User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default When INFPs go bad: The Elusive INFP Villain in Fiction

Some of my fellow INFPs are in denial that there are any evil INFPs. The unflinching idealists they tend to be, they, tragically, seem to regard the personality type as being without a dark side. I'm here to help clear up that misconception.

Sorry fellow INFPs, there are evil characters of all personality types, including INFP.

My favorite evil INFP, and what I think is probably the archetypal evil INFP, is Sweeney Todd, the love-driven idealist whose entire worldview has been irrevocably shattered:

What are some other INFP villains you can come up with? Lets quash the myth once and for all that there is no dark side of the INFP!

MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

I can't think of any, but now I'm afraid of turning into Sweeney Todd :/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Hmm, an INFP villain.

He is likely to be somebody whose has suffered personal tragedy (especially in childhood), struggles with love and feels that the society around him is unjust - so lashes out in bitterness. It is actually possible that Kullervo, the mythological figure who I have named myself after, was an INFP (an INFP 6 probably). Perhaps more of an antihero than a villain, though.

NFP villains always fascinate me (like NTJ heroes) because they defy the stereotypes that are rampant in fiction.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

INFP is a guess... 'Chronicle'
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

I vote Melkor Morgoth as an INFP villain. Once ambitious, he sought the power of the Flame Imperishable within himself and the outer void beyond but found nothing...nothing but the darkness inside him, into which he would sink the world.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    I vote Melkor Morgoth as an INFP villain. Once ambitious, he sought the power of the Flame Imperishable within himself and the outer void beyond but found nothing...nothing but the darkness inside him, into which he would sink the world.
    He strikes me as a pretty unhealthy ENTJ: ambitious, vain and completely lacking in morality.

INFP villains often paint themselves as victims of injustice, and convince themselves that their actions, however cruel, are virtuous. Morgoth came to view morality as a weakness, and that's about as xNTJ as you can get.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I haven't seen Sweeney Todd so I'm not sure if your typing is correct.

I do think there aren't many INFP villains in fiction mainly because they usually make for shitty villains. When we go into unhealthy, negative modes we tend to get mopey, disillusioned and closed off from others, rather than try to take over the world. Villains are almost always active by nature. Passive villains don't often work. Basically you're going to need something extra to make a INFP character into a worthwhile villain.

I think the guy in Chronicle could be a INFP villain (though maybe INTP) and he's an example of how it could work to have a mopey villain (ie. give him superpowers and a dose of craziness). I would argue that Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean is one - he's a incredibly bitter romantic at heart. His sense of betrayal has clearly pushed him off the deep end and this, along with the requirements of his job description, has forced him into villainous action. Also I seriously think Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now is another example (again with the craziness). Hamlet is technically a (tragic) hero, but shows the negative mopey traits of a villain as well (helped by the craziness). I'm guessing you're starting to pick up the trend here...
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

@OrangeAppled will be a scary villain in an infj point of view movie.

However, most of the drama will be internal. No blood will be shed. Just words unspoken.

The silent treatment will be her power.

The bad apple will be the title of the movie.

Likes OrangeAppled liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    He strikes me as a pretty unhealthy ENTJ: ambitious, vain and completely lacking in morality.

INFP villains often paint themselves as victims of injustice, and convince themselves that their actions, however cruel, are virtuous. Morgoth came to view morality as a weakness, and that's about as xNTJ as you can get.
    I think it's a mistake to believe that all INFPs see themselves as virtuous. Fi isn't always an "I feel virtuous" function. Sometimes it's just "I do what my emotions tell me to do." There's nothing about any of the MBTI types that implies virtue or lack thereof. I think Jung would have been very uncomfortable attaching value judgements and morals to his temperments.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    I vote Melkor Morgoth as an INFP villain.
    I think I could see where you're coming from with that - except Melkor is confrontational without provocation - which makes me doubt it somewhat. He plays different music not because he feels like it but because he wants to challenge Eru's authority. I'd see Melkor as more of an INTP...