User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Joanna Newsom's type?

I'm not sure if any of you know of her... She is an amazing harpist/singer, and she is the best! I would just love to crack the code! My guess is either ISFP or INFP... She's so technical with her harp playing(S), but her lyrics are so fantastical and philosophical(N). If you don't know her, listen on itunes or see below for wiki-info... Thanks!

Joanna Newsom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

She seems clear INFP to me. Her lyrics are practically dripping with metaphor, and having seen some of her interviews, the ways she answers some of the questions seems to hold the same fantastical quality. It doesn't always take an S to be a great musician.

I'm actually hoping people do go listen to her, as half the people who hear her sing thinks she sounds like a dying cat, which amuses me. Definitely a love-it-or-hate-it kind of musician.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INFP

thanks for replying! i was convinced that no-one knows about her and/or cares! i just think she's amazing... i think infp feels right to me too- that must be why i love her so much!!!(i just didn't want to sound like a jerk for saying "i i love this person, she's so smart and awesome- she must be like me!!"..lol but it makes me happy to know that someone else likes her! What is your favorite song? Or maybe what song seems the most infp? different songs can have different personality types, i think!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    She seems clear INFP to me. Her lyrics are practically dripping with metaphor
    One person's metaphor is another person's fairytale. Without knowing for sure what the subject of the song is, you can't assume she's being metaphorical. I'm sure she is sometimes, but the song 'Monkey and Bear' could just be about a monkey and a bear.

You may be right about INFP, but performers use a persona to enhance delivery which inevitably clouds their 'true' type.

Favorite song? Colleen.

Or Cosmia.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by LowEnd View Post
    One person's metaphor is another person's fairytale. Without knowing for sure what the subject of the song is, you can't assume she's being metaphorical. I'm sure she is sometimes, but the song 'Monkey and Bear' could just be about a monkey and a bear.

You may be right about INFP, but performers use a persona to enhance delivery which inevitably clouds their 'true' type.

Favorite song? Colleen.

Or Cosmia.
    I was thinking more of Only Skin when I was talking about metaphor. With Monkey and Bear, yeah I agree, it really depends on your perspective.

As for her type, I was going more based on her interviews than anything else. Like you can't type a writer based on their books, I believe that you usually won't be able to tell a performer's type based on their performance.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INFP

All of the songs on Ys are stacked with metaphors; I've read in multiple interviews that the five songs on Ys represent five major events that happened in her life( I really doubt one of those includes actual monkeys and bears!) She's talked about how the album all revolves around water: flooding, drowning, floating, etc... And she has talked about how it is important to her that the listener doesn't understand what she means, exactly. Her interviews as well, are so dreamy and idea focused- I just can't imagine her being an S.

Default Joanna Newsom: type?

What type is Joanna Newsom?
    She is a California-based harp player, singer and songwriter.

Here is an interview of her (in which she says she is most comfortable in the mountains jumping from rock to rock like a mountain goat):
    YouTube - Joanna Newsom

Here is a video of her playing a song:
    YouTube - Joanna Newsom - Ca' the yowes to the knowes

Any guesses?

I say ISFP! (And not because I am one, teehee.)

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

She is such an INFJ.

I... suppose. Yeah!

I counter that with her VI, as well as her bright and colorful clothing (most times), as well as her strong connection to nature. But I could always be wrong.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Could be, the way she described struggling to express her feelings out side of song all sounded pretty ISFPish.