User Tag List

123 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Dead Poets Society

Could you help me, please, and tell me what you think the characters' types might be? I love this film. Thanks!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Oberon

The Robin Williams character--the teacher--is definitely an extrovert.

But thinker, or feeler? I'm inclined to say T rather than F, and P rather than J, but both of those are judgment calls.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The Robin Williams character--the teacher--is definitely an extrovert.

But thinker, or feeler? I'm inclined to say T rather than F, and P rather than J, but both of those are judgment calls.
    Without doing a real analysis, I would say ENFJ.

Encouraging, passionate, keeps some privacy of his own life (i.e., protecting his own inner world).

One key scene: He suspects that Neil is lying about his dad but has too much compassion and tact to openly challenge him (and call him a liar, basically)... then feels horribly let down when he realizes Neil had lied, although he's fully cognizant of the fact he sort of already knew it.

Doesn't blame the boys at all for letting him take the fall, but also allows them to stand up for him at the end.

[Maybe PP wants to log in, and state whether she feels a kinship to him?]

Neil: ENFP (passionate, catalytic, a flame leaping from one thing to the next... but can't stand up for himself against J mentality and is emotionally devastated
    Todd: INxP (a more detached INFP, or a 5w4 sort of INTP)
    Cameron: ISFJ (typical extreme male ISFJ)
    Meeks: ISxx (kind, more engaging)
    Pitts: ISTJ (impersonal, techie, but kind)
    Knox: ISxP
    Charlie: ESTP (always buck the system; won't be told what to do; exploit what can be)
    mr. nolan: ESTJ (?)
    mr. Perry: IxTJ
    Mrs. Perry: ISFJ
    McAllister: IxTx
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Todd: INxP (a more detached INFP, or a 5w4 sort of INTP)
    He seems very INFP to me. He's shy and definitely has that "tragic" sort of theme going on with him.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    He seems very INFP to me. He's shy and definitely has that "tragic" sort of theme going on with him.
    The problem is that he doesn't know what he wants -- he remains detached from his own needs -- and judges personal things from an impersonal and detached vantage, even with his closest friends. And even with his friends, he preferred to remain aloof, rather than fully engaging.

This is far more typical of a T who instinctively tries to evaluate F-style expression and feelings through the impersonal filter.

I could hear Todd being much more likely to say, "That's stupid" or "That's unfair" rather than "That's mean" or "That isn't right."

Which is why he doesn't know what to do with his deskset either. (For example.) Logically, he should be fine with it; but he's sensing he's really hurt over it; but he doesn't know why, and doesn't know what to do about it either; because technically his parents didn't do anything wrong.

(Neil helps him put it in perspective.)

he's very VERY detached from any inner Fi sense. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from someone with an Fi primary... but totally in lines with a Ti primary.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I see what you mean. I suppose if he had developed Fi he wouldn't have had any problems writing his poem either.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

mr. Perry: IxTJ
    I'm thinking ISTJ, if only because of the traditionalist (for his time) kind of opinions that he was supporting (get a decent job, always listen to father, respect your mother, stay out of trouble, etc.). I'm not positive though, as his character wasn't developped enough. Te is definitely a given though.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    I'm thinking ISTJ, if only because of the traditionalist (for his time) kind of opinions that he was supporting (get a decent job, always listen to father, respect your mother, stay out of trouble, etc.). I'm not positive though, as his character wasn't developped enough. Te is definitely a given though.
    Oh, definitely Te.

You're right, though; he was more a caricature / force acting on Neil than a real character per se, although Kurtwood played the role well enough that it was easy to understand why Neil could not stand up to him.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    agreed.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Banned

(Neil helps him put it in perspective.)
    Neil sucks.