• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Doctor Who & companions

Richard0612

MBTI Type
ENTP
I love the new Doctor Who series (and the old one, actually!) and wondered about the types of the various Doctors and their companions. I'm not sure about 1-8, but I'll have a go at 9/10. If anyone has any ideas about the others, I'd be interested to hear them!

I would say that the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) seemed NTJ, possibly ENTJ, given his 'take-charge' mentality and odd sense of humour. Ten (David Tennant) has been pegged as ENTP elsewhere, and I would agree with that. Any other opinions?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've thought about this, and decided the new Doctor doesn't have a personality. Since 2005 at least, he's very F, but not really definable. I stopped watching the show a few episodes into the current series. It just plain got bad. Russel T. Davies is a big poof. All the women in the show seem to be intentionally unappealing to straight men (not just looks), yet somehow ARE appealing to the males in the show.

The first Doctor seemed very NT. I haven't seen much in between.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love the classic Doctor Who series. I'm not a big fan of the new series, but it's occasionally fun. To me, the remarkable thing about both old and new is, despite the fact the character of the Doctor has been played by very different actors, the personality type has remained constant throughout. He's ENTP, no matter who is playing him.

E - never wants to be alone...yes, he may say that he does sometimes, often grumbling about his companions, but his behavior shows he never really wants to travel alone, or be alone for any length of time. He is clearly energized by being around other beings, humans or otherwise.

N - though he certainly uses his senses, his primary mode of operation is N. He's always looking to future possibilities and trying to anticipate the next move of villains and friends alike, based on what he gathers about them.

T - he may have his emotional outbursts, but his basis is definitely very logical. He dismisses people/creatures who base decisions on emotions or illogical traditions or superstitions.

P - He's the classic "mad professor" in his style. Very haphazard, doesn't like to follow schedules or set plans, likes to jump into new experiences and environments and just let things happen. His home, the TARDIS, is extremely disorganized, and he spends lots of time hunting for tools and other things he's collected because he has tossed them somewhere without much care as to where they've gone, just knowing he'll find them again eventually.

The companions, well, there's been so many over the years, and since I only just recently got into MBTI, I haven't watched a lot of episodes with intent to figure out types. But the most recent story I watched was the 5th Doctor story, Terminus. So my guesses on his three companions at that time:

Nyssa - ISTJ (she is friendly but not particularly interested in spending time with a lot of people, somewhat reserved. She is very logical and scientific but also very traditional in her thinking, she trusts what she knows and that things she has to figure out will be done by the processes that she knows.)

Tegan - ESFP (the "mouth on legs", very action oriented, jumps into things without thinking, very hands-on, and even though she has a quick temper, actually seems quite friendly a lot of the time.)

Turlough - ESTP (It's hard to tell, since at this time, he's under the control of the Black Guardian, but he seemed to be a popular and tactical troublemaker when we first met him at the boys' school, and he is definitely focused on what action needs to be done at the moment, rather than trying to figure out people's motives or make plans.)

MBTI Type
INTP
Going through all the characters from the new series i would say
The 9th Doctor - ESTJ
The 10th Doctor - ENTP
The 11th Doctor - ENFP
The 12th Doctor - INTJ
Rose Tyler - ESTP
Martha Jones - ISTJ
Donna Noble - ESFJ
River Song - INTP
Amy Pond - INFJ
Rory Williams - ISFJ
Clara Oswald - ENTJ
Jack Harkness - ESFP
;)

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'd agree with the Doctor being mostly ENTP (some regenerations have had mixed results, e.g. I'd put Third Doctor and Sixth Doctor as Js). For the new series:

9th Doctor - ENTP
10th Doctor - ENTP
11th Doctor - ENFP
War Doctor - INTP
12th Doctor - INTJ

Rose Tyler - ESFP
Mickey Smith - INFJ
Martha Jones - ISTJ
Donna Noble - ESFJ (Wilfred Mott - ESTP)
Jack Harkness - ENTJ
Amy Pond - ISTJ
Rory Williams - ISFP
River Song - INTJ
Clara Oswald - ENFJ

BluRoses

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I'd agree with the Doctor being mostly ENTP (some regenerations have had mixed results, e.g. I'd put Third Doctor and Sixth Doctor as Js). For the new series:

9th Doctor - ENTP
10th Doctor - ENTP
11th Doctor - ENFP
War Doctor - INTP
12th Doctor - INTJ

Rose Tyler - ESFP
Mickey Smith - INFJ
Martha Jones - ISTJ
Donna Noble - ESFJ (Wilfred Mott - ESTP)
Jack Harkness - ENTJ
Amy Pond - ISTJ
Rory Williams - ISFP
River Song - INTJ
Clara Oswald - ENFJ

I love me some David Tennant as Dr Who! I basically agree with Luke, but am not so sure that River Song was an INTJ...She seems more like a P to me, but it is hard to type her because she is all over the place due to her crazy past.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
All of the doctors seem pretty ENTP to me. Then again, I only know the 11th Doctor. I'd say that River Song is an ESTP. Amy Pond is most likely an INFP, and Rory Williams is an ESFJ.