• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJ's in popular culture

allycat800

MBTI Type
INFP
Tenzin from Legend of Korra is probably ISTJ. While his type is contentious, I think Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender is ISTJ.

Tenzin is the most ISTJ to ISTJ! I hate it when people type him as INFJ, it's like, are you even watching his character?! I'm keeping Zuko for the INFPs though :dry:

To add to the ISTJ list:
Lin Beifong - Legend of Korra
Zhu Li - Legend of Korra
Angela - The Office
Hermione - Harry Potter (XSTJ)
Mikasa - Attack on Titan
Mr. Carson - Downton Abbey
Adrian Monk - Monk

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
After watching LOTR again just now, I've changed my mind about Aragorn. Like an Ni dom, he reads between the lines constantly, seeing the deeper meaning of information. No Si dom does that (or any sensor, for that matter).

Aragorn's an INTJ.

HA HA! No, ISTP sorry.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Tenzin is the most ISTJ to ISTJ! I hate it when people type him as INFJ, it's like, are you even watching his character?! I'm keeping Zuko for the INFPs though :dry:

To add to the ISTJ list:
Lin Beifong - Legend of Korra
Zhu Li - Legend of Korra
Angela - The Office
Hermione - Harry Potter (XSTJ)
Mikasa - Attack on Titan
Adrian Monk - Monk

Hermione is more of an ESTJ. Notice that an ISTJ just kind of rolls there eyes at stupidity. As an ESTJ Hermione isn't afraid of actually boldly pointing out stupidity. She is a very open minded person throughout the series, never missing an opportunity to call out her classmates' mistakes.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

To add to the ISTJ list:
Angela - The Office
Adrian Monk - Monk

These three characters are ISFJs, albeit two of them are unhealthy examples.

Angela and Monk are ISFJs stuck in a Si-Ti loop.

Other than that, it seems like a pretty good list.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I did in this very thread so LOOK FOR IT.

Yes, you did in your original post. My apologies.

I was actually hoping that you could give an argument based on the cognitive functions. Since we type characters by different methods, it would be extremely difficult to compare our conclusions.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Just read Shakespeare's "Macbeth" the other day. The protagonist, Macbeth, is a fairly strong example of an ISTJ.

I would definitely include him.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, you did in your original post. My apologies.

I was actually hoping that you could give an argument based on the cognitive functions. Since we type characters by different methods, it would be extremely difficult to compare our conclusions.

You know how most super cool mysterious heroes (James Bond for example) have that clear Ti of an ISTP. That's definitely Aragorn. He is always thinking before coming to conclusions, whereas Gandalf uses his Ni and makes connections right on the spot with what he knows. And Aragorn obviously uses more Se than Te. He'd rather be slaughtering orcs than be ruling the kingdom.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
You know how most super cool mysterious heroes (James Bond for example) are have that clear Ti of an ISTP. That's definitely Aragorn. He is always thinking before coming to conclusions, whereas Gandalf uses his Ni and makes connections right on the spot with what he knows. And Aragorn obviously uses more Se than Te. He'd rather be slaughtering orcs than be ruling the kingdom.

I'm actually glad you brought up Ti and Ni, because the two are frequently confused.

The "cool, collected, and mysterious" function is Ni. It knows what's going to happen before it happens, and can find out what's going on behind the scenes with ease. It doesn't often share it's reasoning with others; it doesn't feel the need to. That's James Bond (INTJ). That's Indiana Jones (INFJ). That's Aragorn (INTJ).

Ti refuses to predict or interpret: it prefers to sit back and allow events to play out, responding to difficulties only when they arise. It has a need to share it's reasoning with others, so that it's conclusions will not be seen as "illogical". That's Lara Croft (ISTP). That's Peter Parker (INTP). That's Crocodile Dundee (ISTP). Ti is more laid-back and open-minded.

As for Aragorn's reluctance to rule, I believe that it comes from the self-criticism of auxiliary Te. He thinks that he would make a "bad" king. Once Aragorn gains confidence in himself, he fits into the King role comfortably and naturally.

violett

I think the post office clerk I did business with today was an Istj. I don't think I have ever heard another human being speak in such flat even monotone.

big sexy

MBTI Type
INfP
I think the post office clerk I did business with today was an Istj. I don't think I have ever heard another human being speak in such flat even monotone.

Haha, your post made me think of Roz from Monsters Inc. Definitely seems like an ISTJ.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I thought that was an ISTP thing.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm actually glad you brought up Ti and Ni, because the two are frequently confused.

The "cool, collected, and mysterious" function is Ni. It knows what's going to happen before it happens, and can find out what's going on behind the scenes with ease. It doesn't often share it's reasoning with others; it doesn't feel the need to. That's James Bond (INTJ). That's Indiana Jones (INFJ). That's Aragorn (INTJ).

Ti refuses to predict or interpret: it prefers to sit back and allow events to play out, responding to difficulties only when they arise. It has a need to share it's reasoning with others, so that it's conclusions will not be seen as "illogical". That's Lara Croft (ISTP). That's Peter Parker (INTP). That's Crocodile Dundee (ISTP). Ti is more laid-back and open-minded.

As for Aragorn's reluctance to rule, I believe that it comes from the self-criticism of auxiliary Te. He thinks that he would make a "bad" king. Once Aragorn gains confidence in himself, he fits into the King role comfortably and naturally.

ISTP's could be perfectly logical. They are always thinking. And you seemed to have ignored the clear Se over Te

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
ISTP's could be perfectly logical. They are always thinking. And you seemed to have ignored the clear Se over Te

Yes, ISTPs are logical; that's their very nature. But my argument was that Aragorn is more intuitive than logical.

Actually, I didn't ignore the Se/Te debate. There's not much evidence in the story that Aragorn would "rather be killing orcs" than ruling; that's purely a supposition. On the other hand, we have plenty of evidence that Aragorn does not want to rule because of his low self-esteem, which can be occasionally found in IxTJ types who over-criticize themselves.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, ISTPs are logical; that's their very nature. But my argument was that Aragorn is more intuitive than logical.

Actually, I didn't ignore the Se/Te debate. There's not much evidence in the story that Aragorn would "rather be killing orcs" than ruling; that's purely a supposition. On the other hand, we have plenty of evidence that Aragorn does not want to rule because of his low self-esteem, which can be occasionally found in IxTJ types who over-criticize themselves.

Take a look at the battle of Helms Deep for example. Theoden (very much an ESTJ), with his Te, stood at his little command post giving orders, while Aragorn, with his Se, was down with all of the soldiers getting his hands dirty (so to speak). With Te, people prefer to take charge of matters based on what they feel is right. With Ti, people prefer to think things through. Also, I did mention that Gandalf always something immediate to say about what he sees because of his Ni. Aragorn, on the other hand, ponders on whatever he picks up. He uses logic and reason to solve situations. Gandalf takes what he already knows and makes connections with that. Aragorn detests the idea of becoming king not out of low self-esteem, but out of fear of responsibility and being put through the same trouble as his ancestor.

BTW, James Bond is an ISTP, man. I don't know where you got INTJ.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just thought of another fictional ISTJ female: Marilla Cuthbert from the Anne of Green Gables books.

allycat800

MBTI Type
INFP
Hermione is more of an ESTJ. Notice that an ISTJ just kind of rolls there eyes at stupidity. As an ESTJ Hermione isn't afraid of actually boldly pointing out stupidity. She is a very open minded person throughout the series, never missing an opportunity to call out her classmates' mistakes.

I agree that she is more ESTJ, but others would argue and disagree. Either way I included it because i figured ISTJs might relate to her. That's why I left the X.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
I would like to add Captain America to the list. He's an obvious ISTJ. The most stubborn superhero ever.