User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Zappa

Default Zappa

Frank Zappa.

Type Him.

I've seen him typed intj, entp, istp, etc. Thoughts?

Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I don't know his type but I loathe his music.

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    I don't know his type but I loathe his music.
    Haha, yeah, people tend to either love or hate zappa. There's rarely people who merely like/dislike him or think his music is "okay"

I've always thought he was a tad bit overrated. Zappa fans tell me I'm just too dumb to get it. Whatever.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    Haha, yeah, people tend to either love or hate zappa. There's rarely people who merely like/dislike him or think his music is "okay"

I've always thought he was a tad bit overrated.
    Overrated? Eh I don't know, maybe not. I haven't really given his work a lot of my time, but I know he's a talented musician, and he deserves the credit he gets for that (I guess), but I mean from what I have heard, his "humour", his singing, and just dumb songs really get on my nerves.

And:

Zappa fans tell me I'm just too dumb to get it. Whatever.
    Yeah whatever lol.

That being said.. I have an INTJ friend who loves him, so

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    Overrated? Eh I don't know, maybe not. I haven't really given his work a lot of my time, but I know he's a talented musician, and he deserves the credit he gets for that (I guess), but I mean from what I have heard, his "humour", his singing, and just dumb songs really get on my nerves.

And:

Yeah whatever lol.

That being said.. I have an INTJ friend who loves him, so
    I've never really known where to start. His catalogue is HUGE. I haven't even made it through all of Eno's discography yet. One day I will get into Zappa and it's all I will listen to for weeks. I do that a lot with music. It's how I got into Bowie years ago. It wasn't enough to hear a best of comp--I had to hear every album, every obscure B-side.

A college friend played some zappa for me once. I kind of wrote it off for similar reasons as you mentioned.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I've always thought he was a tad bit overrated. Zappa fans tell me I'm just too dumb to get it. Whatever.
    Wut? Rude.

I'm a Zappa fan -- I might think people are "too dumb to get it" if they don't at least respect him for his musicianship, composition skills, etc, but otherwise I feel like you have to have a particular sense of humor to like him. You don't have to be smart to think "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" is funny.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Wut? Rude.

I'm a Zappa fan -- I might think people are "too dumb to get it" if they don't at least respect him for his musicianship, composition skills, etc, but otherwise I feel like you have to have a particular sense of humor to like him. You don't have to be smart to think "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" is funny.
    I have a weird sense of humor... I'd probably love his shit if I took the time to dive into it. Like I said above, when I get into an artist or composer, I usually have to hear EVERYTHING, so I'm a bit nervous.... Zappa made over 60 albums....do I start with the early shit and move forward chronologically or should I start with one of his landmark albums and ignore chronological release order? I haven't undertaken such a massive back catalogue exploration since listening to the complete works of Mozart. Plus there is the issue of finances, assuming I don't pursue illegal means of acquiring his music.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I do that a lot with music. It's how I got into Bowie years ago. It wasn't enough to hear a best of comp--I had to hear every album, every obscure B-side.
    Yuup. I'm the same way.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I have a weird sense of humor... I'd probably love his shit if I took the time to dive into it. Like I said above, when I get into an artist or composer, I usually have to hear EVERYTHING, so I'm a bit nervous.... Zappa made over 60 albums....do I start with the early shit and move forward chronologically or should I start with one of his landmark albums and ignore chronological release order? I haven't undertaken such a massive back catalogue exploration since listening to the complete works of Mozart.
    I say start with the landmark stuff and move on from there.

My suggestions for where to start:
    - Freak Out! (with the Mothers of Invention) and/or
    - We're Only In It For The Money (with the Mothers of Invention)
    - Hot Rats (my personal favorite)
    - Greatest Hits collection (might as well)

The good thing about starting with greatest hits, with Zappa, is that he has such clear "phases" to his work. Mothers-era Zappa is so different from 80's Zappa, versus late-era orchestral Zappa and Hot Rats-era instrumental Zappa. That way you can get a good idea, starting off, of which phases you like the best, and you can move through the discography that way.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I say start with the landmark stuff and move on from there.

My suggestions for where to start:
    - Freak Out! (with the Mothers of Invention) and/or
    - We're Only In It For The Money (with the Mothers of Invention)
    - Hot Rats (my personal favorite)
    - Greatest Hits collection (might as well)

The good thing about starting with greatest hits, with Zappa, is that he has such clear "phases" to his work. Mothers-era Zappa is so different from 80's Zappa, versus late-era orchestral Zappa and Hot Rats-era instrumental Zappa. That way you can get a good idea, starting off, of which phases you like the best, and you can move through the discography that way.
    That's how I approached Bowie and Eno. Thanks