User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your take on Ayn Rand's major works of fiction?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an INTJ and I'm a fan

4 8.89%
  • I'm an ENTJ and I'm a fan

2 4.44%
  • I'm an INTP and I'm a fan

2 4.44%
  • I'm an ENTP and I'm a fan

1 2.22%
  • I'm an INFJ and I'm a fan

0 0%
  • I'm an ENFJ and I'm a fan

0 0%
  • I'm an INFP and I'm a fan

3 6.67%
  • I'm an ENFP and I'm a fan

0 0%
  • I'm an ISTJ and I'm a fan

1 2.22%
  • I'm an ISTP and I'm a fan

0 0%
  • I'm an INTJ and I'm not a fan

9 20.00%
  • I'm an ENTJ and I'm not a fan

1 2.22%
  • I'm an INTP and I'm not a fan

9 20.00%
  • I'm an ENTP and I'm not a fan

4 8.89%
  • I'm an INFJ and I'm not a fan

2 4.44%
  • I'm an ENFJ and I'm not a fan

0 0%
  • I'm an INFP and I'm not a fan

2 4.44%
  • I'm an ENFP and I'm not a fan

2 4.44%
  • I'm an ISTJ and I'm not a fan

0 0%
  • I'm an ISTP and I'm not a fan

3 6.67%
First 234

MBTI
    INTJ

Jesus and Nietzsche walk into a bar.

Jesus says to Nietzsche "I totally understand how you are feeling", then pulls out a gun and shoots his brains out.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    On balance...well, yes. You can have properties of both, but in the end I think you can be judged to be one or the other. Here's something I wrote on my blog a couple years ago that sums it up.

I was having a discussion the other day with a very smart friend of mine about whether the world was made up of black and white or shades of gray. She was on the side of gray, which is funny, because she's an engineer. And I, the man of letters, was on the side of black and white. But I won her over by appealing to the engineer in her. Here's my argument...I'm interested in what you all have to offer on the topic.

Let's take a typical decision that you might make..."Should I go out to dinner tonight?" Now, you might run through a million arguments in your mind on each side. But in the end, you are either going to go, or you are not going to go. We may think in shades of gray, but we can only act in black and white. Yes or no. Zeroes or ones. I hate to quote Yoda, since I hate the little bugger, but "Do or do not...there is no try." Now, some of these yes or no decisions are infinitesimally small. "The blue shirt or the red shirt?"..."Soup or salad?"..."Jeopardy! or The Simpsons?" But big decisions are made up of these little decisions. Zeroes and ones.

Now, without examining our actions closely, it may seem like we do gray things. Let's take an example. Say you were to ask a woman for a date. But what if you were talking to her, lost the courage, and instead asked her to join a group of friends for an outing? It might be said that you acted gray because you chickened out and did it halfway. But you made conscious yes or no decisions through the entire process. To wit:

She's hot. Should I talk to her? YES
    Wow, I'm scared. Should I still ask her out? NO
    Should I instead ask her on a group date? YES

See? Life is like a flow chart.

Now, many of these black and white decisions are small, and make up a larger decision. So from a distance life appears gray. But, just like newsprint, if you examine the gray closely, you find that it's made up of millions of little black and white dots.

Zeroes and ones.
    Your argument wouldn't have won me over, I don't live my life in black and white despite having an engineering degree and being INTJ. Your flow chart needs more options than two. I see everything as a spectrum and a choice.

One of the things I've discovered about people who are black and white is that they only see 2 choices and I see many more possibilities. Even if the other choices are not obvious or require additional steps or combining things they are there. It is easier to make decisions when there are only 2 choices so black and white people ignore all the other possibilities. I may eventually narrow down my decision to the same two choices, but I evaluated a lot of others along the way.

Oh and I don't like Ayn Rand.

MBTI
    eNTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    LIE

On balance...well, yes. You can have properties of both, but in the end I think you can be judged to be one or the other. Here's something I wrote on my blog a couple years ago that sums it up.

I was having a discussion the other day with a very smart friend of mine about whether the world was made up of black and white or shades of gray. She was on the side of gray, which is funny, because she's an engineer. And I, the man of letters, was on the side of black and white. But I won her over by appealing to the engineer in her. Here's my argument...I'm interested in what you all have to offer on the topic.

Let's take a typical decision that you might make..."Should I go out to dinner tonight?" Now, you might run through a million arguments in your mind on each side. But in the end, you are either going to go, or you are not going to go. We may think in shades of gray, but we can only act in black and white. Yes or no. Zeroes or ones. I hate to quote Yoda, since I hate the little bugger, but "Do or do not...there is no try." Now, some of these yes or no decisions are infinitesimally small. "The blue shirt or the red shirt?"..."Soup or salad?"..."Jeopardy! or The Simpsons?" But big decisions are made up of these little decisions. Zeroes and ones.

Now, without examining our actions closely, it may seem like we do gray things. Let's take an example. Say you were to ask a woman for a date. But what if you were talking to her, lost the courage, and instead asked her to join a group of friends for an outing? It might be said that you acted gray because you chickened out and did it halfway. But you made conscious yes or no decisions through the entire process. To wit:

She's hot. Should I talk to her? YES
    Wow, I'm scared. Should I still ask her out? NO
    Should I instead ask her on a group date? YES

See? Life is like a flow chart.

Now, many of these black and white decisions are small, and make up a larger decision. So from a distance life appears gray. But, just like newsprint, if you examine the gray closely, you find that it's made up of millions of little black and white dots.

Zeroes and ones.

Exactly. There are always an infinite number of possibilities to theorize about the simplest decision, but all the petty things in life always fall into the gray. To fully and completely reign in one's universe, it's best to leave the gray to the peasants and only deal with the black or white.

"I have no need for good souls; an accomplice is what I want"--Sartre

psychic changes are born in your heart, entertain.

Blog

Are you guys talking about black and white thinking or black and white decision making?
    The former may be limiting, and the latter is just common sense.

Without decisions, it will be really hard to advance in anything.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Are you guys talking about black and white thinking or black and white decision making?
    The former may be limiting, and the latter is just common sense.

Without decisions, it will be really hard to advance in anything.
    A P talking about black and white decision makings?

Why I never!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow_Jem View Post
    She wrote and conveyed her ideas in a way that no one else has done. Straightforward, to the point, and hits you as hard as a bullet.

since when is a 60 page "final speech" considered straight forward?

MBTI
    nnnn

Yes, there always is. Many times, there are four, five, six alternatives. The point is that it can be determined. To me, gray is just throwing up your hands.
    I'm all about grey.

And electric blue, but that's another thing altogether.

Good question.

MBTI
    ERTP

Ok, so Hobbes, Nietzsche, and Ayn Rand walk into a bar.

Nietzsche: (to Rand) Want a taste of my 'skyscraper', baby?

Hobbes: Hah! I bet its solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

Nietzsche: Actually, it's beyond good and evil.

Rand: A building has integrity just like a man. And just as seldom.

[...]

Mycroft: Only INJs can be this intense!

Err... I'll just log off now
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Mycroft: Only INJs can be this intense!
    ...whu?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Your argument wouldn't have won me over, I don't live my life in black and white despite having an engineering degree and being INTJ. Your flow chart needs more options than two. I see everything as a spectrum and a choice.
    Other than the "INTJ" part I'm exactly the same way (degree included).

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    since when is a 60 page "final speech" considered straight forward?
    BlueWing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Oh and MacGuffin: Nice to see you posting a little about yourself and not just edgey one-liners. I often wondered what the character behind all those clever tricks was like
    Take it from me, that guy's a jerk!