• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dead Poets Society

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Could you help me, please, and tell me what you think the characters' types might be? I love this film. Thanks!

O

Oberon

The Robin Williams character--the teacher--is definitely an extrovert.

But thinker, or feeler? I'm inclined to say T rather than F, and P rather than J, but both of those are judgment calls.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Robin Williams character--the teacher--is definitely an extrovert.

But thinker, or feeler? I'm inclined to say T rather than F, and P rather than J, but both of those are judgment calls.

Without doing a real analysis, I would say ENFJ.

Encouraging, passionate, keeps some privacy of his own life (i.e., protecting his own inner world).

One key scene: He suspects that Neil is lying about his dad but has too much compassion and tact to openly challenge him (and call him a liar, basically)... then feels horribly let down when he realizes Neil had lied, although he's fully cognizant of the fact he sort of already knew it.

Doesn't blame the boys at all for letting him take the fall, but also allows them to stand up for him at the end.

[Maybe PP wants to log in, and state whether she feels a kinship to him?]

Neil: ENFP (passionate, catalytic, a flame leaping from one thing to the next... but can't stand up for himself against J mentality and is emotionally devastated
Todd: INxP (a more detached INFP, or a 5w4 sort of INTP)
Cameron: ISFJ (typical extreme male ISFJ)
Meeks: ISxx (kind, more engaging)
Pitts: ISTJ (impersonal, techie, but kind)
Knox: ISxP
Charlie: ESTP (always buck the system; won't be told what to do; exploit what can be)
mr. nolan: ESTJ (?)
mr. Perry: IxTJ
Mrs. Perry: ISFJ
McAllister: IxTx

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He seems very INFP to me. He's shy and definitely has that "tragic" sort of theme going on with him.

The problem is that he doesn't know what he wants -- he remains detached from his own needs -- and judges personal things from an impersonal and detached vantage, even with his closest friends. And even with his friends, he preferred to remain aloof, rather than fully engaging.

This is far more typical of a T who instinctively tries to evaluate F-style expression and feelings through the impersonal filter.

I could hear Todd being much more likely to say, "That's stupid" or "That's unfair" rather than "That's mean" or "That isn't right."

Which is why he doesn't know what to do with his deskset either. (For example.) Logically, he should be fine with it; but he's sensing he's really hurt over it; but he doesn't know why, and doesn't know what to do about it either; because technically his parents didn't do anything wrong.

(Neil helps him put it in perspective.)

he's very VERY detached from any inner Fi sense. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from someone with an Fi primary... but totally in lines with a Ti primary.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I see what you mean. I suppose if he had developed Fi he wouldn't have had any problems writing his poem either.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
mr. Perry: IxTJ

I'm thinking ISTJ, if only because of the traditionalist (for his time) kind of opinions that he was supporting (get a decent job, always listen to father, respect your mother, stay out of trouble, etc.). I'm not positive though, as his character wasn't developped enough. Te is definitely a given though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm thinking ISTJ, if only because of the traditionalist (for his time) kind of opinions that he was supporting (get a decent job, always listen to father, respect your mother, stay out of trouble, etc.). I'm not positive though, as his character wasn't developped enough. Te is definitely a given though.

Oh, definitely Te. :)

You're right, though; he was more a caricature / force acting on Neil than a real character per se, although Kurtwood played the role well enough that it was easy to understand why Neil could not stand up to him.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've never seen this movie before. I've heard it's good, though.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've never seen this movie before. I've heard it's good, though.

It's a good movie, to be sure, but after the first viewing it starts to leave a sugary taste in my mouth :D.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Alright, I'll hafta check it out. :yes:

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
The problem is that he doesn't know what he wants -- he remains detached from his own needs -- and judges personal things from an impersonal and detached vantage, even with his closest friends. And even with his friends, he preferred to remain aloof, rather than fully engaging.

This is far more typical of a T who instinctively tries to evaluate F-style expression and feelings through the impersonal filter.

I could hear Todd being much more likely to say, "That's stupid" or "That's unfair" rather than "That's mean" or "That isn't right."

Which is why he doesn't know what to do with his deskset either. (For example.) Logically, he should be fine with it; but he's sensing he's really hurt over it; but he doesn't know why, and doesn't know what to do about it either; because technically his parents didn't do anything wrong.

(Neil helps him put it in perspective.)

he's very VERY detached from any inner Fi sense. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from someone with an Fi primary... but totally in lines with a Ti primary.

Ive just watched this film again and as an infp and really identified with Todd - to me Todd is tortured by his feelings, they own him, he finds it very hard to express this in words - except when forced - when he speaks with real eloquence and passion (the poetry lesson) but it seems to me that he has a rich inner life. His extreeme introversion makes it seem as though he is cold or detached but he is really full of passions. He is very distressed by the deskset but feels he should somehow be grateful for a gift - however bad it is (typical - to me - screwed up infp guilt trip) :shock:

Everytime I watch it I feel more and more irritated by Mr Keating and his arrogance and crtainty that what he is doing is 'right' for all of the boys he teaches - I think I would have found Mr Keating's class a very scary place.

Works

MBTI Type
INTP
Disclaimer: One, this is not an on-topic post. Two, I love poetry. Three, I'm an English teacher.

I have a hard time watching this moving and I find it neither inspirational or moving. This movie was made for NF teachers. The few NT English teachers I know just roll our eyes when the title is mentioned. I guess I come from a more pragmatic school of thought when it comes to teaching literature.

Let me put it another way, decent movie, but a terrible teaching device.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Hi Works
I'm an NF teacher and agree that his teaching is horrible -as well as being a massive show off (yawn I'd get sick of that very soon) - he's manipulative, abuses his power and position, puts vulnerable young people at risk and takes a 'one approach fits all' position - I remember a similar teacher I had at A level English - by the end of the first year we had covered hardly any of the work we should have and nobody achieved the grades they could have. Of course education is not all about grades. Helping people find their passion is an important part of teaching to me - but it has to done using a great deal of sensitivity. I like aspects of the movie because of the portrayal of the young people but the film's 'message' is about as subtle as a brick.

My istp husband who has no regard for poetry at all - says he'd like to punch him!

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Dead Poets' Society is amazing! I watched it in English class. I think the teacher is probably an INTP who was passionate enough about his ideas to overcome the need to keep quiet.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Hi Works
I'm an NF teacher and agree that his teaching is horrible -as well as being a massive show off (yawn I'd get sick of that very soon) - he's manipulative, abuses his power and position, puts vulnerable young people at risk and takes a 'one approach fits all' position - I remember a similar teacher I had at A level English - by the end of the first year we had covered hardly any of the work we should have and nobody achieved the grades they could have. Of course education is not all about grades. Helping people find their passion is an important part of teaching to me - but it has to done using a great deal of sensitivity. I like aspects of the movie because of the portrayal of the young people but the film's 'message' is about as subtle as a brick.

My istp husband who has no regard for poetry at all - says he'd like to punch him!

Yeah, it annoyed the hell out of me, too.