User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Richard Dawkins

Infinite Bubble

Default Richard Dawkins

I think it is quite to clear to see that he is a Te user. He cares only about the facts, evidence and empirical data, whilst rejecting his own personal values and feelings. I've seen him typed as both NTJ types in the past, but I think Te really is his most prominent characteristic, and inferior Fi makes more sense than Se, thus I type him as ENTJ (although it's not ridiculous to suggest that he uses Si-Ne instead).

If anyone here has read The God Delusion, it shows how prominent the function is by frequently citing works and quotes by peers to back up arguments as well as nearly constantly working with exterior frameworks and systems rather than his own personal logic, which would indicate Ti.

Plus his attachment to Darwin and his theory of Natural Selection, I think because of his Te adhering to an exterior framework, cements my evaluation of ENTJ, or at least, a dominant Te user.

I've provided this video (not only because it is hilarious) particularly for the interview that begins at 0:16, and sections of which are scattered throughout (1:15, 2:09, 3:29).

I think at 1:15 especially, shows inferior Fi, with his inability to answer such a question because of the requirement to make a personal subjective judgement and interpretations. This kind of question is the exact opposite of Te. At the end he also states that "I see myself", which might also indicate Se, only seeing what concretely is.

Again, at 2:09, he shows Te by mentioning the dictionary, an external system.

As for Enneagram, I'm not too sure, although I'll take a guess and say something along the lines of 5w6-1w9-2w1. No idea about the variants.
    Last edited by Infinite Bubble; 06-08-2013 at 08:14 PM.

How typical! Reducing a great Evolutionary Biologist to type. Rather than engaging what he says, we deracinate him under the guise of impartiality and attack him as a person.

How low can we get?

Can such bad faith take us any lower?

MBTI
    INTP

INTP with a severe case of tertiary temptation.

I find this particular case very interesting. The amazing thing about it is that Dawkins, in his main work of dismantling religion at least, has not broken any new ground. He is obsessed with the past (Si) - the old ways of philosophy, and how incorrect they are. He latches on to them like a dependent. He subsists on the past, despite the appearance of hating it. The past provides him with an incredibly ripe source of stupidity to try to correct.

This is the absolute bread and butter of the INTP. While Ne could be exploring the unknown world, he instead trades his happiness for security and clings to the known world, Si. When I was a teacher, I was very similar to Dawkins. I went to school every day to basically clash with students and the system itself and how stupid it was. I'd spend countless hours thinking about all the things that were wrong with it, all the ways it could be done better. I wanted to break free of this known world that I had been raised in, but to do something unprecedented (Ne) would have felt like jumping off a cliff.

In the end, though, I did make the jump. It's been hard and unrewarding since I made that jump, but it is still a relatively new change and I absolutely do not regret making it. Life had gotten too stale to move on with. There is something quite unpleasant about moving through life forcibly surrounding yourself with people you think are wrong about everything. I think Dawkins is one of the angriest people I have ever seen. I feel bad for him.

I think if Dawkins were an INTJ, he would be a totally different person of course, but his vitriol, if he still had it, would be more aimed at corruption in politics rather than stupidity in religion. That's the thing about the INTJ - they have tertiary Fi, which would lead them to protest mostly about unfairness, evildoing, etc. For an INTJ, look no further than his cosmologist buddy Lawrence Krauss, who has a much louder tongue about evil politicians and a much more vested interest in INTJ domains such as the Big Bang and the physics of Star Trek.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    How typical! Reducing a great Evolutionary Biologist to type. Rather than engaging what he says, we deracinate him under the guise of impartiality and attack him as a person.

How low can we get?

Can such bad faith take us any lower?
    I really agree with you in some threads, but it seems like any time anyone wants to talk about type you just come in and say it is all wrong and limiting. I think everyone understands that and takes things with a grain of salt. Everyone does fall most snugly into one of the 16 MBTI types - that is one of the assumptions we all kind of agreed to in signing up for this board. It's just for fun, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    It's just for fun, ya know?
    This is the perfect example of bad faith. It's almost as though we don't know where mbti came from and how extensive it is throughout the world.

And of course it must be bad faith for how could we acknowledge we are attracted to such a bad man a Carl Jung, and how could we acknowledge that we reify ourselves just for fun.

It's almost as though we don't know that we first reify those we wish to harm.

It's as though we can't recognise how damaged we are, and how much we damage others.

MBTI
    INTP

This is the perfect example of bad faith. It's almost as though we don't know where mbti came from and how extensive it is throughout the world.

And of course it must be bad faith for how could we acknowledge we are attracted to such a bad man a Carl Jung, and how could we acknowledge that we reify ourselves just for fun.

It's almost as though we don't know that we first reify those we wish to harm.

It's as though we can't recognise how damaged we are, and how much we damage others.
    Then you're the same as Dawkins! You gotta wonder what the guy expects. If he is so frustrated with stupid religious people, why does he keep talking to them? Tertiary temptation, baby.

What do you expect to discuss at a typology forum? If you're beyond this silly little system, move beyond it. That will be much better than staying within it and arguing with people trying to create your own army of converts.

That's the way things move. Change doesn't occur from within a system, an old way of thinking can only produce more of itself. Something arises from the outside and gradually everyone abandons ship.

All I know is I'm here to talk MBTI. I know exactly what you are trying to say, I acknowledge the truth in it, and I choose to continue talking about MBTI 'cause it's amusing and I feel like it. It's not as if I base my entire worldview on it.

Then you're the same as Dawkins! You gotta wonder what the guy expects. If he is so frustrated with stupid religious people, why does he keep talking to them? Tertiary temptation, baby.

What do you expect to discuss at a typology forum? If you're beyond this silly little system, move beyond it. That will be much better than staying within it and arguing with people trying to create your own army of converts.

That's the way things move. Change doesn't occur from within a system, an old way of thinking can only produce more of itself. Something arises from the outside and gradually everyone abandons ship.

All I know is I'm here to talk MBTI. I know exactly what you are trying to say, I acknowledge the truth in it, and I choose to continue talking about MBTI 'cause it's amusing and I feel like it. It's not as if I base my entire worldview on it.
    I am delighted you continue to talk about mbti, and I am delighted I continue to critique mbti. It's called freedom of speech.

MBTI
    INTP

I am delighted you continue to talk about mbti, and I am delighted I continue to critique mbti. It's called freedom of speech.
    Eh, I'm not buying it. Now you're bringing out the first amendment on me? I never said you couldn't say what you're saying. I'm just asking, does it make sense? You're not critiquing MBTI. That is done plenty here, as people analyze and sharpen their understanding of exactly what each cognitive process means and how it manifests in life. You're simply rejecting the whole system.

WALMART

Definite Te user. ExTJ.

You're simply rejecting the whole system.
    So what? What better place to reject the whole system?

If I am wrong, there are many devotees to point out where I am wrong.

Perhaps you like to preach to the converted, but I am in love with the unconverted.

And look, this site brings the unconverted to me every day.

Of course the possibility within the critique of mbti is its transcendence.