User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Default The Hobbit (Desolation Of Smaug)

Saw the movie a couple of days ago. I naturally had to make a thread about it. I'm still quite a novice in the art of typing, so bear with me (Get it? BEAR with me! BEAR = BEORN)

Bilbo - ESFJ (Ti for inquisitiveness, Ne for latent sense of adventure)
    Gandalf - INTP (He's still grey, not white)
    Thorin - ESTJ (Si is glaringly obvious, I can't imagine an ENTJ being consumed by his past)
    Balin - ISFP (Basketball)
    Beorn - ISFJ (ISTJ in the book)
    Legolas - ESFP (Se to the core, uses a lot of Te in the movie)
    Tauriel - INFP
    Bard - ISTJ
    Radagast - ISFP
    Thranduil - ISTP?
    Smaug - xNTP?
    Sauron - ENTJ (Bad stereotype, but I want him to be relevant to this thread)

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfAwesome View Post
    Saw the movie a couple of days ago. I naturally had to make a thread about it. I'm still quite a novice in the art of typing, so bear with me (Get it? BEAR with me! BEAR = BEORN)

Bilbo - ESFJ (Ti for inquisitiveness, Ne for latent sense of adventure)
    Gandalf - INTP (He's still grey, not white)
    Thorin - ESTJ (Si is glaringly obvious, I can't imagine an ENTJ being consumed by his past)
    Balin - ISFP (Basketball)
    Beorn - ISFJ (ISTJ in the book)
    Legolas - ESFP (Se to the core, uses a lot of Te in the movie)
    Tauriel - INFP
    Bard - ISTJ
    Radagast - ISFP
    Thranduil - ISTP?
    Smaug - xNTP?
    Sauron - ENTJ (Bad stereotype, but I want him to be relevant to this thread)
    I just finished the book, but I haven't seen the latest movie. At any rate, I thought Bilbo was an SFJ also. There is a touch of NTish qualities, but they aren't at the forefront, and are not more pronounced until he gets older.

Anyway, I thought the first movie improved on the characterization of the dwarves from the book.

What type would you say Gandalf the White is?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    What type would you say Gandalf the White is?
    Most people think that when Gandalf the Grey becomes Gandalf the White he switches from INTP to INTJ. IDK why, maybe he'll tell us.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I'm actually calling Smaug an ENTJ; he's very destructive and greedy, makes a big show of things, and such. His ego is also transcends the size of his ginormous body. And the dragon takes extreme delight in conquering civilization and scorching it into his own twisted simulacrum of Hell!

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Most people think that when Gandalf the Grey becomes Gandalf the White he switches from INTP to INTJ. IDK why, maybe he'll tell us.
    I don't think so. I don't think you change your type, I think you just become better at different functions which makes typing more difficult.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I don't think so. I don't think you change your type, I think you just become better at different functions which makes typing more difficult.
    Agreed - Gandalf is a pretty clear case of INTJ anyway; he's pretty much a solitary hermit that builds his worldviews up and uses it to take action as a leader.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Because after centuries of wearing the guise of mortal man, his insights and thinking and approach was mired and steeped in mortal flesh. This leads to doubt, self-questioning, uncertainty. He was "further from the source" in other words, and this leads to a more open P approach because he has to figure out the truth as he goes.

He became the White after Saruman had morally fallen and he was sent back to Middle Earth, all those centuries of living as a mortal being stripped from him. he was sprayed clean, IOW, and had a direct line back to the West. So he could operate with certainty and conviction. And of course it the "conviction/certainty" thing is often more a J trait.

I don't want to say Gandalf the Grey was "bad," but he had lived so long in Middle Earth as a mortal he had forgotten what were essentially angelic roots, and you see him more as his angelic form upon his return.

I saw the movie last night and pretty much hated it. I wish Jackson would stop muddying and expanding these movies with all of his shit and just focus on an actual, meaningful storyline. With each movie, he's pretty much just more and more swiping characters and locales and just doing his own thing with them.

The first minute or so of Smaug was probably the best part of the movie, though. At least he got that bit right. I was unnerved, and that's the effect a dragon should have.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Ha this is funny, you folks are calling INTPs the wise mortal men, and INTJs the masterful immortals!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Ha this is funny, you folks are calling INTPs the wise mortal men, and INTJs the masterful immortals!
    Not really. Because none of us are angels in disguise. Gandalf merely emulates certain type traits because of his angelic nature cloaked in flesh, I don't know what type he "really is."

With human beings, J is "forced closure" and P is "forced openness," due to the human's propensity for either having freedom to respond or needing the security of closure. Gandalf's J/P behavior has a different basis.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Well, to speak with the facts, Gandalf the "White" actually does directly say: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. There's another path; one that we all must take. The gray rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and it will change to silver glass, and then you see it.

So clearly, he believes in opening up the horizons.
    I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just presenting a counterargument.