like the character.
Ethel Rogers - ISFJ (clear)
John MacArthur - ESFJ (All ESFJ I know have that feel of beeing Introvert but they arent, he is a EXFJ clear but I think more S than N)
Thomas Rogers - ISTJ or ENTJ (XXTJ clear)
Emily Brent - ESTJ or ENFJ because of her religious craze and to his work which attempts to teach and bring out the best of children.
Lawrence Wargrave - INTJ (I agree with all you said)
Edward Armstrong - ENTP (I think more P than J)
William Blore - ISXJ (Probably ISTJ)
Philip Lombard - ISTP (why do you say E, I think he is a clear I, S - Check, T - Check P - Check;
Vera Claythorne - ENFP (we can say that she is a I, but she is pretending and she wants a lot of attention like Lombard said, ENFP are probably the most histerical type, like Vera was, and they are always connecting things.
What you think?