User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Doctor Who & companions

I love the new Doctor Who series (and the old one, actually!) and wondered about the types of the various Doctors and their companions. I'm not sure about 1-8, but I'll have a go at 9/10. If anyone has any ideas about the others, I'd be interested to hear them!

I would say that the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) seemed NTJ, possibly ENTJ, given his 'take-charge' mentality and odd sense of humour. Ten (David Tennant) has been pegged as ENTP elsewhere, and I would agree with that. Any other opinions?
    Likes BluRoses liked this post

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I've thought about this, and decided the new Doctor doesn't have a personality. Since 2005 at least, he's very F, but not really definable. I stopped watching the show a few episodes into the current series. It just plain got bad. Russel T. Davies is a big poof. All the women in the show seem to be intentionally unappealing to straight men (not just looks), yet somehow ARE appealing to the males in the show.

The first Doctor seemed very NT. I haven't seen much in between.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I love the classic Doctor Who series. I'm not a big fan of the new series, but it's occasionally fun. To me, the remarkable thing about both old and new is, despite the fact the character of the Doctor has been played by very different actors, the personality type has remained constant throughout. He's ENTP, no matter who is playing him.

E - never wants to be alone...yes, he may say that he does sometimes, often grumbling about his companions, but his behavior shows he never really wants to travel alone, or be alone for any length of time. He is clearly energized by being around other beings, humans or otherwise.

N - though he certainly uses his senses, his primary mode of operation is N. He's always looking to future possibilities and trying to anticipate the next move of villains and friends alike, based on what he gathers about them.

T - he may have his emotional outbursts, but his basis is definitely very logical. He dismisses people/creatures who base decisions on emotions or illogical traditions or superstitions.

P - He's the classic "mad professor" in his style. Very haphazard, doesn't like to follow schedules or set plans, likes to jump into new experiences and environments and just let things happen. His home, the TARDIS, is extremely disorganized, and he spends lots of time hunting for tools and other things he's collected because he has tossed them somewhere without much care as to where they've gone, just knowing he'll find them again eventually.

The companions, well, there's been so many over the years, and since I only just recently got into MBTI, I haven't watched a lot of episodes with intent to figure out types. But the most recent story I watched was the 5th Doctor story, Terminus. So my guesses on his three companions at that time:

Nyssa - ISTJ (she is friendly but not particularly interested in spending time with a lot of people, somewhat reserved. She is very logical and scientific but also very traditional in her thinking, she trusts what she knows and that things she has to figure out will be done by the processes that she knows.)

Tegan - ESFP (the "mouth on legs", very action oriented, jumps into things without thinking, very hands-on, and even though she has a quick temper, actually seems quite friendly a lot of the time.)

Turlough - ESTP (It's hard to tell, since at this time, he's under the control of the Black Guardian, but he seemed to be a popular and tactical troublemaker when we first met him at the boys' school, and he is definitely focused on what action needs to be done at the moment, rather than trying to figure out people's motives or make plans.)
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTP

Going through all the characters from the new series i would say
    The 9th Doctor - ESTJ
    The 10th Doctor - ENTP
    The 11th Doctor - ENFP
    The 12th Doctor - INTJ
    Rose Tyler - ESTP
    Martha Jones - ISTJ
    Donna Noble - ESFJ
    River Song - INTP
    Amy Pond - INFJ
    Rory Williams - ISFJ
    Clara Oswald - ENTJ
    Jack Harkness - ESFP
    Likes Luke O, BluRoses liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I'd agree with the Doctor being mostly ENTP (some regenerations have had mixed results, e.g. I'd put Third Doctor and Sixth Doctor as Js). For the new series:

9th Doctor - ENTP
    10th Doctor - ENTP
    11th Doctor - ENFP
    War Doctor - INTP
    12th Doctor - INTJ

Rose Tyler - ESFP
    Mickey Smith - INFJ
    Martha Jones - ISTJ
    Donna Noble - ESFJ (Wilfred Mott - ESTP)
    Jack Harkness - ENTJ
    Amy Pond - ISTJ
    Rory Williams - ISFP
    River Song - INTJ
    Clara Oswald - ENFJ
    Likes BluRoses liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    I'd agree with the Doctor being mostly ENTP (some regenerations have had mixed results, e.g. I'd put Third Doctor and Sixth Doctor as Js). For the new series:

9th Doctor - ENTP
    10th Doctor - ENTP
    11th Doctor - ENFP
    War Doctor - INTP
    12th Doctor - INTJ

Rose Tyler - ESFP
    Mickey Smith - INFJ
    Martha Jones - ISTJ
    Donna Noble - ESFJ (Wilfred Mott - ESTP)
    Jack Harkness - ENTJ
    Amy Pond - ISTJ
    Rory Williams - ISFP
    River Song - INTJ
    Clara Oswald - ENFJ
    I love me some David Tennant as Dr Who! I basically agree with Luke, but am not so sure that River Song was an INTJ...She seems more like a P to me, but it is hard to type her because she is all over the place due to her crazy past.
    "ENFJ- The Diplomat Champion (will take on crusades and WILL kill every last mfr in the room!)" ~Xander

Enneagram: You are a Type 2 with a 3 wing: "The Helper Advocate"

Your trifix is 2w3, 6w5, 1w9.

MBTI
    INFP

All of the doctors seem pretty ENTP to me. Then again, I only know the 11th Doctor. I'd say that River Song is an ESTP. Amy Pond is most likely an INFP, and Rory Williams is an ESFJ.