MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Quote Originally Posted by Studmuffin23 View Post
    Anne Shirley- Anne of Green Gables
    I'm always a little puzzled as to why Anne is typed as INFP. I've read (and loved) Anne of Green Gables two or three times, and I'm leaning ENFP.
    Either way, I'm basically an older, more modern version of her.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1
    Likes Studmuffin23 liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Slightly off topic here, but this is a question I've had about INFPs for quite some time.

I understand (and heartily approve) of the internal rebar-like values possessed by the INFP, highly individualistic, but held as universal (e.g. each INFP has their OWN set, will defend them at all costs, but will not seek to *force* them on others, instead being quietly heartbroken over the failure of humans to live up to those ideals).

I understand that each INFP seeks both to gather as much of the human experience as possible, to help them identify ... as an INTJ, I don't think I have the proper words, but for the moment, call them "the essential components" of the human condition -- "what are the attitudes, the feelings, the longings, hurts, joys, sorrows, longings, common to humanity? What aspects of humanity do we all share?" And from these components, the INFP apparently derives their values, and seeks to refine them.

My question is this, @OrangeAppled -- in your quote above, you said the values are 'not static' and yet later in the sentence you said the INFP seeks to 'refine them'. My gut or heart or Ni or ...something... tells me this is true, but my brain is puzzled : if they are being refined, doesn't that mean they are changing?
    Yeah, that's why they are not static (as in, showing little or no change). What's the confusion over?

The only resolution of this I can see, is if one considers the simile, the word-picture-parable, as it were, of values being like the vibrating strings on a stringed instrument (*) -- as say, on a guitar compared to a tuning fork: the fork vibrates with a certain pitch, and the INFP uses the tuning key and listening for the "beats" as the string's frequency gets closer and closer to the "true" note. Or would it be more like, the INFP 'hears' a certain note representing the internal value, and is constantly plucking the strings while ranging their finger over the fretboard, trying to find which note corresponds to the one they hear?

(*) or, if you want to be swashbuckling about it, a chord: unique combinations and weightings of different elements in relation to one another. One tunes each string first, then identifies each note on each string, then correctly identifies the *chord*?

Way over my head here, I'll shut up and listen.
    I think those are all very nice metaphors . (Art, music, and poetry make for great metaphors for the Fi process, for obvious reasons).

And if a string is beyond repair, then maybe it gets replaced. The fine tuning is more common though,. But the idea of it all being in relation to other parts of a harmonious whole is correct.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Injustice Needs To stoP RandomINTP's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx

Hyuuga Hinata from Naruto
    Furukawa Nagisa from Clannad
    Tachibana Kanade from Angel Beats

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by themightyfetus View Post
    I'm always a little puzzled as to why Anne is typed as INFP. I've read (and loved) Anne of Green Gables two or three times, and I'm leaning ENFP.
    Either way, I'm basically an older, more modern version of her.
    How the HELL is a Fetus older than anyone?
    MBTI:
    Alignment: Chaotic-Neutral
    Sins: Pride > Sloth > Gluttony > Wrath > Greed > Lust > Envy

"Only two things are infinite. The universe, and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr. Seuss
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -J. K. Rowling

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Quote Originally Posted by RandomINTP View Post
    How the HELL is a Fetus older than anyone?
    The username is an inside joke with a lot of symbolism. I started a thread on it a while back. :P
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Yeah, that's why they are not static (as in, showing little or no change). What's the confusion over?

I think those are all very nice metaphors . (Art, music, and poetry make for great metaphors for the Fi process, for obvious reasons).

And if a string is beyond repair, then maybe it gets replaced. The fine tuning is more common though,. But the idea of it all being in relation to other parts of a harmonious whole is correct.
    If they are not at least quasi-static, then in seeking to refine them, you are chasing a moving target....<p>

Two possible ways to get out of the paradox: think of going to the opthamologist for one of those interminable eye exams:

Which is clearer? "One," (flips extra lens), "or Two?"
    "Good." "Now, Two?" (flips again), "or Three"

ad infinitum ad nauseum.

The target isn't really changing but the perception narrows down to the ideal...

OR...

the values themselves grow and mature over time...
    like a penciled-in concept for a sketch...
    to the sketch...
    to the coloured panel...
    to CGI rendering...
    to the full live-action motion picture.

Changing: but paradoxically, not losing their identity in such, rather, coming to fruition.

(That'll teach *me* to think like an engineer...!)

(INFPs *always* cross-pollinate my brain paths.) and
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

The main character from Perks of Being a Wallflower was verrrrry INFP.

As was the main character of the Kite Runner

MBTI
    INFP

Agree utterly on Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes.
    Violet from The Incredibles -- by golly, you're right, but I'd never considered her type before.

Vincent Van Gogh -- so obvious as to both require mentioning *and* hardly need it.
    Disagree on C.S. Lewis, to my mind he's INTJ. Consider this writing sample from one of his novels:

Pain came and went in his face: sudden jabs of sickening and burning pain. But as lightning goes through the darkness and the darkness closes up again and shows no trace, so the tranquillity of his countenance swallowed up each shock of torture. How could she have thought him young? Or old either? It came over her, with a sensation of quick fear, that this face was of no age at all. She had, or so she had believed, disliked bearded faces except for old men with white hair. But that was because she had long since forgotten the imagined Arthur of her childhood—and the imagined Solomon too. Solomon . . . for the first time in many years the bright solar blend of king and lover and magician which hangs about that name stole back upon her mind. For the first time in all those years she tasted the word King itself with all its linked associations of battle, marriage, priesthood, mercy, and power. At that moment, as her eyes first rested on his face, Jane forgot who she was, and where, and her faint grudge against Grace Ironwood, and her more obscure grudge 173 against Mark, and her childhood and her father’s house. It was, of course, only for a flash. Next moment she was once more the ordinary social Jane, flushed and confused to find that she had been staring rudely (at least she hoped that rudeness would be the main impression produced) at a total stranger. But her world was unmade; she knew that. Anything might happen now.

Very much expository, feels much more like Ni (themes in common, centripetal to a common center rather than branching and extending from a common point); but very much powered by Fi.

Rich Mullins -- very much so, if you consider this song:

I'm sorry. Your video is not showing up on my computer. What song is it?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bilbotook View Post
    I'm sorry. Your video is not showing up on my computer. What song is it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...aNwTYJrYtA#t=0

Rich Mullins, Calling Out Your Name. (Good dulcimer work with the vocals). It's on YouTube.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INFP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...aNwTYJrYtA#t=0

Rich Mullins, Calling Out Your Name. (Good dulcimer work with the vocals). It's on YouTube.
    Thanks.

MBTI
    INFP

Here's a list of INFP villains

Electro from Spider Man
    Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Ventriloquist from Batman
    The Mad Hatter from Batman