User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: The West Wing

MBTI
    IXTJ

Default The West Wing

What are your thoughts on these characters in The West Wing?

Josh Lyman. ESTP or ENTP? Or is he a J? (doubtful...)

Toby Ziegler. INFP or INTP?

CJ Cregg. ENFP or ENFJ? or something else?

Sam Seaborn. ENFP? or something?

I think I got everyone else down pat but these are the central characters--not counting President Bartlett who is an ENTJ.

Default The West Wing

I found this list on the web, which types the characters as follows:

Jed Bartlet: ENTJ
    Abbey Bartlet: ENFJ
    Leo McGarry: ISTJ
    Josh Lyman: ESTP
    Toby Ziegler: INTP
    C. J. Cregg: ENFP
    Sam Seaborn: ENFP
    Charlie Young: ISTJ
    Donna Moss: ESFP
    Will Bailey: ESTJ
    Matthew Santos: ENFP
    Arnold Vinick: INTJ
    Bob Russell: ESTP
    Kate Harper: ISTJ
    Annabeth Schott: ESFP
    Not knowing the last five of them, I disagree about a few others.

Jed Bartlet: ESTP or ESTJ
    Leo McGarry: INTJ
    Toby Ziegler: INFP
    Sam Seaborn: ISTJ
    Charlie Young: INFJ
    Will Bailey: INTJ

Committing the sin of function talk, I see absolutely no sign of N in Jed, only superficial signs of S in Leo, tons of damaged Fi and a lot of Te in Toby, Si and Te in Sam, veiled Ni and and bold Fe in Charlie, and obvious Ni and Te in Will.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Huh. I went searching for a thread before I started a new one, and found this, which never took off, but just in case anybody has seen The West Wing since July of 2008 when IXTJ started this thread, I'm wondering about CJ Cregg.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Netflix just started streaming it! I was so excited the other day when I found out. The first two seasons of this show has some of the best television writing ever- and a really strong cast too. I'd forgotten how good it is. My girl crush on CJ Cregg is back in full swing.

Aaron Sorkin's characters are really hard to 'type' because the writing is so idealistic that the characters aren't especially believable to me (it's still incredibly entertaining, it's just also unrealistic). The dialogue is so fast paced- the banter alone could lead me to type every single character NTP. Yet they're all so concerned with ideals in an NF sort of way. And I could find the best of SJ and SP qualities in them as well- it's like Sorkin made frankensteins-in-reverse from the best possible qualities in a way that doesn't happen irl. It's a problem with typing fictional characters in general, but it's especially problematic with Sorkin. I can't help but think any vibe I get- as far as type- is really more about the actor than the character.

That being said, I've been thinking about CJ for several days now while watching and I think either ESTP or ENFJ.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Of the two, I think ENFJ. And Josh Lyman, ENTP. I work in the neighborhood of the White House and it's quite realistic to me -- not every day is like that, there are long, long stretches of time where nothing much goes on, but when we're in the middle of a case, the pace is that fast and the dialogue sometimes nearly as good (which is why I stick around during the slow periods). One thing I enjoy about the show is the bold-faced sort of "art of the deal" aspect, where everything is negotiable and it's understood right out in the open that favors are being asked and granted and tally is being kept.

I've heard ENFP for CJ and I'd love to hear why anyone would think that, just so I can see the reasoning...

Bartlet - ENFJ
    Toby - INTP (I can see INFP too)
    Leo - ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Netflix just started streaming it! I was so excited the other day when I found out. The first two seasons of this show has some of the best television writing ever- and a really strong cast too.
    I've been finishing it up, and I'd have to disagree. I like the last two seasons even more (Santos' story). I heard bad things about the last seasons, but I think the first few seasons had an almost "serial" like quality to them. Like a monster of the week tv series, but with the White House. Bartlet's presidency has to be most eventful period in American history. The last two seasons are more focused on what a presidential run is like and has a better narrative.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I've been finishing it up, and I'd have to disagree. I like the last two seasons even more (Santos' story). I heard bad things about the last seasons, but I think the first few seasons had an almost "serial" like quality to them. Like a monster of the week tv series, but with the White House. Bartlet's presidency has to be most eventful period in American history. The last two seasons are more focused on what a presidential run is like and has a better narrative.
    I never watched beyond halfway through season 4 because it got too bland to me, like Law & Order caliber boring. I believe Sorkin took a break from writing after the first couple seasons (which are the only ones I liked). And though I heard he did more writing again in those last two seasons, it didn't seem worth it to me to go back and watch 3 seasons of pastiche just to know what's going on in those last two seasons.

I do agree there's something lacking in those first seasons, I think he even admitted that his writing was unrealistic in its idealism. I really like the banter though. I'm a sucker for good banter between characters. I was a fan of Sports Night (Sorkin's first series) too, because of the banter.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm just watching the last few episodes. Toby's got to be an INTP. I love him to bits and I don't understand why he's considered such an unsympathetic character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I'm just watching the last few episodes. Toby's got to be an INTP. I love him to bits and I don't understand why he's considered such an unsympathetic character.
    I finished the show highly annoyed with him. I would say it's just the self-righteousness. If he was able to be elected himself, he could do a lot of good, but he sucks as a subordinate. He's a bit like Ralph Nader.