User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is Spock - INTP, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

7 21.88%
  • ISTJ

18 56.25%
  • INTJ

5 15.63%
  • ISTP

2 6.25%
123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default What type is Spock - INTP, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP?

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    LOL. In all seriousness, I peg Spock as more of an INTP than an INTJ. He's a Ti dom, not a Ni dom. He's just a 5w6 (which can be very "by the book" at times), not a 5w4. (In other words, I "get" Spock more than I probably should.)
    Star Trek Into Darkness

I would type Spock as an INTP 5w6 Sp/So, but I could also potentially see any of the 4 IxTx types, seeing all of the stoic solitary reasoning and obsessive logical analysis.

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Character Profile - Spock- UK
    Likes taradigrade liked this post

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Only half of Spock is typeable.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

^ Disagree. If we can type Jar-Jar Binks and Yoda (whatever the hell his species is), we can type Vulcans.

He really doesn't seem like a Ni dom to me at all. I suppose his tendencies to be more "by the book", at least in the newer movies, have some people place him as an INTJ, but I assure you, INTPs also have this tendency. 5w6s do, at the least.

I'd buy ISTJ before I'd buy INTJ. He doesn't seem to get those Ni hunches (which seems to be a good way of desribing Ni).
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENTP

Haha. I didn't say it can't or won't be done. Just that it can only mean so much. Spock is a black sheep to others on his planet. He broke out and did something not seen as "normal." So, seems to me, for that reason and others that contribute to his black sheep status, he's a giant extrovert if seen from the perspective of this his own species' standards.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Totally ISTJ. Too much of a stickler for rules and procedures to be anything except SJ, especially in Star Trek Into Darkness. And too structured and inflexible to be a P.

I could buy INTJ, maybe. But I don't see IxTP at ALL.

Edit: Not sure if I could buy INTJ either. I was just talking to @Coriolis about the INTJ emphasis on autonomy. Spock is way too much of a nag -- again, especially in Star Trek Into Darkness -- for me to think that he shared that value.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes bilbotook liked this post

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

@digesthisickness Good point. We can only come at it from the human perspective.

It should be noted that if you know the backstory of the Vulcans, they have not always been super logical. I suspect that much of the differences between Vulcans and humans in terms of personality is cultural, rather than biological in origin.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Totally ISTJ. Too much of a stickler for rules and procedures to be anything except SJ, especially in Star Trek Into Darkness. And too structured and inflexible to be a P.

I could buy INTJ, maybe. But I don't see IxTP at ALL.
    I haven't seen the latest movie, so I'm going by the original series and movies. It is a tough call between ISTJ and INTJ. Yes, we see his familiarity with rules and procedures, but the fact that he can cite them (or hold others to them) does not mean he follows them. We also must consider that whatever intuitions (Ni visions) he comes up with will be shared only after thorough vetting by Te. Spock often bails out the crew by coming up with an unorthodox bit of science or engineering. Just his choice of career goes against the conventions of his society. I wouldn't thing an SJ, especially a young SJ would do this. So, I would say he's INTJ, with ISTJ as the most likely alternative.

Regarding your edit and our discussion: as second in command, Spock very definitely gets to tell others what to do, so preserving personal autonomy will be secondary to his command role. Note however how firmly he supports things like the prime directive, and lets Kirk and McCoy (the two people he cannot really command) go their own way when his persuasion is inadequate, but remains prepared to bail them out if they fail.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP

Does he ever think "outside of the box"? Yes. Yes, he does. Except for during the time of Pon farr. In which time he's all about the box.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

My vote's for ISTJ. I just saw the most recent sequel, tho, so I may be relatively uninformed.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I haven't seen the latest movie, so I'm going by the original series and movies. It is a tough call between ISTJ and INTJ. Yes, we see his familiarity with rules and procedures, but the fact that he can cite them (or hold others to them) does not mean he follows them. We also must consider that whatever intuitions (Ni visions) he comes up with will be shared only after thorough vetting by Te. Spock often bails out the crew by coming up with an unorthodox bit of science or engineering. Just his choice of career goes against the conventions of his society. I wouldn't thing an SJ, especially a young SJ would do this. So, I would say he's INTJ, with ISTJ as the most likely alternative.

Regarding your edit and our discussion: as second in command, Spock very definitely gets to tell others what to do, so preserving personal autonomy will be secondary to his command role. Note however how firmly he supports things like the prime directive, and lets Kirk and McCoy (the two people he cannot really command) go their own way when his persuasion is inadequate, but remains prepared to bail them out if they fail.
    That makes a lot of sense. He may be more ISTJ in the most recent movie, and more INTJ in the Nimoy films and in TOS -- neither of which I remember all that well. (I was more of a TNG person.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    My vote's for ISTJ. I just saw the most recent sequel, tho, so I may be relatively uninformed.
    I'm in the same boat.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!