• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joanna Newsom's type?

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we have two different views on type, you seem to be using MBTI to type people. Type in Jung's view is the precondition for a person to think a certain way.

There are alot of other important variables to a person's behaviour, liking upbringing, the current environment, and other sociological conditions. Type only plays one part in the complexity of human behaviour. The way people behave is a dynamic process of different influences and conditions.

It is important in Jung's idea of typology to separate a person's outward behaviour from their inner cognitive processes. Most of the time a person's outward behaviour will conicide with their cognitive disposition, however, you can't observe a person's outward behaviour and then say you know everything about that person, or know what that person is really thinking. People will not always act in the way their type entails them to.

And you say the annoying quality is intrinsic to the INFJ type, please explain this connection? Just because you meet a few INFJs that you deemed annoying, how does that make it intrinsic to all INFJs?

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I wholeheartedly agree that personality type is the "precondition" (predisposition?) for a person to think a certain way. Different personality types are going to react differently in different situations, and while there will always be variance within any given set, the averages will reflect group differences, and group differences reflect upon individuals, whether directly or indirectly. If you don't believe this, then I urge you to consider military and law enforcement candidate selection and tell recruiters from both institutions that personality has no bearing on individual behaviour. Personality influences thought, and thought governs behaviour.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
i kind of agree with isfp... but it does appear as though it is the isfp's screaming isfp...

she seems less like she's writing about a particular reason or cause, or making a particular statement so much as she is just writing what sounds good.

I doubt she's just writing 'what sounds good'.

She strikes me as very INFJ (including her attention to sensory detail) She's very eloquent and as genial as she is aloof from the interviews I've seen/read (which is something I equate with INFJ women).
Just because she isn't campaigning for the Nobel Peace Prize, it doesn't mean she isn't an INFJ. I really can't see her as an ISFP at all.

For a comparison: Joni Mitchell is ISFP - Not Newsom.

She's CUTE.

ftlto7.jpg

Adorable.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
No, Newsom is isfp. She's way too cutesy/smiley/giggly not to be.

YouTube - Joanna Newsom - Artist Conversation - part 1/3 - Interview (2010-03-12 @ Calvin College)
From left to right, my impressions are as follows:
isfp, isfp, infp, isfp

I still don't see it. Even in that interview, she's exercising Ni more as a dominant function than a teritary. In her lyrics, her sensing doesn't seem immediate to me - She processes the physical world via Ni, with extraverted sensing being more a means of grounding that intricate interior world she seems to possess. You see this INxJ writers.

And since when are Fi types 'cutesy'? Most of them appear stoic, even the women. Wouldn't Fe be more likely to be that responsive?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i put all my money on infj. her orchestration, it feels like bright eyes, but more challenging. van dyke parks--entp. she reminds me of an infj 4w5 sp/sx girl i know.

Sunny Ghost

I still don't see it. Even in that interview, she's exercising Ni more as a dominant function than a teritary. In her lyrics, her sensing doesn't seem immediate to me - She processes the physical world via Ni, with extraverted sensing being more a means of grounding that intricate interior world she seems to possess. You see this INxJ writers.
From the interview, I really feel ISFP. I mean, I don't discount that I could be wrong on this. INFP's and INFJ's are much more confident, or at least give off an air of confidence when discussing their "art," or discussing in front of people in general. ISFP's are incredibly uncomfortable when asked about anything they create. INFP's and INFJ's don't necessarily prefer to be around a lot of people, but when thrown into it, are not made uncomfortable. INFP's/INFJ's prefer to be in their mind then around people, ISFP's are uncomfortable around people, especially when it comes to talking. :blush: We can be goofy and silly around groups of people or seem like a cool reserved cat, but aren't typically chatty or comfortable talking unless we're one on one with someone. The way she is during this questionnaire is very reminiscent of me in any sort of public speaking course or presentation I am forced to do in school.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

And since when are Fi types 'cutesy'? Most of them appear stoic, even the women. Wouldn't Fe be more likely to be that responsive?

Ethical subtype SEIs in socionics can be plenty demonstrative, but I was wrong, which I'll attribute to watching a few interviews and relying on association because an aversion to her music. Suppose I was skeptical because she doesn't seem adverse towards working with infps at all, and there's usually a noticeable communication gap between the types.

Sunny Ghost

i'm an isfp that dated an infp for a long time. i don't think either of us ever felt there was a communication gap between us. in fact, we always highly valued the other because of our ability to communicate with one another so well. and not just on an emotional level but intellectually as well. however, he did always complain about how in public situations i would come off "dumbed down" because of my inadequacy in certain social situations.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i'm an isfp that dated an infp for a long time. i don't think either of us ever felt there was a communication gap between us. in fact, we always highly valued the other because of our ability to communicate with one another so well. and not just on an emotional level but intellectually as well. however, he did always complain about how in public situations i would come off "dumbed down" because of my inadequacy in certain social situations.

Ah, I was referring to between infj and infps. Interesting notion though. I personally find communication with isfps to be friendly, but cut short partially because of my complete lack of interest in extroverted sensation/the moment. Anhedonia I think is what I have.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a Nilsson affectionado, I know infps can be good buds with isfps (he wrote several songs and went drinking all the time with Ringo), so I think VD Parks, with his colorful, warm personality and song titles (looking at Last.fm, most of his top tracks are names of people or places - Palm Desert, Vine Street, Bing Crosby, etc.), I'd offer that he is isfp, and so by association Newsom ought to be (especially since I see more infps and isfps listed on her wiki page, rather than intp/infjs).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a Nilsson affectionado, I know infps can be good buds with isfps (he wrote several songs and went drinking all the time with Ringo), so I think VD Parks, with his colorful, warm personality and song titles (looking at Last.fm, most of his top tracks are names of people or places - Palm Desert, Vine Street, Bing Crosby, etc.), I'd offer that he is isfp, and so by association Newsom ought to be (especially since I see more infps and isfps listed on her wiki page, rather than intp/infjs).

Joanna Newsom - Wikiquote

as far as being buds with isfps, look at conor oberst. every fucking collaboration is isfp. mogis--his producer, m ward, jim james, etc. newsom's favorite author is nabokov, the quintessential inj (e5). and then she mentions faulkner, another infj. her literary style is way more these guys than steinbeck.

Sunny Ghost

i feel as though that line of logic is a fallacy. i really enjoy palaniuk and vonnegut... but i highly doubt either of those are isfp's. and i effin love the last unicorn! movie, of course. but it was a childhood fav. along with fantasia. and people always want to associate only infp's with fantasia. i think what one likes out of stories, music and writing isn't necessarily a direct correlation to how we relate to the world.

i've been reading some of her lyrics... and i still sense Se. haha. get it. sense.

and she's a composer. mozart! little musical genius playing harp at such a young age. she only picked up writing later from what i've gathered, to back up what she plays on the harp, because she saw the harp as being an instrument capable of taking center stage. she went to college to help aid her with her writing, but her first passion appears to be the instrument and music itself and not writing or poetry. ...from what i gather at least.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Who cares about Joanna Newsom? This thread should not have extended past the second page.

sandpaper

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
i wouldn't say enfp for sure. being an infp i can also be pretty energetic, funny and joking. it's rare but it happens.