• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron types

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
The new movie is out. If you haven't seen it, it's something you should definitely put on your list. I did do an Avengers thread, but Age of Ultron introduced some new characters, and also, I've changed my mind about some types.

Captain America-ISTJ (I'd say he's an ESTJ in the comics, but ISTJ in the movies. The movie version seems to show a much stronger Fi than the comic version.)
Iron Man-ENTP
Bruce Banner-INTP
Thor-ESTP
Black Widow-ISTP
Hawkeye-ISTP
Quicksilver-ESFP/ISFP (could be any of the artisans really.)
Scarlet Witch-INFP
Ultron-ENTJ/ENFJ (still trying to decide between the two.)
Nick Fury-ENTJ
Agent Hill-ISTP
Jarvis-ENTP
Strucker-??TJ
Vision-????

So, any thoughts on Vision or Strucker's types.

xaviergx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Captain America - ISFJ it is obvious
Iron Man - ENTP
Bruce Banner - INTP duh
Thor - ESFP he is not a T at all. He uses way too much Fi.
Black Widow - ISTP
Hawkeye - ISxP leaning towards T but F is a possibility.
Quicksilver - ESTP in the comics he is an ESTP and in the movie he also seemed very ESTP like.
Scarlet Witch - INFP
Ultron - INTJ there should be no question here. He uses Ni to the max. ENFJ is such a wack typing. He is supposed to model Stark in a lot of ways so only an NT type would make sense.
Nick Fury - ENTJ
Agent Hill - ENTJ
Vision - INTP most Androids are INTPs.
Strucker - ESTJ

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Iron Man - ENTP
Bruce Banner - INTP duh
Black Widow - ISTP
Quicksilver - ESTP in the comics he is an ESTP and in the movie he also seemed very ESTP like.
Scarlet Witch - INFP
Ultron - INTJ there should be no question here. He uses Ni to the max. ENFJ is such a wack typing. He is supposed to model Stark in a lot of ways so only an NT type would make sense.
Nick Fury - ENTJ
Agent Hill - ENTJ
Strucker - ESTJ
I agree with these typings. And ultron is definitely INTJ. As an AI he can't be introverted or extroverted, however his function stack resembles INTJ the most.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Captain America-ISTJ (I'd say he's an ESTJ in the comics, but ISTJ in the movies. The movie version seems to show a much stronger Fi than the comic version.)
I'd say Cap is a good example of a strong ISFJ character. He's not the submissive Enneagram type 2 kind of ISFJ, but rather one that has a very firm idea of the ideals he wants to live up to. ISTJs are more concerned with effectiveness, while Cap is more concerned with teamwork.

Iron Man-ENTP
Yeah, that's the typical typing, but he really doesn't come across as an Ne-dom. Also, Downey's ENTJ personality bleeds through a bit. So Iron Man comes across as both ENTP and ENTJ, depending on context. He's just a wild and unpredictable ENTJ. Type 7 Enneagram for sure.

Bruce Banner-INTP
Standard Enneagram type 5 INTP stereotype, yes.

Thor-ESTP
Naw. ESFP all the way. Just watch the beginning portions of the first movie, the young Thor whom Odin must punish.

Black Widow-ISTP
Hm. This is too cut-and-dried. Yes, her assassin/ninja characterization would normally be typical ISTP, but ISTPs tend not to have mad people-manipulation skills. Also, Johansson's typed as ISTP on Celebrity Types, and that would tend to bleed through into her character, biasing the character type reading towards ISTP.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, INFJ (Ni-Fe), stressed and traumatized to usually act more ISTP (Ti-Se, her tertiary and inferior). [MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION], would you have an opinion on this (assuming you watched either of the Avengers movies)?

My reasoning is the extra backstory, showing how she was raised and trained. So she is an all-out martial artist style of assassin, but she is especially good at seduction and persuasion and insight, which don't come up so much in the typical plotlines. A good rare example of what I'm talking about is figuring out Loki's plan: it was a totally INFJ approach. Explore his personality, find the patterns, then catch the clues. There was nothing LOGICAL about that observation, and attributing it to tertiary Ni is a bit of a stretch, I think.

What do the rest of you think?

Hawkeye-ISTP
Yeah, probably. He's not well-developed enough to know with any certainty, though.

Quicksilver-ESFP/ISFP (could be any of the artisans really.)
I'd agree with SP. Probably extroverted: Se dom makes sense over Fi/Ti dom. Not sure of T or F.

Scarlet Witch-INFP
Yeah. Almost certainly. A tightly wired bundle of emotions.

I might be biased a bit, however, as a close INFP friend of mine is Serbian, and the vibe from both of them is very similar, and it might be a cultural (i.e., East European) vibe, not a typological one.

Ultron-ENTJ/ENFJ (still trying to decide between the two.)
ENTJ. Remember, he's kinda-sorta got Stark's thinking programmed into him. Very practical direct approach to problem-solving.

Nick Fury-ENTJ
Nick Fury's type is "Samuel L. Jackson"

But yeah, in terms of character, ENTJ with a big vision for SHIELD.

Agent Hill-ISTP
You're typing all the "agent" types as ISTPs.

Hill is ENTJ, almost certainly. If Nick Fury isn't around, she immediately takes charge. She does the kinds of things that would bore the hell out of an ISTP. She doesn't just jump in and improvise the way an ISTP would. Cobie Smulders is also typed as ENTJ by Celebrity Types, so the personalities sync up fairly well.

Jarvis-ENTP
INTP, not ENTP. I don't get a sense of dominant Ne from Jarvis.

Surprisingly, INTP personality fits very well with the typical butler character. Reserved and intelligent, with enough access to tertiary Si to stay in touch with proper form and etiquette.

Strucker-??TJ
Not enough info, really.

Vision-????
INTP. Very much like Data from Star Trek TNG. BUT might reveal other personality quirks later that would contradict the initial assessment. After all, he's only one day old. ;)

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I know of the Vision from the comics, he seems like an INTP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I know of the Vision from the comics, he seems like an INTP.

It would explain why I was so excited to see him finally show up in a movie. ;)

... but yes, the very measured, reasoned analysis and extremely "Informative" approach accompanied by calmness/unflappability. There's also a lack of aggression; he does what makes sense after considering a situation in detached way, versus trying to appease some internal feeling or what others tell him to do.

I liked his conversation with Ultron at the end. They were just talking, and The Vision was explaining his views, and was even a bit bemused. There was no malice there and a largeness to his perspective.

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's no way thor is Fi. I see Fe in him but not Fi. I'd agree witH ESTP. ESFJ if ESTP is not possible. I just don't see how thor is an individualized and a hyper sensitive person, which are traits associated with Fi.
Iron Man - ENTP
Bruce Banner - INTP duh
Black Widow - ISTP
Scarlet Witch - INFP
Nick Fury - ENTJ
Agent Hill - ENTJ
Strucker - ESTJ

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would explain why I was so excited to see him finally show up in a movie. ;)

... but yes, the very measured, reasoned analysis and extremely "Informative" approach accompanied by calmness/unflappability. There's also a lack of aggression; he does what makes sense after considering a situation in detached way, versus trying to appease some internal feeling or what others tell him to do.

I liked his conversation with Ultron at the end. They were just talking, and The Vision was explaining his views, and was even a bit bemused. There was no malice there and a largeness to his perspective.
Yes. All of this.

In that way, he reminds of DC's Martian Manhunter quite a bit. They both have that calm, detached, unflappable thing going on.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. All of this.

In that way, he reminds of DC's Martian Manhunter quite a bit. They both have that calm, detached, unflappable thing going on.

I'd agree with this.

However, I'd also point out that this is kind of an idealization. INTPs aren't uniformly unflappable. Rather, it's a common pose they adopt, necessarily shunting emotions off to one side. That inferior Fe is much like the ExTJ's inferior Fi: a sore spot that can quickly erupt in an uncharacteristically thinking-dom way. It is in fact why they adopt the pose. Letting that inferior Fe out has burned them in the past, and they refuse to let it affect them now.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
As much I as I would like to think that Captain America is an F type,(with him being one of my three favorite superheroes and all), his Te is too obvious. He is an expert strategist and has no reservations of having absolute command. I don't understand how this is so hard to see. Te is in his name. CAPTAIN America. And I think him always speaking up when he has something to say without changing one word of what he's thinking is a perfect example of his lack of Fe. Captain America has a simple way of commanding. No passive-aggressiveness. No trying to ask in the most polite way possible. It's just "Here's what I want you to do, now do t." Cap is the rock of the team, while an F would be to delicate.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] I just now have a moment to reply. I wanted to make sure I had adequate time to give you a good reply:) BECAUSE I really like the Avengers, especially Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow [along with Daredevil, X-men, Green Arrow, Teen Titans, Warlord, Arion, Master of Kung Fu, Cloak and Dagger, Iron Fist and a bunch more...I've read lots of comic books, but prefer the 70s-80s-90s renditions of many of them. However, that's another subject.]. ]I haven't watched the Age of Ultron yet, but I have watched the first two Avengers movies, the Iron Man movies, Thor and Captain America.

I'd say Cap is a good example of a strong ISFJ character.
I'd agree with you on this. In fact, I'd say he's like the poster child of the ultimate ISFJ, the heroic version. I know, in real life, many ISFJs who are much like Steve Rogers. They just don't have super powers, but I work with them every day. Elementary schools are filled with ISFJs. They have the discipline and idealism to teach children, to lead the team [and they do it every day, uncelebrated, without fanfare] sacrifice and "take one for the team." The way he wanted to fight for his country [his team] even when he was just a weak little guy, the way that he wanted to go after his men [in the Captain America movie] and his huge emphasis on team-work with his comrades in the war, with Bucky, and even the way the supposed death of Phil Colson spurred him to action, all testify of an ISFJ. I'd also like to say that I've seen MANY [I'm talking about 35 people that I work with daily] ISFJs who are fully capable of forming, executing and carrying out strategies, especially if the welfare of their "team" is at stake. I've seen them with rock-solid strength courage and tenacity. We can't assume that F's would be delicate on a battlefield. I knew a sweet little ISFJ man who lived up the road from us, a tinkerer, who was a decorated war vet. I would say that like Steve Rogers, prior to being injected with the serum, ISFJs may appear fragile, but they are often steadfast rocks of fortitude, determination and strength. And any ISFJ that was injected with a super serum, might become a bit more "assertive." Also, his willingness to put himself in harm's way for others speaks more of Si-Fe and than Si-Te-Fi. Also, when ISFJs are "in command" they can most definitely give direct orders.

ISTJs are more concerned with effectiveness, while Cap is more concerned with teamwork.
Yes.

Hm. This is too cut-and-dried.

I agree.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, INFJ (Ni-Fe), stressed and traumatized to usually act more ISTP (Ti-Se, her tertiary and inferior).
I do have some thoughts on this. I'm not going to emphatically claim that she's a stressed INFJ, but I am going to say that I think you may be onto something and that you make a good case of it.

Yes, her assassin/ninja characterization would normally be typical ISTP, but ISTPs tend not to have mad people-manipulation skills.

A lot of people automatically tend to classify assassin/secret agents as ISTPs, but a well-trained INFJ, especially one who had been traumatized and was under stress, would be fully capable of these same things, especially the agent part. INFJs make great "vigilantes," btw, just saying.

My reasoning is the extra backstory, showing how she was raised and trained. So she is an all-out martial artist style of assassin, but she is especially good at seduction and persuasion and insight, which don't come up so much in the typical plotlines. A good rare example of what I'm talking about is figuring out Loki's plan: it was a totally INFJ approach. Explore his personality, find the patterns, then catch the clues. There was nothing LOGICAL about that observation, and attributing it to tertiary Ni is a bit of a stretch, I think.
I absolutely agree with this. In that scene, she totally sizes his intentions and his character up then manipulates him into thinking he has manipulated her. That is some off-the-chart Ni+Fe mastery. She had to read him with uncanny accuracy [Ni] then predict how he would respond mentally and emotionally [Fe], then feed him the info she knew would cause him to react the way she wanted him to [Fe] then predict how he would respond, even gamble on it [Ni]. AND she did it automatically. I'm not saying emphatically that an ISTP couldn't do it. What I am saying is that it would be like mental "checkmate" for an INFJ. It would be a game of emotional strategy. In that scene it's like she and Loki are playing a game of mind-chess, each trying to manipulate the other [maybe he's the same type], but she was better at the game, at the strategy than he was. Black Widow was also the one sent to talk Hulk into coming to the Avengers, for what it's worth.

Also, Johansson's typed as ISTP on Celebrity Types, and that would tend to bleed through into her character, biasing the character type reading towards ISTP.
Yes, I think so. However, I'm not sure that I agree with all of the types on Celebrity Types. I think a few of them may be questionable.

Also, Hawkeye is different on the movie than in the comics. He talks a lot more in the comics, at least in the older ones. I like him better on the movie.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Captain America - ISFJ
Iron Man - ENTP
Black Widow - I know ISTP is the knee jerk answer here, but I'm honestly not sure.
Banner - INTP
Thor - ESFP
Hawkeye - ISFP
Ultron - ENTJ (Id said P elsewhere, but J is more likely)
Vision - INFJ
Quicksilver - ESTP
Scarlett Witch - INFP
Nick Fury - ENTJ

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I thought INTP for Jarvis and ESFP for Thor (I considered ESTP, but thought if he was ESTP I wouldn't have liked him as much... lol). INFP for Scarlet Witch does make the most sense. I thought ENTJ for Iron Man. The others I hadn't really considered, I didn't pay as much attention to them.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hawkeye - ISFP
I could go along with this. He's definitely the moodiest of the assassin types, and his backstory in Age of Ultron has a lot of heart.

Vision - INFJ
Hmm. I don't think that's impossible, but I didn't see any evidence for that. I've known a lot of INFJs in my time, and they definitely don't vibe like that. Perhaps his character development will go in that direction in later movies: it's always fun to do the "how human can an AI be?" kinds of plots.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could go along with this. He's definitely the moodiest of the assassin types, and his backstory in Age of Ultron has a lot of heart.

There's a distinction I sense between him and presumably ISTP Black Widow. The scene between him and Scarlet Witch on the floating city is also more exasperated Fi/Te than Ti/Fe to me.

Hmm. I don't think that's impossible, but I didn't see any evidence for that. I've known a lot of INFJs in my time, and they definitely don't vibe like that. Perhaps his character development will go in that direction in later movies: it's always fun to do the "how human can an AI be?" kinds of plots.

INTP is possible. His particular notion of responsibility struck me as Fe, and I'm just more accustomed to thinking of INTPs as pointedly amoral. The line where he talks about the beauty of humanity almost inspite of ourselves did ring more INTP, though, just in how he delivered it. The sort of awe at just the "simple fact of the thing".

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's a distinction I sense between him and presumably ISTP Black Widow. The scene between him and Scarlet Witch on the floating city is also more exasperated Fi/Te than Ti/Fe to me.
Good call!

INTP is possible. His particular notion of responsibility struck me as Fe, and I'm just more accustomed to thinking of INTPs as pointedly amoral. The line where he talks about the beauty of humanity almost inspite of ourselves did ring more INTP, though, just in how he delivered it. The sort of awe at just the "simple fact of the thing".

Yeah, the total vibe is INTP. INTPs - the good ones - definitely have a sense of responsibility (especially if tapping into Si in a positive way), and are not as amoral as you might think. They're "unemotional", not "amoral": a huge distinction. Not that amorality is impossible in the type, but that would most likely be found in the disintegrated type 5 INTPs than for other Enneagram types.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, the total vibe is INTP. INTPs - the good ones - definitely have a sense of responsibility (especially if tapping into Si in a positive way), and are not as amoral as you might think. They're "unemotional", not "amoral": a huge distinction. Not that amorality is impossible in the type, but that would most likely be found in the disintegrated type 5 INTPs than for other Enneagram types.

I can relate to that as a T-dom. I think there's always a sort of tension for T-doms between "innocence" and "pragmatism", or at least that's how I experience the T/F divide within myself, and I tend to see some version of that in INTPs as well. Perhaps it's an enneagram thing as many INTPs tend to be 5s and some ENTJs tend to be 8s. I don't get the sense that either type falling along the 3-6-9 spectrum feels that tension as starkly, but I could be mistaken. Anyways, bit of a digression, but yeah, INTP is probably more accurate.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTP is possible. His particular notion of responsibility struck me as Fe, and I'm just more accustomed to thinking of INTPs as pointedly amoral.

INTPs boast about being amoral when they're being intellectually lazy. They usually act as though some actions are desirable, and some aren't. That's a system of morality or ethics, whether they'll admit it or no. (I think they throw around the "amoral" thing because they think it makes them sound badass, or is going to piss off their mom.)

If you use phrases like "evil" or call someone a "terrible person" and judge their actions, that's a moral judgement, my friend. Just because you have different ideas about morality than the society you grew up in doesn't make you amoral. I suppose many INTPs are inclined to be fence-sitters, but that kind of INTP I'm cool with. I get that.

The ones who I suppose I might call truly amoral come off like the whiny nihilists from the Big Lebowski. Ultimately, Walter was right, and they are cowards. The only thing to do with those types is to just ignore their bullshit and tune them out. Handing them the money won't work, because they'll ask for something else.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Who were the characters in the movie who were like "we can't let any single person die!" even though they were at the brink of destruction of the whole world? Idk if that has anything to do with type, but it just seemed really stupid.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Who were the characters in the movie who were like "we can't let any single person die!" even though they were at the brink of destruction of the whole world? Idk if that has anything to do with type, but it just seemed really stupid.

Interesting. Another point for Hawkeye as ISFP, as he almost died to save a single child. Black widow would have radioed one of the more durable Avengers to go get the child.

As for the "seemed really stupid", I'm sure Nick Fury would agree with you, which is why he brought the helicarrier to run rescue operations, so the Avengers could take care of the task at hand.