• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joseph Campbell

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Myth is related to dream as the deeper zones of the sea to the shallows. In myth, as in dream, it is the secret of the inner world that comes to us, but the deepest secret, and from profundities too dreadful to be lightly known. Out of our own depths arise the forms; but out of regions where man is still terrible in wisdom, beauty, and bliss. This Atlantis of the interior realities is as strange to us as a foreign continent. Its secrets must be learned. And the way of learning is not that of the laboratory and lecture hall, but of controlled introspection."

This Joseph Campbell quote came up on my Facebook page, and it's something that I know is true to the center of my core. It must not be a coincidence that I've seen someone attempt to type him as an ENFP 4w5. Yet, when I search the generally agreed enneagram types are 6 and 9. But there just has to be 5 in him, either as core or wing. Anybody have any insight?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This Joseph Campbell quote came up on my Facebook page, and it's something that I know is true to the center of my core. It must not be a coincidence that I've seen someone attempt to type him as an ENFP 4w5. Yet, when I search the generally agreed enneagram types are 6 and 9. But there just has to be 5 in him, either as core or wing. Anybody have any insight?

I see ENFP 9w1>5w4>4w3 Sp/??

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah tritype, not sure how I feel about that yet.
he's too relaxed, mellow and mentally at peace to be a 4w5 or 5w4 (who gives off a strong vibe of internal anguish)

G

Ginkgo

For once I'm going to have to agree with [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]. ENFP 9w1>5w4>4w3, but sp/so or so/sp.

A brilliant writer.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
he's too relaxed, mellow and mentally at peace to be a 4w5 or 5w4 (who gives off a strong vibe of internal anguish)

Enneagram 5, Health Level 3:
Attain skillful mastery of whatever interests them. Excited by knowledge: often become expert in some field. Innovative and inventive, producing extremely valuable, original works. Highly independent, idiosyncratic, and whimsical.

But that entirely depends on health level. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but at the moment I'm attempting to make sense of his passion within a core/wing scenario. If I can't, that definitely leads to the need for me to accept trityping as necessary/useful. Too many addendums to a systems makes me dubious.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Enneagram 5, Health Level 3:
But that entirely depends on health level. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but at the moment I'm attempting to make sense of his passion within a core/wing scenario. If I can't, that definitely leads to the need for me to accept trityping as necessary/useful. Too many addendums to a systems makes me dubious.

even healthy 5s have a clearly cerebral energy about them

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTJ

he's calm, logical (watch how his face is almost expressionless), very composed, measured, self-directed individual, his lectures have a calming and sobering effect
not an EP temperament by any extent (and since when have ENFPs been making videos titled "on becoming an adult"?)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ Expressionless? It doesn't seem that way to me? He got very animated when describing the rituals and there is much inflection in his voice, much drama, rise and fall. He uses big gestures and has a sort of knowing twinkle/smile in his eyes much of the time. I do agree that I don't necessarily see ExxP, but I don't really see INTJ, either.

I don't know enough about him to say, really, but I sort of assumed he'd be an INFJ variety, based on his work.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Look at his eyes. He has this thing where he breaks his gaze and looks down, unfocused. If I'm not mistaken, that's an Ni characteristic. Also, watch his hands. He talks with his hands. They are what I would call exacting. He uses his hands to punctuate his statements. He also does this inward searching thing with his eyes which seems kind of Ti in nature. Also, his voice inflections. He is trying to draw you in by putting emphasizes on particular words. If you watch a video of Jane Goodall and notice some of her eye movements, voice inflections, etc. You'll see a similarity. This guy and Jane Goodall are much alike in their communication styles. Notice his eyes again, when he gathers his thoughts and focuses them, he drives them home with warm eyes [that lock onto his viewer with intent, an Se characteristic] and a charming little smile...I'm thinking this is probably an Fe thing. In fact, is use of Fe is so subtle that he has mastered it. Fe is that quality that makes you feel compelled to listen, drawn in. It isn't that he is an emotional person, but rather that he knows how to navigate around and through the emotions of others and how to interpret them.

So, right off hand, I'd guess him to be an E-5. He is clearly an Ni and his Ti is also highly developed. Also, he has an Se eye lock. So, likely he was an INFJ with a highly developed Ti and at his age, being a healthy INFJ, his Se is probably also well-developed.

I did first think INTJ but his warm smile and Fe facial expressions negate that. As for ENFP, he is too intent and focused.

Contrary to what some may thing, 5w4 do not have an underlying anguish, instead they have an underlying passion and sense of focus or purpose and this guy seriously has that. If you doubt it, turn off the volume and just watch his hands and his eyes. Invoke the power of Ni and read his body language for subtle nuisances.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Look at his eyes. He has this thing where he breaks his gaze and looks down, unfocused. If I'm not mistaken, that's an Ni characteristic. Also, watch his hands. He talks with his hands. They are what I would call exacting. He uses his hands to punctuate his statements. He also does this inward searching thing with his eyes which seems kind of Ti in nature. Also, his voice inflections. He is trying to draw you in by putting emphasizes on particular words. If you watch a video of Jane Goodall and notice some of her eye movements, voice inflections, etc. You'll see a similarity. This guy and Jane Goodall are much alike in their communication styles. Notice his eyes again, when he gathers his thoughts and focuses them, he drives them home with warm eyes [that lock onto his viewer with intent, an Se characteristic] and a charming little smile...I'm thinking this is probably an Fe thing. In fact, is use of Fe is so subtle that he has mastered it. Fe is that quality that makes you feel compelled to listen, drawn in. It isn't that he is an emotional person, but rather that he knows how to navigate around and through the emotions of others and how to interpret them.

So, right off hand, I'd guess him to be an E-5. He is clearly an Ni and his Ti is also highly developed. Also, he has an Se eye lock. So, likely he was an INFJ with a highly developed Ti and at his age, being a healthy INFJ, his Se is probably also well-developed.

I did first think INTJ but his warm smile and Fe facial expressions negate that. As for ENFP, he is too intent and focused.

Contrary to what some may thing, 5w4 do not have an underlying anguish, instead they have an underlying passion and sense of focus or purpose and this guy seriously has that. If you doubt it, turn off the volume and just watch his hands and his eyes. Invoke the power of Ni and read his body language for subtle nuisances.

. . . and here I'd thought talking with your hands was just an Italian thing.

my apologies in advance for having to reference this show

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Well, [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION], I guess a lot of people are secretly Italian:) hehe...