User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 368

  1. #11
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    If you have a mental image for comparison then at least it's not completely arbitrary. It's an archetypal impression drawn from several real examples.

    It's like being shown a breed of dog or cat that you've never seen before, your mind automatically compels you to deem it a dog or cat because you've seen so many examples of both of them from different species.
    Perhaps. But I don't think my mental image is based on real examples. The archetypical ISTP is usually described as a mechanic or something similar, and that's the association I made looking at the picture.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    First person seems Fi-valuing with the telling "in-pain" face (called such because it looks like they are in pain, not because they are actually in pain).

    If I were to take a guess, ISFj. (Let's isolate VI to its origination)

    I have no idea for the second person. (EDIT: though my base instinct tells me ISTj, or at least Ni-valuing in some fashion)
    If you mean ISFP (which is kind of identical with ISFj in that "other" typology), then I agree. However, I don't know where VI originated. I know there were practitioners of Enneagram VI over 20 years ago.

    But you only explained Fi. How do you explain SP (or Se)?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #13
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Perhaps. But I don't think my mental image is based on real examples. The archetypical ISTP is usually described as a mechanic or something similar, and that's the association I made looking at the picture.
    Then it's based on real examples of mechanics, not all of whom are ISTPs.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #14
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    If you mean ISFP (which is kind of identical with ISFj in that "other" typology), then I agree. However, I don't know where VI originated. I know there were practitioners of Enneagram VI over 20 years ago.

    But you only explained Fi. How do you explain SP (or Se)?
    The Fi was easy to recognize but I can't point to any exact quantitative data that suggests S over N, so I went with what I felt was appropriate (a hunch, if you will).

  5. #15
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Then it's based on real examples of mechanics, not all of whom are ISTPs.
    Lol. Yes, you're right.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    The Fi was easy to recognize but I can't point to any exact quantitative data that suggests S over N, so I went with what I felt was appropriate (a hunch, if you will).
    Would you agree that Intuitives see themselves as deep, and that Sensors see themselves as practical?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #17
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Would you agree that Intuitives see themselves as deep, and that Sensors see themselves as practical?
    I'd actually put forth that deep vs practical would be more along the lines of Fi vs Te and Ni vs Se rather than the entire function attitude of N or S.

    How individuals might view themselves based on certain functions:

    Practical: Te and Se
    Deep: Fi and Ni
    Structured (or Rational): Ti and Si
    Open-minded: Ne and Fe (it's a stretch for the last one, though emotionally they would be rather open-minded)

    This of course assumes that there would be perfect symmetry in these categories.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I'd actually put forth that deep vs practical would be more along the lines of Fi vs Te and Ni vs Se rather than the entire function attitude of N or S.
    I can see your point there, especially Ni vs. Se.

    If the sad-faced gentleman is Fi-dom, then is he Se or Ne aux?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #19
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Lol. Yes, you're right.
    To me, he appears "tough but fair," mechanically-inclined, practical...
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #20
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I can see your point there, especially Ni vs. Se.

    If the sad-faced gentleman is Fi-dom, then is he Se or Ne aux?
    Well, staying strictly with VI, it would be safe to analyze the individual's eyes (from some source I don't remember, perception functions show themselves in the way the eyes act, who would have guessed?).

    Penetrating, glazed eyes -> Ni
    Child-like, twinkling eyes -> Ne
    Intense eyes, wider open -> Se
    Soft, calm eyes -> Si

    I guess the individual would be more Se due to the way his eyes seem to be more intense than child-like (which is really based on the fact that his eyes don't look like the "naive" eyes of the Ne types at all, I really don't see any intensity).

    I'm not a VI expert, let alone good at it, so it is merely an amateur analysis.

Similar Threads

  1. What is your writing style? - Determining Your Personality Type By What You Write
    By moira in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 269
    Last Post: 07-15-2014, 03:11 AM
  2. MBTI typings by preferences or functions?
    By Oaky in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 03:35 PM
  3. Auction: "Type"-ing. J or P?
    By Serendipity in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 06:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO