First 123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I'm no ultra-wise authority on these things, but it seems like there's a bit too many 5w4s.

Perhaps it's more common than I think and/or it's a biased projection.

I thought 5w6 and 6w5 are completely capable of generating esoteric conceptions.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Emotionalogic View Post
    He te'd constantly, and was a very judgmental person. His quotes read like a parody of an INTJ, albeit a virulently anti-semitic one.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer

Great chess player though, best there ever was for my money.
    Actually, forget what I said. I always thought he was INTJ too. Lol. Dunno why I said INTP.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I would like to hear why you prefer INTJ to INFP for Kafka.
    In my view, people usually type Kafka INFP out of stereotypes rather than function analysis. INFP is the standard typing for great writers (Shakespeare is often labeled INFP, even though we know so little about him that he could have been any type). It is also the standard typing for Anti-Social, Overwhelmed, too-good-for-this-world shut-ins (Kurt Cobain, an ISFP, is always typed INFP for this reason). My theory is that he was an INTJ with badly repressed se, stuck in a ni-fi loop. His books seem more concerned with giving voice to his existentialist ideas and exploring his paranoia than creating a fantasy world, developing characters, or articulating emotional ideals. Compare him to Orwell, and I think you see a ni vs. fi. contrast. According to wikipedia, today he is noted more for his visions and perspective (he basically predicted the 20th century) than his characters, use of language, or other typical INFP writing strengths. He also created a "rigidly inflexible and sterile bureaucratic universe, and wrote in an aloof manner full of legal and scientific terms". Sounds more te than fi. He also apparently invented modern safety gear (no, really http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_hat) which seems te; a logical extension of the external environment. He could have been an INFP living out his inferior te in his writing, but I find INFPs tend to write (or read) fiction because they prefer imagination to reality. Kafka's writing seems more ni to me, like Dostoevsky's or Dante's (both INFJ). He explores perspectives, ideas, and nightmarish, paranoid visions. Kafka: "If the book we are reading does not wake us, as with a fist hammering on our skulls, then why do we read it?" He could have been an INFJ, but apparently he possessed "a quiet and cool demeanor, obvious intelligence, and a dry sense of humour", which sounds INTJish to me. His writing is also totally lacking in fe. Apparently he possessed "precise conscientiousness" and was "very sensitive to noise and preferred quiet when writing". Sounds like a J fusspot to me. His books just read very much like an INTJ's work, as well.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I'm no ultra-wise authority on these things, but it seems like there's a bit too many 5w4s.

Perhaps it's more common than I think and/or it's a biased projection.

I thought 5w6 and 6w5 are completely capable of generating esoteric conceptions.
    Certainly they are, and it's quite possible I'm projecting. Which 5w4s seems off to you? I do think 6 and w6 are over prescribed to INTJs as opposed to 4 and w4 though, because of the stereotype of INTJs as no-nonsense, highly competent types.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Certainly they are, and it's quite possible I'm projecting. Which 5w4s seems off to you? I do think 6 and w6 are over prescribed to INTJs as opposed to 4 and w4 though, because of the stereotype of INTJs as no-nonsense, highly competent types.
    The ones I had in mind were mainly the folks with more technical inclincations, and namely some of the cosmologists.

The answer must be in the middle of the wings - I posted that comment largely just to see what kind of responce it would generate.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    The ones I had in mind were mainly the folks with more technical inclincations, and namely some of the cosmologists.

The answer must be in the middle of the wings - I posted that comment largely just to see what kind of responce it would generate.
    The only cosmologists on the list are Hawking and Newton, both of whom are 5w6

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

The 5w4 is known as "the iconoclast". Tell me tat doesn't describe Hitchens perfectly. He seemed more concerned with preserving his individuality than with safety to me, otherwise he wouldn't have made such brazen attacks on popular figures and norms (he slammed Mother Teresa, for crying out loud). Sam Harris, in my view, is an INFJ 5w6, and he's much more cautious and concerned with his safety.
    I think "The Devil's Advocate", or "The Skeptical Loyalist", describe him very well, and that, as a clearly counterphobic 6w5, attacking popular characters and norms would not only *not* be out of character, but would be *exactly* what he would be known for. A 5 would be too concerned with maintaining his own internal space and separation from society to be as constantly out and in the public eye as Hitchens was and clearly loved to be (due largely to his unhealthy connection to enneagram 3).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

What's wrong with Noam Chomsky? He seems pretty harmless compared to Hitler. >_>
    The only way out is through. The faster you're in, the better.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Thunder View Post
    What's wrong with Noam Chomsky? He seems pretty harmless compared to Hitler. >_>
    That's a pretty low standard for him right there. Yes, he's better than Hitler. That doesn't change the fact that he's an innatist dickhead who's outlandish ideas (which lack any empirical support whatsoever) have brought him a cult of public-intellectualism, which he has used to promote some truly uninspired political ideas.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I think "The Devil's Advocate", or "The Skeptical Loyalist", describe him very well, and that, as a clearly counterphobic 6w5, attacking popular characters and norms would not only *not* be out of character, but would be *exactly* what he would be known for. A 5 would be too concerned with maintaining his own internal space and separation from society to be as constantly out and in the public eye as Hitchens was and clearly loved to be (due largely to his unhealthy connection to enneagram 3).
    Unhealthy 6 regressing to 3 is a possibility, but I don't think 6 fits him very well. He wasn't security oriented (he visited North Korea), nor was he reliable, stable, self-doubting, or stressful (he was very calm about his cancer). He was so immoderate that many mistake him for an ENTP 7w8. Furthermore, I don't think he was psychologically unhealthy. I see him more as a well developed 5 tending towards 8, which made him more outgoing. When unhealthy, he tended towards 7 (drinking, smoking, disorganization and the like). I also see 4 in his love of art, his iconoclasticism (his natural instinct was always to disagree, something I can definitely relate to), and his rather moody and brooding disposition. It is possible I'm projecting, but I do think 5w4 fits him best.

Additional INTJs:
    Real:
    Ambrose Bierce: 5w4
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: 6w5

Imaginary:
    God: 9w8 (Often mistyped as ENFJ)
    Zarathustra (from Thus Spoke Zarathustra, not the one on this board. Although, you never know...) 5w4
    Alec Hardy (from "Broadchurch"): 5w6
    Chris Wilton (from "Match Point"): 6w5
    John Galt, Howard Roark, and basically all other Ayn Rand heroes (all 5w6. Ayn Rand idealized INTJs, despite being a clear extrovert herself)