My guess: ESFP
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 03-24-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: merged

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

I think ENTP, given his skepticism, interest in sciences (he was friends with Tesla and an amateur inventor), and -- I know this is biased, shaddup -- his writing style.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Yeah on the N...I can't imagine a dominant Extraverted Sensing type in the 1800's writing A Connecticutt Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

I think of Paul Newmann in Cool Hand Luke as the archetypal ESFP. The way Twain packed the theaters for his standup routines again points to EN to me.
    edcoaching

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

My first guess would be ENFP, but I can see ENTP as well.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Mark Twain, ENTP?

So I was reading the type descriptions on typelogic.com, which is one of my favorite sites, but their guesses as to which famous people of the past were which types seem woefully inaccurate.

For instance, they list Mark Twain as an ENFP. Mark Twain, the biggest smart ass of his generation. Mark Twain, who preferred biting deadpan satire and reveled in shredding his opponents through clever twists in logic. Mark Twain, who filled a friend's bed with wasps as a practical joke!

???
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Sounds about right.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Mark Twain is teh ENTP I tells ya!

Indisputable proof of this notion can be found here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...e-list-ii.html for all your author typing needs!
    4w5 sp

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Mark Twain is teh ENTP I tells ya!

Indisputable proof of this notion can be found here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...e-list-ii.html for all your author typing needs!
    What's with the big avoidance of typing authors (and scientists) as ENFP? Your list has a tiny ENFP section with L. Ron Hubbard in it!

I tried to type Twain a while ago. I wasn't sure though. His writing flow has a lot of NFP to it. But some things in his approach didn't quite feel ENFP.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Mark Twain might be an ENTP, but Dickens is the Fi ENFP man, all of his books are loaded with value type undertones. Either way, I have a hard time believing an ENP is able to finish anything they start to save their lives. Especially a project as long as a book.

Anyway, we will let them slide as they seem to fit the stereotype.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    What's with the big avoidance of typing authors (and scientists) as ENFP? Your list has a tiny ENFP section with L. Ron Hubbard in it!

I tried to type Twain a while ago. I wasn't sure though. His writing flow has a lot of NFP to it. But some things in his approach didn't quite feel ENFP.
    Writing fiction and science are not the ENFPs strongest points. You'd find a hell of a lot of INTPs pursue a philosophy or science career, and not so many take up acting or singing for example. Types all have stronger biases and weaker biases.

Also, you have some of the best writers in your category; Charlotte Bronte, Pushkin and Ralph Waldo Emerson. You're not exactly short-changed (unlike the ESTJs).

Dickens is ENTP.
    4w5 sp