• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Frozen's Elsa is INFJ

aalknj

MBTI Type
INFJ
So I recently saw Disney's Frozen and I absolutely loved it! My favorite Disney princess is now officially Elsa :D so I was thrilled when I looked up her type and found her to be INFJ! But I noticed some people also typed her as ISTJ or ISFJ.

Warning! There might be some spoilers!

The reason these people mistyped her as ISTJ is because she isn't really a warm and fuzzy type of person so they thought she might be a thinking type, but when others typed her as ISFJ, they saw through her cold (pun intended) exterior and realized that she really cared a lot for other people and was truly very selfless! But everyone who mistyped her as a sensor thought that she might be a sensor because she is dutiful and responsible. But this is why they're wrong:

Most people who mistyped her thought she was an ISFJ so I'm mainly going to talk about this. INFJs are often mistaken for ISFJs or even ISTJs because, yes, they are very dutiful and responsible, but that doesn't mean they're sensors. Personally, I think if people had to guess my type, they would think I'm ISFJ or ISTJ, though a few might see my intuition and correctly type me as INFJ. Like me, Elsa is a pretty archetypical INFJ- warm but can come across as cold or stubborn when stressed, expects a lot from herself, worries a lot, and acts reserved in public. INFJs are usually mistaken for ISFJs more often than ISFJs are mistaken for INFJs.

Because INFJs are so rare, people can't usually recognize one, but since I am one, I can always tell who is an INFJ. Usually, an INFJ will be quiet, reserved, practical, and kind- also what typical ISFJs are like. But usually you can tell INFJs apart from ISFJs because INFJs are more independent, mysterious, deep, wise, mature, creative, and aren't as passive as ISFJs. Also, an INFJ will surprise you with strength and talents that you never even knew they had. INFJs also have this vibe that is different from the ISFJ vibe, but maybe I can only recognize this because of my own INFJ-ness.

I don't think Elsa is an ISFJ because I don't think most ISFJs would build an ice castle after running away. They would probably weep or break down. (think Cinderella, who is ISFJ). But the thing about INFJs is that when something bad happens, we don't just feel sad; we get angry, frustrated, and slightly rebellious, which is what happened to Elsa and caused her to build the castle. Which brings me to another reason- Elsa built an ICE CASTLE for goodness' sake! She used her creativity and strong spirit to create that gorgeous ice castle! Definitely a sign of intuition.

When Elsa tried to hide her powers from everyone, she worried and stressed A LOT, which is something us INFJs do quite often! She always thought about the future, and was fearful and cautious. She expects a lot from herself, and tries to seem perfect in public. Elsa is an extremely strong and complex Disney princess. Idina Menzel was chosen as Elsa because her voice was strong, yet it also showed emotion and vulnerability, which very much applies to INFJs. And it shows when we sing or play music, too!

Elsa is always very future-oriented, especially when she sings Let It Go and decides that her future and place will be to stay in the ice castle. She tells herself to forget the past. To me, this is very Ni and very un-Si. Elsa thinks that she belongs in the castle, and gets very negatively emotional when Anna tells her that Arendelle is frozen, because Elsa thought that she had finally found her place- something all INFJs try to do.

Elsa has a lot of the same problems that most INFJs face. She feels different, and has to learn to accept herself and find her place in society. She also tries to suppress these differences, which is what a lot of INFJs do. Also, she learns that she can't just shut everyone out, and that she needs others. She realizes that she has to stop hiding her true self from others and just wants people to accept her for who she is, though at the beginning, she's afraid that people won't (which is what actually happened.) This is something almost every INFJ has to go through in their life. I've gotten a little bit better now, but I used to think that people didn't want to be around me, and I always felt kinda different but tried to be the same until I learned to accept myself and found my place. I used to feel weird being around other people because I was so different! I realized that I wasn't below everyone and that I should take the path that I wanted to take. I am sooooo thankful for my INFJ bestie :) because she and I help each other realize how vauable we each are. Because of her, I have gotten through my INFJ problems more quickly. Frozen is basically about Elsa's struggles as an INFJ and how she overcomes them. For all you other INFJs out there, yes, you are different, but different is a good thing, and if people don't except you and your talents, then that's their problem! It can be hard at first, but when you realize that people do value and respect you, your confidence makes them value and respect you even more! You aren't the same as everyone else, and just have to find your place in society! And hopefully that place is somewhere where you can use your skills to truly help other people!

Elsa is an extremely strong and complex character, and I don't think an ISFJ or any other type would be that strong and complex of a character. She is a very unique princess!

Sorry this post was so long but I had to rant about Elsa and INFJs in general to get it off my chest, but I also wanted people to discuss this topic! I hope you guys learned from this post and if you think I made any mistakes or you have something to say, please respond! I just wanted to talk about why Elsa is so INFJ, and I wanted get opinions from others. I didn't mean to offend ISFJs or any of the other types.

Steer2Justice

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You certainly seem as though you thought this out quite extensively.

I have nothing much to add besides the fact that I really liked this post and I thought Elsa was a certified INFJ almost halfway through the movie. Cheers. :D

I can't imagine how anyone could really see Elsa as an ISTJ or an ISFJ though. Like you said, the vibe is different. ISTJs tend to be more down-to-earth and practical as compared to INFJs which usually tends to put on a facade hiding their introspective selves… And much less ISFJ. I know ISFJs and they're more cuddly as compared to INFJs which tend to have a cold exterior but who are really nice deep down.

I feel as though I'm just repeating what you already mentioned in your analysis so I'll stop here.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Ok...I was a bit reluctant to go after seeing the trailer but now that I know there's an INFJ character in it, we're going ! My 5yr old daughter says thanks.

Steer2Justice

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok...I was a bit reluctant to go after seeing the trailer but now that I know there's an INFJ character in it, we're going ! My 5yr old daughter says thanks.

Elsa isn't the focus of the movie though. A pity because Frozen would have been so much better if it had focused on Elsa and her (very real) struggles...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Moved from general MBTI. Carry on :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Elsa isn't the focus of the movie though. A pity because Frozen would have been so much better if it had focused on Elsa and her (very real) struggles...

I felt like Elsa had the most compelling character narrative, but the overall story line was kind of all over the place.

Steer2Justice

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I felt like Elsa had the most compelling character narrative, but the overall story line was kind of all over the place.

Exactly. I thought the movie was a masterpiece in the first half - before focus was shifted over to Anna and her (almost cliche) quest. OMG how can it be fair for her to have TWO love interests and Elsa to not have even ONE when she would have benefitted so much from it.

UGH I just feel as though Elsa was shafted pretty badly in that movie even though she was the most compelling of the lot (and arguably amongst all Disney princesses) and I think an INFJ female would make an excellent and multifaceted protagonist.

Okay rant over.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To focus on the thread topic a moment :smile:, I do firmly believe Anna is more Fi-determined and Elsa Fe. I really identify with Elsa and much of it's because of her sense of being the oldest, taking ultra-responsibility, trying to make everyone else content without regarding her own needs, feeling down on herself, turning her emotions off so she can do her duty, etc. I totally resonate with that. When she finally is rejected, she lets it all go... well, as best as she can, anyway. She only learns to integrate when she accepts that parts of her she was taught to fear and hate are actually part of who she fundamentally is and so she should not be ashamed of them. Her emotions can be used to love and heal and protect, rather than to destroy and violate.

Elsa is more FJ to me than TJ, because she is viewing everything very personally and is very aware of the impact of her actions on others and their well-being and emotional states. TJ might be aware but is less likely to make it a focal point, they could be more steely about it (like portrayals of Queen Elizabeth). Elsa is suppressing to emulate more TJ behavior, versus doing it naturally.

I think Elsa also abstracts more than Mulan, who acts more of a positive sense of duty in alignment with who she is (and has trouble conforming to social appearances of a "lady") and has rather practical solutions to problems, grappling with them directly, rather than suppressing things out of a sense of huge responsibility beyond her norm like Elsa.

I see similarities between Belle and Elsa in their need to be self-controlled externally; however, Elsa represents a woman who has been taught to experience fear and shame about herself, while Belle is well-adjusted and her dad obviously gave her freedom to be herself and not be ashamed.

Exactly. I thought the movie was a masterpiece in the first half - before focus was shifted over to Anna and her (almost cliche) quest. OMG how can it be fair for her to have TWO love interests and Elsa to not have even ONE when she would have benefitted so much from it.

UGH I just feel as though Elsa was shafted pretty badly in that movie even though she was the most compelling of the lot (and arguably amongst all Disney princesses) and I think an INFJ female would make an excellent and multifaceted protagonist.

Okay rant over.

I consider it a reasonable criticism. Although I appreciate the trope subversion present in the movie, I have trouble understanding why it rated so highly. I didn't really feel much at all through much of it (aside from what bit I could summon for Elsa), it really WAS all over the place, the majority of the music is forgettable (I barely remember any of it, and music is something I've been doing since I was five), the "villain" ends up looking like a good guy until he's conveniently an evil guy at the drop of a hat, the other guy is essentially wasted because he serves no point in the story once the trope is subverted, and essentially the audience can't figure out who the main character is.

Elsa kind of is, but then it's like they wanted to focus on Anna to appeal to younger kids, and... well, it's not really clear who is telling the story. The draft really could have used a few more passes to get some narrative coherence and focus. Interesting, Tangled managed to pull that off anyway, although I think ultimately Rapunzel is determined to be the "focal character" even if sometimes Eugene is very deeply explored.

Or maybe that's because they both had their own true storylines that actually worked together to reach the same ending; here, while Elsa's story is a little more clear, she's pretty much just reacting to things and trying to prevent things from happening (so she's kind of a passive protagonist, a victim of circumstances), and while Anna is very active, her goals are all over the place... she's a lonely girl who is bummed because her sister has withdrawn, so... she's... doing what exactly?

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I just watched this yesterday, and it made me tear up because I had withdrawn from my only sister a few times. They didn't expand upon Elsa's story for a variety of reasons... some mentioned already. Also, it's hard for anyone's natural personality to flourish when the circumstances would bring upon forced isolation... as an issue for some INFJ's is knowing more than they should at an early age... especially when most are not ready (or will ever be ready) to have those conversations. With solid support systems, INFJ's can be a lot more like Anna and tap into their Se. Eventually, you'd learn how to fit in so well that you'd wait for the day that someone can pleasantly surprise you, or see right to your core. Perhaps this is why INFJ's need strong, perceptive partners (and why it would have been risky to incorporate an ideal partner for Elsa without perplexing the majority of the intended audience -- I'd sometimes wonder whether anyone other than an INFJ would know who to include). For Elsa, one who can withstand her icy glaze but not melt anything other than her heart would do the trick.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I didn't really think about Elsa being INFJ but it makes a lot of sense. :)

pastabomber

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I saw Elsa as either an IXFP or an INFJ as well~

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
I typed her as INFJ when I saw it. Very Fe - very concerned about group and community welfare, and is self-sacrificing in her own isolation to meet that end. She struck me as an Ni user also, I didn't really see Si, certainly not dominant. She has forced herself to look like a thinker with her "Ice Queen" persona but her judgements and decisions are based on group harmony.

How about Anna? I typed her as ESFP but have seen her typed as ENFP elsewhere. I'd like to see what others think. She's veeeeery extroverted.

aalknj

MBTI Type
INFJ
I typed her as INFJ when I saw it. Very Fe - very concerned about group and community welfare, and is self-sacrificing in her own isolation to meet that end. She struck me as an Ni user also, I didn't really see Si, certainly not dominant. She has forced herself to look like a thinker with her "Ice Queen" persona but her judgements and decisions are based on group harmony.

How about Anna? I typed her as ESFP but have seen her typed as ENFP elsewhere. I'd like to see what others think. She's veeeeery extroverted.

I've wondered about Anna as well...not sure if she's ESFP or ENFP

whitelion

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
While watching Frozen, I felt like Elsa was INFJ and I'd say Anna is ENFP (maybe ENFJ). I really like them both which is not surprising - I'm INFJ and ENFPs are supposed to be our perfect matches :D I wish I had a friend like Anna!

L

LadyLazarus

Elsa:INFJ 4w5
Anna:ESFP 7w6
Kristoff:ISFP 6w7
Hans:INTJ 3w4

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
She had magic ice powers, not magic mind-reading powers, therefore she can NOT be INFJ.

Source: Vicky Jo