Thread: Indiana Jones

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Indiana Jones

I watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and wondered about all the different characters and their types. So, anyone want to take a stab at any of the characters? It can be any of the movies or even the young Indiana chronicles.

Dr. Jones- ISTP
    Henry Jones Sr.- INTJ
    Marcus Brody- ExxP
    Marion Ravenwood- ESTP?
    Willie Scott- ISFx?

I'm still new to typing and still a bit unclear on some of the functions so please don't be too hard if I'm way off base.
    “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” -Walt Disney
    Likes Studmuffin23 liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I understand why someone would type Indiana Jones as an ISTP; that's the way he's advertised. But if you pay close attention to the dialog, he reveals himself to be a major Ni dom.

SPs always have their mind on the present. But if you'll notice, Indiana Jones always has his mind on the future. He's constantly pointing out the future implications of everything. He's extremely wrapped up in his career, and feels bored when there's no major obstacles to conquer. He's obsessed with his goals, and stops at nothing to see a job done. He's also really good at interpreting puzzling information, pointing out the underlying meanings of everything he observes. An SP who uses that much Ni is not much of an SP.

The Se elements that people point out in Indiana Jones: an underlying desire for adventure and stimulation, for example, is more characteristic of inferior Se than dominant/auxiliary Se.

ENTJ was my first guess, but Indy uses far too much Fe and Ti. I can't see anything else other than INFJ. That would also explain his career choice and intellectual interests: he's an archaeology professor and an "expert on the occult" (not exactly a Ti/Se-friendly subject).

Naturally, someone will quote this post saying "you're just saying that because you like him!" So let me answer that here. There are many fictional characters that I love who are certainly not INFJs. Would I love for them to represent my MBTI type? Sure. But the Ni/Fe is simply not there. A dominant function is a dominant function, no matter how you slice it up. 2 + 2 = 4 is not a subjective conclusion.
    Last edited by Studmuffin23; 01-12-2015 at 02:04 PM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Jones is a solid fictional ISTP, from "I'm making this up as I go along" to the Fe-drawn domesticated veneer he projects at college. I think a lot of us know ISTPs who've perfected alter egos they need to survive in a white-collar workplace.

I'd say Pop is INTP, since he can get around well enough; Brody is INTJ, since he really can't. Marion's another ISTP (out-drinking a mountain climber and then outmaneuvering her ex-flame in a conversation?). An ESTP is more like Walter Donovan.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and wondered about all the different characters and their types. So, anyone want to take a stab at any of the characters? It can be any of the movies or even the young Indiana chronicles.

Dr. Jones- ISTP
    Henry Jones Sr.- INTJ
    Marcus Brody- ExxP
    Marion Ravenwood- ESTP?
    Willie Scott- ISFx?

I'm still new to typing and still a bit unclear on some of the functions so please don't be too hard if I'm way off base.
    Oh, wow. I forgot to give you feedback on the rest of your typings. Sorry.

You're not doing too bad, actually. The Marion Ravenwood typing is right on the money. Willie Scott is definitely an xSFx type (ESFJ in a Fe-Ne loop is my diagnosis).

Marcus Brody is a classic Si dom. He warns Indy against doing "dangerous" or "risky" things, and has trouble maneuvering outside of his traditional comfort zone. Fe is Brody's second function: he is friendly, accommodating, and shows a lot of concern for others. So ISFJ for him.

Henry Sr. is loaded with Ne (ENTP); it's where a lot of the father-son conflict comes from. Indy trying to solve practical problems (Ni) while Henry Sr. points out more of them (Ne).
    Likes ScareBear liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Indiana Jones: ISTP
    Marion Ravenwood: ESTP 7w8
    Willie Scott: ESFP/ESFJ 3w2
    I want my cake and I wanna eat it too

MBTI