• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone else love M*A*S*H?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do. And ever since I became interested in Myers-Briggs typology, I've tried typing the show's characters. I realize it's not really possible to type a fictional character, because, you know. They're not REAL. But it's still fun to try. I've typed some of the characters on M*A*S*H, based on the traits they display, but I'm not sure about others. Here are my closest guesses.

Hawkeye - ENFJ. Hawkeye seems to me to be a textbook ENFJ. He's charismatic, enthusiastic, compassionate, idealistic, and can make friends with practically anybody. I've seen some people type him as an ENFP, but then there's that strain of atruism in him. He can often be completely unreasonable in his need to right every wrong and fix things that just can't be fixed.

Trapper - ESTP. Pretty sure about this. He's a people person, a party animal, and a risk taker. He's definitely charming, but he has no regard for rules, and lives in the moment. He's also easily bored, and can sometimes be shallow, which can be a trait in some unhealthy ESTPs.

Klinger - ESFP. Klinger is such an ESFP. He doesn't care what other people think of him; he just does whatever the hell he wants. He's fun, friendly, helpful, outgoing, and never ever boring. But he's not especially deep. I wouldn't say he's stupid; he definitely gets things done, and is trustworthy and reliable. He's just... uncomplicated.

Mulcahy - INFP. This is kind of a no-brainer. Mulcahy's an eternal optimist, always trying to find the good in everyone. He's kind and helpful, but unobtrusive in his kindness, preferring to let others come to him for help when they're ready to accept it. He strives for peace, and is happy to be useful. He also has a tendency to be way too hard on himself and feel that he's failed when he can't get through to people.

Charles - ISTJ. He's intelligent, practical, strong-willed, not good at expressing emotions, and a total perfectionist. For a while I thought Charles might be an INTJ, because I'm one, and I've always identified with him. But he's so damned stubborn, and not open to any ideas which differ from his own. And he strongly values tradition and established order, and is wary of anything that challenges that order.

I'm not sure about B.J., Margaret, Radar, Blake, or Potter. With Margaret, I'm leaning toward ESFJ. And I have no idea what Frank is. Other than horrible.

Anyone else have any theories, or disagree with any of mine? I won't mind; I welcome fresh perspectives!

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of my favorite shows.

Love Hawkeye.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually... the more I read about ENTJs, I start to suspect that Charles might be one. Albeit a somewhat introverted one.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always enjoyed this show as well. There was a certain vintage of comedy shows like this one that somehow managed to be serious and genuinely funny at the same time. As the saying goes, they don't make them like they used to.

I think Fr. Mulcahy is more an ISFP. Agree with Charles being STJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do. And ever since I became interested in Myers-Briggs typology, I've tried typing the show's characters. I realize it's not really possible to type a fictional character, because, you know. They're not REAL. But it's still fun to try. I've typed some of the characters on M*A*S*H, based on the traits they display, but I'm not sure about others. Here are my closest guesses.

Hawkeye - ENFJ. Hawkeye seems to me to be a textbook ENFJ. He's charismatic, enthusiastic, compassionate, idealistic, and can make friends with practically anybody. I've seen some people type him as an ENFP, but then there's that strain of atruism in him. He can often be completely unreasonable in his need to right every wrong and fix things that just can't be fixed.

Trapper - ESTP. Pretty sure about this. He's a people person, a party animal, and a risk taker. He's definitely charming, but he has no regard for rules, and lives in the moment. He's also easily bored, and can sometimes be shallow, which can be a trait in some unhealthy ESTPs.

Klinger - ESFP. Klinger is such an ESFP. He doesn't care what other people think of him; he just does whatever the hell he wants. He's fun, friendly, helpful, outgoing, and never ever boring. But he's not especially deep. I wouldn't say he's stupid; he definitely gets things done, and is trustworthy and reliable. He's just... uncomplicated.

Mulcahy - INFP. This is kind of a no-brainer. Mulcahy's an eternal optimist, always trying to find the good in everyone. He's kind and helpful, but unobtrusive in his kindness, preferring to let others come to him for help when they're ready to accept it. He strives for peace, and is happy to be useful. He also has a tendency to be way too hard on himself and feel that he's failed when he can't get through to people.

Charles - ISTJ. He's intelligent, practical, strong-willed, not good at expressing emotions, and a total perfectionist. For a while I thought Charles might be an INTJ, because I'm one, and I've always identified with him. But he's so damned stubborn, and not open to any ideas which differ from his own. And he strongly values tradition and established order, and is wary of anything that challenges that order.

I'm not sure about B.J., Margaret, Radar, Blake, or Potter. With Margaret, I'm leaning toward ESFJ. And I have no idea what Frank is. Other than horrible.

Anyone else have any theories, or disagree with any of mine? I won't mind; I welcome fresh perspectives!

Hawkeye Pierce is an ENFP. Your statement about altruism baffles me. It's as if you're saying that ENFPs can't be, or aren't, altruistic.
Hawkeye is an ENFP because he bucks the system anywhere he can. He does this because it doesn't make sense to him. The army way is, to him, nonsensical and often just plain wrong or immoral. Other more conservative characters were placed in the show as foils (contrasts) to his anti-traditional belief system. Hawkeye is the P to their J, the Ne to their Si, the Fi to their Te. He is the monkey-wrench gumming up the works.

But Hawkeye is not completely negative. He works for what he believes in. He believes in the value of human life and takes his doctoring very seriously. Anything that gets in the way of that personal value system can, in his view, go straight to hell.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Upon further reflection, I can now see I was wrong about my assessment of Hawkeye's type. That boy is definitely an ENFP.

I also suspect B.J. might be an INFJ.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I always enjoyed this show as well. There was a certain vintage of comedy shows like this one that somehow managed to be serious and genuinely funny at the same time. As the saying goes, they don't make them like they used to.

I think Fr. Mulcahy is more an ISFP. Agree with Charles being STJ.

I totally agree. In fact, I watched the movie not too long ago, I hadn't seen it in years. I loved the show, it's my husbands' favorite too. Hawkeye is definitely an ENFP.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Upon further reflection, I can now see I was wrong about my assessment of Hawkeye's type. That boy is definitely an ENFP.

I also suspect B.J. might be an INFJ.

Mmm.

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Hot lips is an ESFJ. Awesome show!

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Hot lips is an ESFJ. Awesome show!
I think you're right about Margaret.

What do you think about Frank being an ISFJ? Albeit an extremely unhealthy one?

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you're right about Margaret.

What do you think about Frank being an ISFJ? Albeit an extremely unhealthy one?

He is tough because he is all over the place in my mind. I have a tough time thinking of him as an introvert, but I suppose he could be a mild one. He is very stuck on rules from what I remember.