• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, and Endeavour

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Endeavour Morse: INTJ 5w6
Robert Lewis: ESFP 9w1 (Morse's foil)
Jim Strange: ESFJ
James Hathaway: INFJ
Fred Thursday: ISFJ
Reginald Bright: ESTJ

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Endeavour Morse: INTJ 5w6

Is this for the younger Morse/the new series? I've only seen one episode so far, but that sounds about right.

John Thaw's Morse, though, seems very ENJ to me.

Hathaway: I've vacillated between INFJ and INTP. .

Lewis: with Morse, he seemed SFP to me- but in later series with Hathaway he seemed more ISJ. If not 9, then 6w5.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Thaw's Morse was pretty clearly introverted. He always needed time to recharge with crossword puzzles, opera, or beer, and he preferred a few close friends (Lewis, Strange) to a wide circle of associates. I did think about ISTJ, but the way he solves cases is pretty intuitive. Lewis does change a bit when he gets his own series, but I figure his true personality is the one he showed with Morse, and being in charge just makes him look a bit like a judger. I never got the impression he was an introvert. I could see INTP for Hathaway, but I do think he shows more fe than te. And, like Morse, he uses ni to solve cases.

robert.burns

MBTI Type
infj
Observing a girl make a pass at him, ESFP asks his INFJ sidekick, "did you just bow to her?" Yes, he did. I think Hathaway is the best written and acted INFJ I've seen.

I think the INTP/INFJ tossup phenomenon is pretty interesting, because it can result from:
- Spock syndrome: they wanted to write him without emotions, but then realized, that's boring, and made it more of a "still waters" character
- shadow function stress response: INFJs are not all artists and social workers -- many live INTP lives or rely on those functions under stress
- character development: over long periods, these two types exchange many people in real life