User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

  1. #1
    Member LUBUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    56

    Default Vintage Personalities by MB type

    People,

    I'd very much like to extend this list of notorious / vintage personalities for each MBTI type.

    Contributions and critiques very much welcome -- especially for the S types.


    ----

    INTP- Idealistic Analysts

    Albert Einstein
    René Descartes
    Immanuel Kant
    Richard Dawkins



    ENTP - Analytical Entrepreneurs

    Voltaire
    Niccolo Machiavelli
    David Hume
    Bertrand Russell
    Richard Feynman



    INTJ- Analytical Visionaries

    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Ayn Rand
    Isaac Asimov
    Karl Marx
    Vladimir Lenin


    INFJ-Compassionate Visionaries

    Plato
    Dante Alighieri
    Karl G. Jung
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Susan Sontag


    INFP-Idealistic Dreamers

    Homer
    Virgil
    William Shakespeare
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Henry David Thoreau



    ENFP- Enterprising Dreamers

    Oscar Wilde
    Leo Tolstoy


    ENTJ- Visionary Directors

    Aristotle
    Julius Caesar
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    Joseph Stalin
    Margaret Thatcher
    Carl Sagan



    ENFJ- Compassionate Directors

    J.W. von Goethe
    Martin Luther King, Jr.



    ISTJ- Tough-minded Stalwarts

    George Washington
    Queen Elizabeth II


    ESTJ- Conservative Directors

    Henry Ford
    Augusto Pinochet



    ESTP- Analytical Adventurers

    Winston Churchill
    Dale Carnegie



    ISTP- Adventurous Analysts

    Diogenes the Cynic
    Clint Eastwood
    Bruce Lee



    ISFP- Adventurous Artists

    Nero
    Michael Jackson



    ESFP- Sensitive Adventurers

    Bill Clinton



    ISFJ- Sensitive Stalwarts

    Mother Theresa



    ESFJ- Sensitive Directors

    Harry S. Truman

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    This list is quite good but I have a few (potentially controversial) alternate suggestions for a few of them:

    Richard Dawkins - I think he is an NTJ (perhaps ENTJ).

    Aristotle - STJ perhaps (he was an empiricist essentially the founder of the scientific method and that system is Si and Te at its core) though he may have just been an INTP with good Si. Admittedly a little bit of a shot in the dark here.

    Nero - ESFP - Judging from what I read about him he didn't strike me as much of an introvert (though in regards to accounts of Nero who knows what to believe?) and if he was clinically insane then I don't see how he can be typed.

    Winston Churchill - I've seen him typed as an ESTJ but I'm open to an ESTP typing.

    Josef Stalin - I've seen him typed as a sensor a few times though some accounts from that time cast a few doubts on it. It may once again be a case of trying to type an insane man.

    Oscar Wilde - I've seen an ENTP typing for him before but ENFP is fair enough for me.

    Lenin - One of the web pages (the one with the portraits and quotes) types him as an NFJ.

    I think that's it. The rest I either agree with or have no data for.

  3. #3
    Member LUBUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    This list is quite good but I have a few (potentially controversial) alternate suggestions for a few of them:

    Richard Dawkins - I think he is an NTJ (perhaps ENTJ).

    Aristotle - STJ perhaps (he was an empiricist essentially the founder of the scientific method and that system is Si and Te at its core) though he may have just been an INTP with good Si. Admittedly a little bit of a shot in the dark here.

    Nero - ESFP - Judging from what I read about him he didn't strike me as much of an introvert (though in regards to accounts of Nero who knows what to believe?) and if he was clinically insane then I don't see how he can be typed.

    Winston Churchill - I've seen him typed as an ESTJ but I'm open to an ESTP typing.

    Josef Stalin - I've seen him typed as a sensor a few times though some accounts from that time cast a few doubts on it. It may once again be a case of trying to type an insane man.

    Oscar Wilde - I've seen an ENTP typing for him before but ENFP is fair enough for me.

    Lenin - One of the web pages (the one with the portraits and quotes) types him as an NFJ.

    I think that's it. The rest I either agree with or have no data for.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    R.Dawkins - NTJ ... you're saying that he deals with the «real world» mostly via the Te function. Do you say this because he seems fixed and wholly devoted to the so-called scientific method and because he reeks of militant / non-armchair atheism? ...or some other reason, perhaps?

    Aristotle - STJ ... well, his ideas of human cognition and reality clearly point to Extraversion (information in the world goes into mind for calculation and then must come back transformed to the world)...he's not a dominant intuitive type, he lacks the fantasy and full-winged vision of Plato and the like, he's more about stating without ornaments...this makes an ETJ, then...yes, he was mainly an empiricist, he gathered a lot of data over time, which may seem contrary to an ENTJ with their drive to make decision fast and informed by inspiration...on the other hand, he did turn out some speculations more based on abstractions than in rigorous observations (see his views on human reproduction)...still, ESTJ...you might have a good point here.

    Nero...ESFP ...yes, he was rather insane...if psychotic, that might confuse us on his being introverted (mentally buffered from the outside world)...we need more clear-cut information on this one.

    W.Churchill ... ESTJ ... that would make him a strict director of sorts ... though in my mind, he was more of a very active participant in concrete matters, ordering around coming more from his status as a political leader...still, I confess I don't have more than very basic information on him...for further enquiry.

    J.Stalin ... Why preference for S? Because he was highly materialistic? We could have been an EN type just as well...and he based his decisions on ideas and visions rather than personal experienced and time honoured strategies, as far as I know...

    O.Wilde ... T type ... I've read many of his works...and he doesn't seem like the type of person concerned with impersonal analysis of what was around him ... he produced more fantastical musings on the nature of beauty and the ugly and the human soul than anything else...

    V.Lenin ... NFJ ... well, he's much more likely to be a NJ type ... it has been reported that he was a brooding character and that he instinctively kept distance from the world before interacting with it ... why F? Because he devoted his life to the welfare of the Russian people? I suspect that it did not matter to him as much as competing with the West for a solid political-economical ideology...in private, he displayed a rather cynical and sardonic humour, as told by Bertrand Russell...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LUBUS View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

    R.Dawkins - NTJ ... you're saying that he deals with the «real world» mostly via the Te function. Do you say this because he seems fixed and wholly devoted to the so-called scientific method and because he reeks of militant / non-armchair atheism? ...or some other reason, perhaps?
    Mainly because (from what I've seen of him in action) his whole approach is deductive reasoning while INTPs tend to favour inductive logic. That being said his assertiveness implies confidence and certainty on his part - he knows he is right and wants others to see the light.

    Aristotle - STJ ... well, his ideas of human cognition and reality clearly point to Extraversion (information in the world goes into mind for calculation and then must come back transformed to the world)...he's not a dominant intuitive type, he lacks the fantasy and full-winged vision of Plato and the like, he's more about stating without ornaments...this makes an ETJ, then...yes, he was mainly an empiricist, he gathered a lot of data over time, which may seem contrary to an ENTJ with their drive to make decision fast and informed by inspiration...on the other hand, he did turn out some speculations more based on abstractions than in rigorous observations (see his views on human reproduction)...still, ESTJ...you might have a good point here.
    I admit I did not have certainty because I don't know the approach he made for his determinations. He may have been an N but saw the necessity for the Si & Te approach for whichever reason. I'll find the time to read Aristotle's works again (it's been nearly ten years for me now) and see if I can come to a better conclusion.

    W.Churchill ... ESTJ ... that would make him a strict director of sorts ... though in my mind, he was more of a very active participant in concrete matters, ordering around coming more from his status as a political leader...still, I confess I don't have more than very basic information on him...for further enquiry.
    I think he did direct a lot - he essentially told the whole country what to believe and they followed. He essentially ordered them not to surrender and to fight the Nazis on every front if they had to. He was challenged and had no desire to change his mind or back down until either Nazi Germany were defeated or Britain was completely destroyed. He was rigid but also pragmatic - he realised that by changing his views on the Soviet Union after the commencement of Operation Barbarossa he could have an ally to help speed up the completion of his objectives (once the Nazis were losing the war his views of the Soviet Union reverted back to their former state). Whether an ESTP would do that - I don't know.

    J.Stalin ... Why preference for S? Because he was highly materialistic? We could have been an EN type just as well...and he based his decisions on ideas and visions rather than personal experienced and time honoured strategies, as far as I know...
    Perhaps. However the whole "Socialism in one country" approach to matters implied (at least to me) that he wasn't a global thinker. I would think that an N would see the need to influence the outside and to strengthen the inside as parts of a continuum (much like Trotsky's world view). He could have industrialised the Soviet Union whilst funding revolutionary groups in other countries; even if they fail their respective countries would weaken and Soviet security would be assured. Ignoring the conspiracy theories that Stalin planned to attack the West, I think that had Hitler not attacked (something which surprised him even though the whole non-aggression pact was supposedly to buy the USSR time) Stalin would have just forever maintained it's pre-1939 or 1939-1941 borders indefinitely until it faded away.

  5. #5
    Member LUBUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    Mainly because (from what I've seen of him in action) his whole approach is deductive reasoning while INTPs tend to favour inductive logic. That being said his assertiveness implies confidence and certainty on his part - he knows he is right and wants others to see the light.

    Interesting...I've heard that Ti types are the ones big on deductive, rather than inductive, reasoning! Look into this and tell me what you think:


    http://www.celebritytypes.com/blog/2...-is-deductive/




    I think he did direct a lot - he essentially told the whole country what to believe and they followed. He essentially ordered them not to surrender and to fight the Nazis on every front if they had to. He was challenged and had no desire to change his mind or back down until either Nazi Germany were defeated or Britain was completely destroyed. He was rigid but also pragmatic - he realised that by changing his views on the Soviet Union after the commencement of Operation Barbarossa he could have an ally to help speed up the completion of his objectives (once the Nazis were losing the war his views of the Soviet Union reverted back to their former state). Whether an ESTP would do that - I don't know.

    You seem to have more information on him...again, there's a good case for ESTJ, but we must take care not to confuse his «role» and his «temperament»...also, ESTPs can extravert their Ti, being mainly E types, thus seeming ESTJs sometimes ... we're sure that he was most pragmatic, but I'm not wholly convinced that he was all that rigid ...

    Perhaps. However the whole "Socialism in one country" approach to matters implied (at least to me) that he wasn't a global thinker. I would think that an N would see the need to influence the outside and to strengthen the inside as parts of a continuum (much like Trotsky's world view). He could have industrialised the Soviet Union whilst funding revolutionary groups in other countries; even if they fail their respective countries would weaken and Soviet security would be assured. Ignoring the conspiracy theories that Stalin planned to attack the West, I think that had Hitler not attacked (something which surprised him even though the whole non-aggression pact was supposedly to buy the USSR time) Stalin would have just forever maintained it's pre-1939 or 1939-1941 borders indefinitely until it faded away.

    That last phrase of yours , and it makes a better question than sentence...I think the N/S for Stalin hinges on the answers to questions like those. Do you know any good Stalin scholar?...


    Any new names for the list, by the way?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    @LUBUS - That article is interesting. I will have to rethink my understanding of the two functions. Thanks. I myself don't know of many Stalinist era scholars.

    As for new names (I'm assuming you want me to add some of my own rather than pull some potential mistypes from the original list):

    INTJ

    Augustus Caesar
    Hannibal Barca

    ENTJ

    Mao Zedong
    Attila the Hun
    Genghis Khan

    INTP

    Niels Bohr (unsure)
    Marcus Aurelius

    ENTP

    Socrates

    ENFP

    Joan of Arc

    INFP

    Anne Frank
    Soren Kierkegaard
    Hitler (I don't think anyone can determine the truth. Similar dilemma to Nero).

    INFJ

    Ho Chi Minh (unsure)
    Zoroaster/Zarathustra

    ISFP

    Van Gogh

    ESFP

    Miley Cyrus

    ISFJ

    Heinrich Himmler

    ISTJ

    Cato the Younger (unsure)

    ESTJ

    Gordon Ramsay

    ESTP

    Rommel (unsure)

  7. #7
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    I don't know whether you're aware of this, LUBUS, but most of the typings on your list correspond to the typings on CelebrityTypes. You'll find lots more typings there.

  8. #8
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    INTP

    Marcus Aurelius
    Too much gravitas to be a P, imo.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Too much gravitas to be a P, imo.
    You're not referring to Richard Harris are you? I meant the real guy and not the character. I've read "Meditations" and it seemed like the sort of thing I could imagine an INTP would write.

  10. #10
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    You're not referring to Richard Harris are you? I meant the real guy and not the character. I've read "Meditations" and it seemed like the sort of thing I could imagine an INTP would write.
    I am referring to Meditations. I wrote a thing about it somewhere around here, maybe I'll find it later. I think he's very J, though I recognize that's my own opinion.

    I have not seen whatever you're referring to with Richard Harris (though I bet he'd be a good Marcus Aurelius).
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] Defeatism created by INTP type description
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 06:24 PM
  2. Orchestra Personality and MBTI Type
    By Haphazard in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 11:39 AM
  3. Another Person Confused About Type
    By Orangey in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Leave it to Beaver MB types
    By nightwatcher in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 07:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO