Mr. Dimartino: EXXJ
    Mr. Oneil: INFP
    Ms. Li: EXXJ
    Whatsername aggressive lady: ESTJ
    Goth girl who appears like 2 times: ISFP
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Quote Originally Posted by mrsherlockholmes View Post
    Hey, I can relate to that too. Writers block, not thinking your work is good enough, being caught between accpetance and living up to your own moral standards. I can relate to all that quite easily. I don't think it's at all INTJ suggestive.
    I understand the main difference between INTJ and INTP is that the INTJ is more decisive than the INTP, giving the former the ability to skip the fruitless and engage in the more promising, while the latter gets stuck in almost every place in order to examine it thoroughly before, if at all, making a decision. This difference, I presume, causes the difference we can notice in their behavior: that the INTPs appear to be, and probably even are, indifferent to many things, among them, for instance, what other people think of them, how they come across; whereas the INTJs are quite aware of how they are perceived, resulting, if they care for certain aspects of their public reception, in the construction of an appearance that suits their goals.

So if the carefree attitude of INTPs really stems from not caring about what other people do or think, and the indifferent appearance of INTJs is indeed often a mechanism for self-protection, then I think Daria is better described as an INTJ.

To support my assumption, I offer two of her problems, (a) one about decisiveness and self-protection, and (b) one about public appearance and indifference through contemplation rather than natural development.

(a) In 'Write Where It Hurts', "Mr. O'Neill asks Daria to write a story about people she knows in a dramatic way, but Daria develops writers' block on her project (and resentment for her mother) until Helen urges her to write something that reflects the way Daria wants things to be." (Wikipedia)

The conversation between Daria and Helen:

Daria: My story sucks.
    Helen: Well, honey, if you just give it another day or two -
    Daria: Everything I do has already been done. I wanted to write something meaningful. I can't write anything at all.
    Helen: Maybe you're trying to hard, maybe you don't have to write something meaningful, just something honest.
    Daria: I can do honest. I look around me, I describe what I see.
    Helen: How about describing what you'd like to see, honestly.
    Daria: What do you mean?
    Helen: Daria, the easiest thing in the world for you is being honest about what you observe -
    Daria: Aaand?
    Helen: What's hard for you is being honest about your wishes, about the way you think things should be, not the way they are. You gloss over it with a cynical joke and nobody finds out what you really believe in.
    Daria: Aha, so my evil plan is working.
    Helen: If you really wanna be honest, be truthful about you'd like to happen. There's the challenge.
    Daria: Where the hell did you learn so much about me?

(b) In 'Through A Lens Darkly', "Daria gets contact lenses so she can see better during her driver's test, but rejects them when they cause her physical discomfort. She finds it surprisingly difficult, however, to return to her old appearance." (Wikipedia)

A conversation between Daria and Jane:

Daria: I tell you the truth. This whole thing's got me really confused. I want my glasses back.
    Jane: Are you still hung up on that vanity thing?
    Daria: That's not it. Everyone already knows I'm vain.
    Jane: O, you're one huge narcissist. So if not that, then what?
    Daria: This is kind of hard to explain. It's, like, I know my glasses set me apart. When I look in the mirror without them, I can't see a thing. But when I put them on and look in the mirror again, I think -
    Jane: Yeah...?
    Daria: I think to myself: Nevermind the glasses. You can see things that other people can't. You can see better than other people. So to hell with them and what they think about you and your glasses.
    Jane: You're not talking about eyesight anymore, are you?
    Daria: No.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I understand the main difference between INTJ and INTP is that the INTJ is more decisive than the INTP, giving the former the ability to skip the fruitless and engage in the more promising, while the latter gets stuck in almost every place in order to examine it thoroughly before, if at all, making a decision. This difference, I presume, causes the difference we can notice in their behavior: that the INTPs appear to be, and probably even are, indifferent to many things, among them, for instance, what other people think of them, how they come across; whereas the INTJs are quite aware of how they are perceived, resulting, if they care for certain aspects of their public reception, in the construction of an appearance that suits their goals.

So if the carefree attitude of INTPs really stems from not caring about what other people do or think, and the indifferent appearance of INTJs is indeed often a mechanism for self-protection, then I think Daria is better described as an INTJ.

To support my assumption, I offer two of her problems, (a) one about decisiveness and self-protection, and (b) one about public appearance and indifference through contemplation rather than natural development.

(a) In 'Write Where It Hurts', "Mr. O'Neill asks Daria to write a story about people she knows in a dramatic way, but Daria develops writers' block on her project (and resentment for her mother) until Helen urges her to write something that reflects the way Daria wants things to be." (Wikipedia)

Daria: Everything I do has already been done. I wanted to write something meaningful. I can't write anything at all.
    Helen: Maybe you're trying to hard, maybe you don't have to write something meaningful, just something honest.
    Helen: Daria, the easiest thing in the world for you is being honest about what you observe -
    Helen: What's hard for you is being honest about your wishes, about the way you think things should be, not the way they are. You gloss over it with a cynical joke and nobody finds out what you really believe in.
    Helen: If you really wanna be honest, be truthful about you'd like to happen. There's the challenge.

(b) In 'Through A Lens Darkly', "Daria gets contact lenses so she can see better during her driver's test, but rejects them when they cause her physical discomfort. She finds it surprisingly difficult, however, to return to her old appearance." (Wikipedia)

A conversation between Daria and Jane:

Daria: I tell you the truth. This whole thing's got me really confused. I want my glasses back.
    Jane: Are you still hung up on that vanity thing?
    Daria: That's not it. Everyone already knows I'm vain.
    Jane: O, you're one huge narcissist. So if not that, then what?
    Daria: This is kind of hard to explain. It's, like, I know my glasses set me apart. When I look in the mirror without them, I can't see a thing. But when I put them on and look in the mirror again, I think -
    Jane: Yeah...?
    Daria: I think to myself: Nevermind the glasses. You can see things that other people can't. You can see better than other people. So to hell with them and what they think about you and your glasses.
    Jane: You're not talking about eyesight anymore, are you?
    Daria: No.
    I don't understand. I really see nothing J suggestive here at all. You think INTPs are completely immune to pressures and what other people think? Because that's all I can derive here and it's not true at all. That sort of disconnected observation and immunity to the rest of society is something we may strive for, but realistically it doesn't always work. We still have anxieties and some level of need for acceptance. I don't think INTJs are necessarily more concerned about it either. All I can get from this two extracts is actually Darias perfectionism and indecisiveness, both of which are traits that are common if not universal among INTPs. If anything, Js would be quicker to decide on an idea and carry through with it, and as for the wanting not to be set apart by her glasses, that's pretty universal.
    JiNe

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post

I detect tertiary Fi in this - coming to terms with her feelings (values and ideals) and how to express them.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I detect tertiary Fi in this - coming to terms with her feelings (values and ideals) and how to express them.
    I suppose so. I read more Ti nitpicking and being unable to decide on something, perfectionism. Though I can see how it is Fi like.

Though I'm like that too... being worried about writing/expressing my ideals and stuff... I dunno.
    JiNe

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

being unable to decide on something has more to do with being an e5 with boundary issues and an inability to ultimately justify what she wants/her will to herself mainly stemming from the detachment strategy e5s use in order to prevent being overwhelmed.

she's definitely a 5w4.

All Natural! All Good!

I am convinced that Daria is ISTJ 5w4 actually. She is directive. Her high school speech about how beliefs must be validated by experiences shows the emphasis placed on experience, pointing to Si over Ni.

As for Jane. I am start to think ENxP though I was sure of ISxP before. I watched that episode where she pretended to fit in for an experiment. Then she started to doubt whether she really was just one of the "popular" kids at their school, and whether her strangeness was all an act, etc. On the other hand, she does not seem to overthink things too much, but that could just be a result of a good auxiliary (ie. no dom tert looping. GAH why am I trying to assign looping to a fictional character xD
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by penny89 View Post
    I am convinced that Daria is ISTJ 5w4 actually. She is directive. Her high school speech about how beliefs must be validated by experiences shows the emphasis placed on experience, pointing to Si over Ni.
    Agreed, actually. I was wrong in the OP. I decided a couple of months back that she was probably ISTJ, and largely for the reasons you mentioned.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

daria is definitely an INTP, jane is IXTJ

Quote Originally Posted by penny89 View Post

As for Jane. I am start to think ENxP though I was sure of ISxP before. I watched that episode where she pretended to fit in for an experiment. Then she started to doubt whether she really was just one of the "popular" kids at their school, and whether her strangeness was all an act, etc. On the other hand, she does not seem to overthink things too much, but that could just be a result of a good auxiliary (ie. no dom tert looping. GAH why am I trying to assign looping to a fictional character xD
    loooool
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I don't think ISTJ should be written off that quick. I kind of see similarities in that character Bones. I can't decide if she's ISTJ or INTP either.