• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is Spock - INTP, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP?

What type is Spock - INTP, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP?

• Total voters

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"We shield it with ritual and customs shrouded in antiquity. You humans have no conception. It strips our minds from us. It brings a madness which rips away our veneer of civilisation. It is the pon farr. The time of mating. There are precedents in nature, Captain. The giant eelbirds of Regulus Five, once each eleven years they must return to the caverns where they hatched. On your Earth, the salmon. They must return to that one stream where they were born, to spawn or die in trying."

:rock:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In light of viewing the poll results and the comments in this thread, I see that there's a good chance Spock may indeed be an ISTJ, counter to my former expectations.

taradigrade

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
(I see that this is an old thread but I've stumbled on it so)
I actually associated Spock, TOS as least, with my own type a lot. Attempted a test from his perspective and got ISTJ. Interesting.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
To me, the process of going through the Kohlinar is to reinforce an ISTJ like state on an individual, this is what makes things difficult - feelings are repressed and the true personality is made less clear. You see moments in Spock which suggests he may not be ISTJ, especially the more mature Spock.

I'm disappointed that the poll doesn't let me vote for a Feeler type. Spock actually cares deeply for people whom he is close to, albeit very repressed and hidden behind logical explanations. The more mature Spock, despite retaining his characteristic Vulcan cool, is even more un-ISTJ.

"Spock's cold, but he's not that cold." - McCoy

taradigrade

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'd say he's on the fence in terms of T/F? I mean he's based in logic and it's his outer shell, but a lot of the series and movies are all about how he and Jim go to ridiculous lengths for each other based on emotion. I am new to MBTI but the differences between INTP and INFP, or INTJ and INFJ appear really drastic, and the ways in which they differ would have me say Spock is more T type. I'd agree with asscoiation between ISTJ and Kolinahr btw.
Can I ask what type you were thinking, not listed in the poll? In case it's relevant, haven't read this whole thread and am procrastinating other things rn so it's unlikely I will, and therefore I don't know what was raised already.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
ISTJ is too obvious. He perfectly fits the ISTJ stereotype, a living computer. His brain seems to function the way a computer does. He even talks like a computer.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm disappointed that the poll doesn't let me vote for a Feeler type. Spock actually cares deeply for people whom he is close to, albeit very repressed and hidden behind logical explanations. The more mature Spock, despite retaining his characteristic Vulcan cool, is even more un-ISTJ.

"Spock's cold, but he's not that cold." - McCoy

This doesn't make Spock a feeler. Perhaps he decided at one point that it was more logical to take his emotions into account.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see Spock as an INTP who has been raised to think and act like an ISTJ.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see Spock as an INTP who has been raised to think and act like an ISTJ.

That would explain why he decided to leave Vulcan and join the federation. He would find it chafing to stay within the confines of Vulcan society, adhere to Vulcan traditions, etc. An INTP would give that up in search of something new.

Spock also seems to have a sense of humor; I think he cracked a few jokes in Trouble with Tribbles, for instance.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say he's on the fence in terms of T/F? I mean he's based in logic and it's his outer shell, but a lot of the series and movies are all about how he and Jim go to ridiculous lengths for each other based on emotion. I am new to MBTI but the differences between INTP and INFP, or INTJ and INFJ appear really drastic, and the ways in which they differ would have me say Spock is more T type. I'd agree with asscoiation between ISTJ and Kolinahr btw.
Everyone uses both T and F, so to the extent that he is part human, so will Spock. The T/F in our type just indicates which we prefer. I associate kohlinar more with the stereotype of INTJs trying to act like robots and claim they have no emotions. (Not true, but could be a goal and possibly achievable in the aforementioned fantasy world process.)

Spock also seems to have a sense of humor; I think he cracked a few jokes in Trouble with Tribbles, for instance.
He certainly does, though it is very dry and therefore often overlooked or misunderstood by others. The nature of his humor reinforces why I have always seen Spock as INTJ, but then I am going primarily by TOS and ensuing movies (Leonard Nimoy portrayal) than the newer version(s).

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
This doesn't make Spock a feeler. Perhaps he decided at one point that it was more logical to take his emotions into account.

Possibly. It does seem unclear. It's a case of either his Feeling is underdeveloped or repressed. I think you can have Vulcan Feelers though, disguising it with logic (Valeris) or not (Sybok).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Everyone uses both T and F, so to the extent that he is part human, so will Spock. The T/F in our type just indicates which we prefer. I associate kohlinar more with the stereotype of INTJs trying to act like robots and claim they have no emotions. (Not true, but could be a goal and possibly achievable in the aforementioned fantasy world process.)

Yes. I'm remembering how Spock decided to back off from the process after V'Ger showed up. V'Ger was just a destructive child, as Spock pointed out. Again, I think Star Trek: The Motion Picture is underrated.

I don't think that Kohlinar would make Vulcans like V'Ger, but I'm not sure how Vulcans who undertake the process act.

White Raven

MBTI Type
INxP
I would say ISTJ. Or INTJ

I don't see how anyone could think of him as P. He's highly structured and organised and seems more of a J to me.

ygolo

My termites win
In the human world he's ISTJ, in the Vulcan he's ISTP :)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say ISTJ. Or INTJ

I don't see how anyone could think of him as P. He's highly structured and organised and seems more of a J to me.

Could be more reflective of his upbringing in a very structured, tradition-based culture

what [MENTION=825]ygolo[/MENTION] said

White Raven

MBTI Type
INxP
Yeah, I agree with ygolo. I never considered what type he'd be among the Vulcans, but I don't think we can actually classify Vulcans with OUR typing system...