• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hobbit (Desolation Of Smaug)

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
Saw the movie a couple of days ago. I naturally had to make a thread about it. I'm still quite a novice in the art of typing, so bear with me (Get it? BEAR with me! BEAR = BEORN)

Bilbo - ESFJ (Ti for inquisitiveness, Ne for latent sense of adventure)
Gandalf - INTP (He's still grey, not white)
Thorin - ESTJ (Si is glaringly obvious, I can't imagine an ENTJ being consumed by his past)
Balin - ISFP (Basketball)
Beorn - ISFJ (ISTJ in the book)
Legolas - ESFP (Se to the core, uses a lot of Te in the movie)
Tauriel - INFP
Bard - ISTJ
Radagast - ISFP
Thranduil - ISTP?
Smaug - xNTP?
Sauron - ENTJ (Bad stereotype, but I want him to be relevant to this thread)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Saw the movie a couple of days ago. I naturally had to make a thread about it. I'm still quite a novice in the art of typing, so bear with me (Get it? BEAR with me! BEAR = BEORN)

Bilbo - ESFJ (Ti for inquisitiveness, Ne for latent sense of adventure)
Gandalf - INTP (He's still grey, not white)
Thorin - ESTJ (Si is glaringly obvious, I can't imagine an ENTJ being consumed by his past)
Balin - ISFP (Basketball)
Beorn - ISFJ (ISTJ in the book)
Legolas - ESFP (Se to the core, uses a lot of Te in the movie)
Tauriel - INFP
Bard - ISTJ
Radagast - ISFP
Thranduil - ISTP?
Smaug - xNTP?
Sauron - ENTJ (Bad stereotype, but I want him to be relevant to this thread)

I just finished the book, but I haven't seen the latest movie. At any rate, I thought Bilbo was an SFJ also. There is a touch of NTish qualities, but they aren't at the forefront, and are not more pronounced until he gets older.

Anyway, I thought the first movie improved on the characterization of the dwarves from the book.

What type would you say Gandalf the White is?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm actually calling Smaug an ENTJ; he's very destructive and greedy, makes a big show of things, and such. His ego is also transcends the size of his ginormous body. And the dragon takes extreme delight in conquering civilization and scorching it into his own twisted simulacrum of Hell!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most people think that when Gandalf the Grey becomes Gandalf the White he switches from INTP to INTJ. IDK why, maybe he'll tell us.

I don't think so. I don't think you change your type, I think you just become better at different functions which makes typing more difficult.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think so. I don't think you change your type, I think you just become better at different functions which makes typing more difficult.

Agreed - Gandalf is a pretty clear case of INTJ anyway; he's pretty much a solitary hermit that builds his worldviews up and uses it to take action as a leader.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most people think that when Gandalf the Grey becomes Gandalf the White he switches from INTP to INTJ. IDK why, maybe he'll tell us.

Because after centuries of wearing the guise of mortal man, his insights and thinking and approach was mired and steeped in mortal flesh. This leads to doubt, self-questioning, uncertainty. He was "further from the source" in other words, and this leads to a more open P approach because he has to figure out the truth as he goes.

He became the White after Saruman had morally fallen and he was sent back to Middle Earth, all those centuries of living as a mortal being stripped from him. he was sprayed clean, IOW, and had a direct line back to the West. So he could operate with certainty and conviction. And of course it the "conviction/certainty" thing is often more a J trait.

I don't want to say Gandalf the Grey was "bad," but he had lived so long in Middle Earth as a mortal he had forgotten what were essentially angelic roots, and you see him more as his angelic form upon his return.

I saw the movie last night and pretty much hated it. I wish Jackson would stop muddying and expanding these movies with all of his shit and just focus on an actual, meaningful storyline. With each movie, he's pretty much just more and more swiping characters and locales and just doing his own thing with them.

The first minute or so of Smaug was probably the best part of the movie, though. At least he got that bit right. I was unnerved, and that's the effect a dragon should have.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ha this is funny, you folks are calling INTPs the wise mortal men, and INTJs the masterful immortals!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha this is funny, you folks are calling INTPs the wise mortal men, and INTJs the masterful immortals!

Not really. Because none of us are angels in disguise. Gandalf merely emulates certain type traits because of his angelic nature cloaked in flesh, I don't know what type he "really is."

With human beings, J is "forced closure" and P is "forced openness," due to the human's propensity for either having freedom to respond or needing the security of closure. Gandalf's J/P behavior has a different basis.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, to speak with the facts, Gandalf the "White" actually does directly say: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. There's another path; one that we all must take. The gray rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and it will change to silver glass, and then you see it.

So clearly, he believes in opening up the horizons.
I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just presenting a counterargument.

Alea_iacta_est

Anybody else get pissed off that the orcs were chasing them in sunlight next to water? These were before the Uruk-hai, right?

What would you guys say Gandalf's dominant function is?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, to speak with the facts, Gandalf the "White" actually does directly say: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. There's another path; one that we all must take. The gray rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and it will change to silver glass, and then you see it.

So clearly, he believes in opening up the horizons.
I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just presenting a counterargument.

Let me know when you make it.

Anybody else get pissed off that the orcs were chasing them in sunlight next to water? These were before the Uruk-hai, right?

Well, hot damn. i was so focused on those stupid barrels that consistently stood upright in the water despite the topheavy dwarves that I totally missed that point.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Didn't watch it (boo!) but I like the fact that apparently John Watson is supposed to fight Sherlock Holmes in this movie. :happy2:

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
Well, it was more like Watson trying to hide from Sherlock, after the two have a deliciously witty banter.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I second this. The film lacks a story arc. It's just a whole lot of middle without a beginning or climax.

Isn't it kind of by definition a "middle"? It's beginning and end are separate movies...