12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Default The Fault in Our Stars

I haven't read the book and I have no intention of doing so, but I saw the movie and it was pretty good.

What I most wanted to comment on is the scene where Augustus is at the gas station and he calls Hazel, I thought this was a pretty typical ENFP moment. He's constantly happy and charming and then there's this scene where you see past all that and he completely breaks down and starts saying how he hates himself and wants to die.

I feel like it's easy to forget that every single person has feelings and doubts no matter how confident, charming, happy, entertaining, etc they may seem.

What types do you think the characters are?
    Have you (ENFPs or anyone else) had experience with having to hide your intense feelings behind a happy-go-lucky facade?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I haven't seen the show, though I am very familiar with the book writer John Green's Youtubing career.

Umm, no, not really. But I have a feeling this is more enneagram and instinctual related. I dont' so much hide feelings, I just don't vet them all over the place, I definitely do not maintain a happy-go-lucky facade. If people ask how I'm doing, sometimes I will say "Shitty, but I'm dealing."

There are times where I hide feelings that get in the way of me getting somewhere. Those things get buried so deep that I didn't even know they were there until after I achieve or crash and burn.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    IEE

Augustus seemed ENP to me. In the books I think he might have been ENTP but, from what I picked up from the movie, he was portrayed more as an ENFP. I think Hazel was probably INFP (just like John Green, and most of his main characters actually, now that I think about it...)

And yes, I do. I remember seeing this description of ENFP (I just cannot remember where though) that said something along the lines of "ENFP's often hide their negative emotions behind a mask of carelessness" or something like that. I definitely relate to that.

Yeah, just because we all have the same type, doesn't mean we're all the same people, ya know? I'm pretty certain I'm ENFP, but enneagram I really don't know. I think I'm either 6w7 or 7w6 so that might have something to do with it.

First post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

It sounds more e-gram related. Positive outlook types (2, 7, 9) tend gravitate towards looking at the bright side, avoiding negative feelings, etc to cope with their fears (avoiding feelings of being unloved, avoiding pain, avoiding separation). It sounds more E2 though since heart types deal with shame and self-hatred. They put up a charming front that makes them feel worthy of being loved, but they need to learn to take care of their own emotions more. Also there are plenty of ExFP 2w3s out there.

I haven't read the book or seen the movie though.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

The title alone makes me vomit. No desire to see it, nor find out what it's about. All I know is it's some sappy romance movie and I detest those things. . You couldn't PAY me to go see this.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    IEE

Yeah, enneagram 7, from what I just figured out from googling (i'm still trying to figure all this out in case you couldn't tell) tend to more avoid negative feelings, sadness, emotional pain, etc. So, that makes sense for me (and probably Augustus too). 7 is a "head type" and all of them apparently deal with anxiety. 5's and 7's deal with them in opposite ways. Like 5's don't want to deal with the outside world, so they turn inward; whereas 7's turn outward to not have to deal with their internal world.

I mean, that's over-simplified and stereotypical. But I think that's generally how it works.

Augustus is probably similar in that respect.

I really liked the book. It was weird in that it made me both laugh and cry uncontrollably.

- - - Updated - - -

^ Well of course you won't like it if you go into it thinking like that

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Normally I hate, hate, HATE romances, and I haven't seen the movie, but I thought the book was so cute and so well-written.

In the book, Augustus sounds like an ENTP. He isn't one to openly show his feelings (or at least not that often). He's very witty and charming.

Hazel I could see as an INFP. John Green is, so I think it would make perfect sense to type her as that since she is most definitely an introvert.

For fun, I'll say Isaac is an ISFP, Kaitlyn is an ExFJ, Hazel's mom is an ENxx, and Hazel's dad is a feeler of some sort.

MBTI
    XXFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Augustus is ENTP, I'd say. 7w6 maybe?

Hazel is actually ISFJ in my opinion, just a very sad one. I think 4w5?

MBTI
    ENTP

I read the book recently. But I've never seen the movie.

Hazel is a pretty clear INTP, as far as I can tell. Lots of Ti, lots of Ne.

Gus is trickier. I'd guess he is either ENFJ or ENTP.

Hazel's friend Kaitlyn is ENFJ.

EDIT: And the author character Van Houten is a very funny example of an INTJ. XD

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by why not View Post
    I think Hazel was probably INFP (just like John Green, and most of his main characters actually, now that I think about it...)
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_Red View Post
    Hazel I could see as an INFP. John Green is, so I think it would make perfect sense to type her as that since she is most definitely an introvert.
    I think John Green is actually INFJ. He doesn't suppress thinking, judging by his videos on history and economics. His own values don't really come into it. And he uses fe style presentation, focused on creating a community, rather than expression of inner emotions.

As for his characters, I can't see any self respecting ENTP saying this: "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

It doesn't indicate fi in the author either. It's not authentic enough. No teenager actually talks like this. It's artificial, designed to create emotions in the reader (externalization of feeling) rather then express the emotions of the author or the character (internal feeling).

His ni also shows in quotes like this:
    "There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities".

and this:

“I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I think the universe is inprobably biased toward the consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it-or my observation of it-is temporary?”

INFP YA writers, like JK Rowling or JD Salinger, know better than to awkwardly inject this kind of pseudo-philosophy into their books. They focus on the characters and the story.