• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Daria

Type Daria

• ENFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFJ

• ENTP

• ENTJ

• ISFP

• ESFP

• ESTP

• ISTP

• ESFJ

• ISFJ

• ESTJ

• ISTJ

• Total voters

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I don't see Tom as much of an ENTP. He's just so laid back. He doesn't DO anything. He rarely has strong opinions or takes strong moves of action. He's intelligent, but not inventive or anything. He seems like a relaxed ISTP to me. Very go-with-the-flow. He doesn't even have that ENTP drive for winning an argument, really. He's quick to just forget about it. He always concedes things to her, but offers reasonable alternate explanations, and he often wins, but this is only because everything Daria says to him is stupid.

That's the annoying thing about him. He makes Daria a total irrational bitch. For some reason.

Nicodemus

Episodes like 'Write Where It Hurts' and 'Through A Lens Darkly' strengthen my assumption that Daria is INTJ.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
strange. i used to think "classic INTP girl stuck in cultural rebellion mode", but now im reading the arguments for INTJ and that seems to fit better...

I like whoever said she's a prototype. Probably for INT women of american culture in general.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
In a strengthening way. Mostly because the rather unusual problems in those episodes seem very familiar to me.

Hey, I can relate to that too. Writers block, not thinking your work is good enough, being caught between accpetance and living up to your own moral standards. I can relate to all that quite easily. I don't think it's at all INTJ suggestive.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Oh, this thing's back.

I wrote out (and subsequently lost) a fairly long post last week, mostly about how her wisecracks/observations often seemed Ni-ish to me. As much as I'd love to claim Ms. Morgendorffer as one of my own, I do think she's a jay.

In a strengthening way. Mostly because the rather unusual problems in those episodes seem very familiar to me.

Care to elaborate?

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I'll give typing the characters a go.

Daria: INTP
Jane: ISTP
Helen: EXTJ
Jake: EXFP
Quinn: ESFJ
Trent: INFP
Tom: ISTP
Sandi: ESTJ
Stacey: ISFJ
Tiffany:ISFX
Britney: ESFP
Kevin: ESFP
Jodie: INXJ
Mack: XNTJ
Upchuck: ESTP
Mr. Dimartino: EXXJ
Mr. Oneil: INFP
Ms. Li: EXXJ
Whatsername aggressive lady: ESTJ
Goth girl who appears like 2 times: ISFP

Nicodemus

Hey, I can relate to that too. Writers block, not thinking your work is good enough, being caught between accpetance and living up to your own moral standards. I can relate to all that quite easily. I don't think it's at all INTJ suggestive.
I understand the main difference between INTJ and INTP is that the INTJ is more decisive than the INTP, giving the former the ability to skip the fruitless and engage in the more promising, while the latter gets stuck in almost every place in order to examine it thoroughly before, if at all, making a decision. This difference, I presume, causes the difference we can notice in their behavior: that the INTPs appear to be, and probably even are, indifferent to many things, among them, for instance, what other people think of them, how they come across; whereas the INTJs are quite aware of how they are perceived, resulting, if they care for certain aspects of their public reception, in the construction of an appearance that suits their goals.

So if the carefree attitude of INTPs really stems from not caring about what other people do or think, and the indifferent appearance of INTJs is indeed often a mechanism for self-protection, then I think Daria is better described as an INTJ.

To support my assumption, I offer two of her problems, (a) one about decisiveness and self-protection, and (b) one about public appearance and indifference through contemplation rather than natural development.

(a) In 'Write Where It Hurts', "Mr. O'Neill asks Daria to write a story about people she knows in a dramatic way, but Daria develops writers' block on her project (and resentment for her mother) until Helen urges her to write something that reflects the way Daria wants things to be." (Wikipedia)

The conversation between Daria and Helen:

Daria: My story sucks.
Helen: Well, honey, if you just give it another day or two -
Daria: Everything I do has already been done. I wanted to write something meaningful. I can't write anything at all.
Helen: Maybe you're trying to hard, maybe you don't have to write something meaningful, just something honest.
Daria: I can do honest. I look around me, I describe what I see.
Helen: How about describing what you'd like to see, honestly.
Daria: What do you mean?
Helen: Daria, the easiest thing in the world for you is being honest about what you observe -
Daria: Aaand?
Helen: What's hard for you is being honest about your wishes, about the way you think things should be, not the way they are. You gloss over it with a cynical joke and nobody finds out what you really believe in.
Daria: Aha, so my evil plan is working.
Helen: If you really wanna be honest, be truthful about you'd like to happen. There's the challenge.
Daria: Where the hell did you learn so much about me?

(b) In 'Through A Lens Darkly', "Daria gets contact lenses so she can see better during her driver's test, but rejects them when they cause her physical discomfort. She finds it surprisingly difficult, however, to return to her old appearance." (Wikipedia)

A conversation between Daria and Jane:

Daria: I tell you the truth. This whole thing's got me really confused. I want my glasses back.
Jane: Are you still hung up on that vanity thing?
Daria: That's not it. Everyone already knows I'm vain.
Jane: O, you're one huge narcissist. So if not that, then what?
Daria: This is kind of hard to explain. It's, like, I know my glasses set me apart. When I look in the mirror without them, I can't see a thing. But when I put them on and look in the mirror again, I think -
Jane: Yeah...?
Daria: I think to myself: Nevermind the glasses. You can see things that other people can't. You can see better than other people. So to hell with them and what they think about you and your glasses.
Jane: You're not talking about eyesight anymore, are you?
Daria: No.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I understand the main difference between INTJ and INTP is that the INTJ is more decisive than the INTP, giving the former the ability to skip the fruitless and engage in the more promising, while the latter gets stuck in almost every place in order to examine it thoroughly before, if at all, making a decision. This difference, I presume, causes the difference we can notice in their behavior: that the INTPs appear to be, and probably even are, indifferent to many things, among them, for instance, what other people think of them, how they come across; whereas the INTJs are quite aware of how they are perceived, resulting, if they care for certain aspects of their public reception, in the construction of an appearance that suits their goals.

So if the carefree attitude of INTPs really stems from not caring about what other people do or think, and the indifferent appearance of INTJs is indeed often a mechanism for self-protection, then I think Daria is better described as an INTJ.

To support my assumption, I offer two of her problems, (a) one about decisiveness and self-protection, and (b) one about public appearance and indifference through contemplation rather than natural development.

(a) In 'Write Where It Hurts', "Mr. O'Neill asks Daria to write a story about people she knows in a dramatic way, but Daria develops writers' block on her project (and resentment for her mother) until Helen urges her to write something that reflects the way Daria wants things to be." (Wikipedia)

Daria: Everything I do has already been done. I wanted to write something meaningful. I can't write anything at all.
Helen: Maybe you're trying to hard, maybe you don't have to write something meaningful, just something honest.
Helen: Daria, the easiest thing in the world for you is being honest about what you observe -
Helen: What's hard for you is being honest about your wishes, about the way you think things should be, not the way they are. You gloss over it with a cynical joke and nobody finds out what you really believe in.
Helen: If you really wanna be honest, be truthful about you'd like to happen. There's the challenge.

(b) In 'Through A Lens Darkly', "Daria gets contact lenses so she can see better during her driver's test, but rejects them when they cause her physical discomfort. She finds it surprisingly difficult, however, to return to her old appearance." (Wikipedia)

A conversation between Daria and Jane:

Daria: I tell you the truth. This whole thing's got me really confused. I want my glasses back.
Jane: Are you still hung up on that vanity thing?
Daria: That's not it. Everyone already knows I'm vain.
Jane: O, you're one huge narcissist. So if not that, then what?
Daria: This is kind of hard to explain. It's, like, I know my glasses set me apart. When I look in the mirror without them, I can't see a thing. But when I put them on and look in the mirror again, I think -
Jane: Yeah...?
Daria: I think to myself: Nevermind the glasses. You can see things that other people can't. You can see better than other people. So to hell with them and what they think about you and your glasses.
Jane: You're not talking about eyesight anymore, are you?
Daria: No.

I don't understand. I really see nothing J suggestive here at all. You think INTPs are completely immune to pressures and what other people think? Because that's all I can derive here and it's not true at all. That sort of disconnected observation and immunity to the rest of society is something we may strive for, but realistically it doesn't always work. We still have anxieties and some level of need for acceptance. I don't think INTJs are necessarily more concerned about it either. All I can get from this two extracts is actually Darias perfectionism and indecisiveness, both of which are traits that are common if not universal among INTPs. If anything, Js would be quicker to decide on an idea and carry through with it, and as for the wanting not to be set apart by her glasses, that's pretty universal.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I detect tertiary Fi in this - coming to terms with her feelings (values and ideals) and how to express them.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I detect tertiary Fi in this - coming to terms with her feelings (values and ideals) and how to express them.

I suppose so. I read more Ti nitpicking and being unable to decide on something, perfectionism. Though I can see how it is Fi like.

Though I'm like that too... being worried about writing/expressing my ideals and stuff... I dunno.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
being unable to decide on something has more to do with being an e5 with boundary issues and an inability to ultimately justify what she wants/her will to herself mainly stemming from the detachment strategy e5s use in order to prevent being overwhelmed.

she's definitely a 5w4.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I am convinced that Daria is ISTJ 5w4 actually. She is directive. Her high school speech about how beliefs must be validated by experiences shows the emphasis placed on experience, pointing to Si over Ni.

As for Jane. I am start to think ENxP though I was sure of ISxP before. I watched that episode where she pretended to fit in for an experiment. Then she started to doubt whether she really was just one of the "popular" kids at their school, and whether her strangeness was all an act, etc. On the other hand, she does not seem to overthink things too much, but that could just be a result of a good auxiliary (ie. no dom tert looping. GAH why am I trying to assign looping to a fictional character xD

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I am convinced that Daria is ISTJ 5w4 actually. She is directive. Her high school speech about how beliefs must be validated by experiences shows the emphasis placed on experience, pointing to Si over Ni.

Agreed, actually. I was wrong in the OP. I decided a couple of months back that she was probably ISTJ, and largely for the reasons you mentioned.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
daria is definitely an INTP, jane is IXTJ

As for Jane. I am start to think ENxP though I was sure of ISxP before. I watched that episode where she pretended to fit in for an experiment. Then she started to doubt whether she really was just one of the "popular" kids at their school, and whether her strangeness was all an act, etc. On the other hand, she does not seem to overthink things too much, but that could just be a result of a good auxiliary (ie. no dom tert looping. GAH why am I trying to assign looping to a fictional character xD

loooool

KDude

I don't think ISTJ should be written off that quick. I kind of see similarities in that character Bones. I can't decide if she's ISTJ or INTP either.