• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you think of the blog "Funky MBTI Fiction" ?

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm just curious about what other MBTI enthusiasts think about a blog called "Funky MBTI Fiction." Here's a link for those interested:

Funky MBTI in Fiction

What do you think? Is she the "last word" on the MBTI of fictional characters? Does she make mistakes?

big sexy

MBTI Type
INfP
I don't see why they would be the 'final word' more than anyone else. Looking over the list I see some I strongly disagree with. They can make mistakes like anyone else, plus typing fictional characters is often a matter of interpretation anyway.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
creating a tumblr account (or buying a domain name) doesn't give anyone authority on guessing types. their guesses are just as valid as anyone posting here.

i do like trying to figure out types of pop culture figures, and seeing if other people agree, but it's more fun on a forum because you can see the arguments and differing opinions. obviously there's nothing exact about it, especially when it comes to fictional characters.

allycat800

MBTI Type
INFP
They (or she, although she doesn't type all of them) are definitely not the authority on character types, and there are a handful that I wholeheartedly disagree with, but it at the end of the day, it is their opinion. I enjoy going there sometimes to see what they have and the explanations are nice. As I said, there's a bunch that I think are really off, but then there are some that I'm like, "thank God someone got it right!", and then there are even write ups that change my mind. I treat it much like I do this website, another source of MBTI information. Also, the moderator on the blog is quite active on personality cafe, so the typings on the blog strongly reflect the opinions on that site, or rather, some of the older, "more knowledgeable", users' opinion on the site.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
good for entertainment purposes, little more.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I read it and I couldn't figure out if whoever was writing it was a guy or a girl. One day everything would point female and then the next post would say something that would make me question. Is it two people or one?

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I read it and I couldn't figure out if whoever was writing it was a guy or a girl. One day everything would point female and then the next post would say something that would make me question. Is it two people or one?

A woman named Charity serves as the head moderator (and founder) of the blog. She has other mods who take up some of the workload, I think. They might be male.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read it. I dropped it when Charlie from Perks was typed ISTJ.

ChrisTheRipper

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I read it. I dropped it when Charlie from Perks was typed ISTJ.

Or when Hannibal Lecter from "Hannibal" was typed as an INFJ when he is an INTJ in my view.

When you have to type a lot of characters at once you tend to get them wrong often, since they just become pictures on the background of many other characters, so you tend to find it harder to zoom in. Also I think the person behind the typings is an INFJ, since so much information is generalized without too much evidence. (hence inferior Se) She should really let experienced INTPs or INFPs do the typing. I think many people will be confused with their typings next to hers since her blog is organized, very well constructed and gives the air of authority - some mbti enthusiasts won't even question her results...
In contrast to that I would say her theory explanations without giving examples in regards to cognitive functions are quite good. I also appreciate her helping other people with typing, although I am not sure how accurate it is and subsequently to what extent it can backfire.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's really fun to read fictional character typings. She has come up with a lot of ideas with the functions and I admire the effort put in to help people find their type. I've seen her account but i'm not telling what her username is :newwink: She is an ISFJ I think. Some of the typings are spot on and others are completely off. As for the function descriptions I think they need some improvement, but they're not bad. Many people say they learned MBTI from there so that must be a good thing.

I am really poor at reasoning about fictional types (a la inferior te) so its wrong for me to be critical of someone else.

ChrisTheRipper

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Indeed it is fun, I never thought getting in somebody's skin could be this exciting, especially when you have theories that seem to actually work in practice. Yeah, I think someone should reason with her and with the right arguments to persuade her to change some of the typings (definitely not me, because I am too lazy ;p)
I think she tested as an ISFJ but is actually a Ni dom, it's how I see it - her coming out with an a-ha idea, then synthesizing it so that it would be a short but convincing read for blog visitors. I think an ISFJ's focus on details would manifest itself a lot more than the blog shows. Good Fe users also may sometimes not be able to "identify" themselves properly, unconsciously mimicking patterns of behavior of others. But then again, I have seen it written somewhere about her thinking that she is an ISFJ, and who am I to speak of her cognition with such confidence?

At least there is evidence she helped somebody.

Hmm, then how come I sound so critical about her when I am supposedly an INFP? Hmm...

Last edited:

Monster

Enneagram
5w4
There's some interesting analyses , nevertheless , we can find a lot of crap.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I used to browse it often, now not so much. I like the fun there is in typing fictional characters; there were some typings of hers that I agreed with a lot and some that I just did not understand at all.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I check it out often. I remember one person typed a character (i forgot their name since I don't watch the show) as an si aux because they were confused about being turned into a mermaid. I guess they were trying to say she didn't like change? But anyway I'm pretty sure anyone would be shocked if they turned into a mermaid. So some of this stuff is definitely bs.

I really like the Mikasa analysis though.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know this is pure gossiping but

I don't agree with the mod's type. There is so much Fe in her posts, yet she seems to have abandoned her previous ISFJ typing and changed to ENFP. She claims she is Fi in a post because she doesn't talk about her feelings ever but then continues by expressing her thoughts and experiences with other people which doesn't include personal, subjective feelings at all. You can see Fe in the way she writes.

Also, about funkymbti itself, I really enjoy browsing the site and it's massive database of characters. The mod is a talented writer which really proves an advantage in the explanations of the function descriptions. The one thing I find myself disagreeing with is...Si. Every character typing I have seen on there seems to understand Si as being tied to their past, which is a vast simplification of introverted sensing as a function. How can anyone relate to it when it is described as remembering and nothing else?

However, the blog does seem to have a succinct understanding of the other functions. I'm very glad that the mod has acknowledged that daenerys is an xSFP (I typed her as an ISFP) I mean, sure having a blog doesn't make the mod an authority or anything, but to those who are very new to the mbti theory, it would come in very useful for them.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have it open in my tabs right now ;)

Hmm, when I first encountered that blog, I strongly disagreed with many of the typings and more. But after some time passed, I realized that in the end, those are her opinions and I have mine. Now I think she's very knowledgeable on her stuff. Plus I could kind of understand her type-hopping. That was definitely me a year ago.

I've seen the founder around on other forums, but I haven't actually talked to her.