• ISFJ

0 0%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • ISTJ

0 0%
First 7891011 Last

Thread: Daria

based on the following, she seems more INTJ than INTP: very prominent fear of sensory activities like driving, sports (and painting hair), endless sarcasm, aversion to fun, black and white values, self-righteous, kind of controlling of Jane.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I don't think this has been posted yet...it's from the Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki. It makes a case that Daria is an INTJ with underdeveloped auxiliary Te.

Daria Morgendorfer: INTJ

I think they have a point about her use of irony, and how her humor is often based on "saying things that the person she's talking to will misinterpret, and can only be understood for their real humor by people who 'have a clue' ". That's said to be a common Ni thing. And she definitely seems more Fi than Fe.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

its pretty obvious that shes an young INTP. jane is more of an IXTJ. trent ENTP
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Oh, wow; I never caught that article of the wiki. And not only that, at the bottom, there is a second "Hypothesis", of ISTJ (which is what I have always been suggesting).
    I think it's clear she's a "Melancholic" (Chart the Course) type. INTP's might have a cynical streak at times, but they are generally much more "light and airy" (from the Ne) than she is. To be an INTP, she would have to be a perpetually depressed or beaten down by life one, yet it seems she is just being her normal self, and this would fit an IxTJ's interaction style more.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    ..or beaten down by life one
    you dont see that? shes like the scum of the school stereotype, but the surrounding people are naturally built not to be too dominant so that it wouldnt be a show about bullying the nerd.

one thing people should understand about this type of shows and typing the characters is that the characters are based on real life stereotypes, but the program as a whole(other characters, situations etc) is changed to make the program worth watching. with daria and her world, its like an INTP in a stereotypical nerd setting, but everything modified to be ideal for her(no stealing lunch money, can actually talk to people if she wants to etc). so you cant really say with programs like this that hey, she managed not to get beaten after a school, she has to be ISTJ because ISTJs are bad asses, but you need to look past the, well past everything and dig deep in the characters mind set. think of things like whats the type of the person who this character is based on(naturally also what the characteristics of the character are from some real person and what are made up, which characteristics are overly pronounced and what are kept hidden if they are from a real person or if they are just projections of the who ever wrote the show, you need to look at the whole program as if it came from a eyes of certain type) and stuff like that.
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

By "beaten down by life", I didn't mean literal, physical "beating". (I wondered if that would be mistaken that way, and I specifically included "by life" to try to avoid that).
    She to me looks like someone who simply defends against life and handles any fear of rejection by rejecting others first, and that tends to be a "directive" thing (IST/INJ).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    you dont see that? shes like the scum of the school stereotype, but the surrounding people are naturally built not to be too dominant so that it wouldnt be a show about bullying the nerd.
    It isn't just that the other characters aren't dominant. They actually don't seem to mind Daria that much. They can't really relate to her, but they don't reject her outright either. Daria's isolation at school seems to have more to do with her rejecting her peers, rather than vice-versa. Some of that may be "reject them before they reject me" as Eric mentioned (and this came out a couple times during the show). She also has high moral standards that can cause her to clash with others (which is pointed out several times by other characters on the show) and prides herself on her ability to see things others can't (Fi and Ni?). A number of her schoolmates seemed to have respect for her, even if they didn't consider her part of their social groups. She may be isolated and jaded, but it isn't really because the world has shut her out. It's more something she imposed on herself.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    one thing people should understand about this type of shows and typing the characters is that the characters are based on real life stereotypes, but the program as a whole(other characters, situations etc) is changed to make the program worth watching. with daria and her world, its like an INTP in a stereotypical nerd setting, but everything modified to be ideal for her(no stealing lunch money, can actually talk to people if she wants to etc). so you cant really say with programs like this that hey, she managed not to get beaten after a school, she has to be ISTJ because ISTJs are bad asses, but you need to look past the, well past everything and dig deep in the characters mind set. think of things like whats the type of the person who this character is based on(naturally also what the characteristics of the character are from some real person and what are made up, which characteristics are overly pronounced and what are kept hidden if they are from a real person or if they are just projections of the who ever wrote the show, you need to look at the whole program as if it came from a eyes of certain type) and stuff like that.
    Obviously the characters aren't real, and Daria doesn't really exist and so does not really have cognitive functions and all. I don't see how that changes anything. You can still look at what she says and does and how she reacts, and decide which type her words, actions and reactions best fit. Why does it matter exactly how the character was cobbled together? We can never really know that anyway.

And who's saying she's an ISTJ because she doesn't get beaten up? People are talking about cognitive functions and interaction styles. What is the argument for her being INTP? I haven't seen much; people just seem to be assuming that a nerdy, sarcastic, passive loner must be an INTP. Often, but not always.

Personally, while I liked the show as a teenager and felt similar to her in a number of ways, I sometimes did not understand why she'd get so bothered over certain ethical matters. For example: feeling ashamed of caring about her looks enough to try contact lenses, getting angry at Jodie when she mentioned her father's name in order to get a banker to approve her for a loan, complaining about soda advertisements in her school (she thought it was sleazy and took her complaint right to the company, IIRC). Stuff like this doesn't strike me as very INTP-ish.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    It isn't just that the other characters aren't dominant. They actually don't seem to mind Daria that much. They can't really relate to her, but they don't reject her outright either. Daria's isolation at school seems to have more to do with her rejecting her peers, rather than vice-versa. Some of that may be "reject them before they reject me" as Eric mentioned (and this came out a couple times during the show). She also has high moral standards that can cause her to clash with others (which is pointed out several times by other characters on the show) and prides herself on her ability to see things others can't (Fi and Ni?). A number of her schoolmates seemed to have respect for her, even if they didn't consider her part of their social groups. She may be isolated and jaded, but it isn't really because the world has shut her out. It's more something she imposed on herself.

Obviously the characters aren't real, and Daria doesn't really exist and so does not really have cognitive functions and all. I don't see how that changes anything. You can still look at what she says and does and how she reacts, and decide which type her words, actions and reactions best fit. Why does it matter exactly how the character was cobbled together? We can never really know that anyway.

And who's saying she's an ISTJ because she doesn't get beaten up? People are talking about cognitive functions and interaction styles. What is the argument for her being INTP? I haven't seen much; people just seem to be assuming that a nerdy, sarcastic, passive loner must be an INTP. Often, but not always.

Personally, while I liked the show as a teenager and felt similar to her in a number of ways, I sometimes did not understand why she'd get so bothered over certain ethical matters. For example: feeling ashamed of caring about her looks enough to try contact lenses, getting angry at Jodie when she mentioned her father's name in order to get a banker to approve her for a loan, complaining about soda advertisements in her school (she thought it was sleazy and took her complaint right to the company, IIRC). Stuff like this doesn't strike me as very INTP-ish.
    +100000
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

this whole pushing people away thing. imo it would be pretty typical for an INTP to push stupid people away because they annoy us most the time, especially if those people are something like characters in darias school. i did that too to some extend when i was in school and darias age.

i have strong moral standards and ethics that can clash with others(even with the law), its not Fi Ni thing, its pretty typical INTP thing. when it comes to INTJ vs INTP morals, its usually the INTJ whos lacking(or has a twisted or really selfish view on) them due to tert Fi, especially at that age.

good characters are built to have a real personality, and often are based more or less on real persons.

luckily no one is saying that, but people seem to base their opinions quite alot on stupid surface stuff like her not getting beaten up because ISTJs dont even if they are nerds... its not meant to be any argument for her being an INTP..

i wasnt nerdy(i did hang with nerds tho) or passive loner at her age in school and that sort of stuff has nothing to do with me thinking shes an INTP.

ohhh, you sure you are an INTP? all that stuff about contact lenses, getting angry at jodie etc is something i can relate to 100% and those things strike me as very very INTPish, not all INTPs are like that tho, but those are INTP things still. this sort of stuff is one of the big reasons why im so sure shes an INTP..
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Oh, wow; I never caught that article of the wiki. And not only that, at the bottom, there is a second "Hypothesis", of ISTJ (which is what I have always been suggesting).
    I think it's clear she's a "Melancholic" (Chart the Course) type. INTP's might have a cynical streak at times, but they are generally much more "light and airy" (from the Ne) than she is. To be an INTP, she would have to be a perpetually depressed or beaten down by life one, yet it seems she is just being her normal self, and this would fit an IxTJ's interaction style more.
    I'm starting to come around to this idea, INTPs are not the most optimistic types but they are usually pretty open and accepting, heck, some are even quite jovial(look at Einstein). Daria just seems perpetually dismissive(supporting chart the course interaction style), I don't see any Ne-style brainstorming and zany, imaginative play with her at all. I think she could be a INTJ in a NiFi loop, I see little Te in her(she is more of an observer), maybe that's were the confusion about her type is coming from.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari