User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is Spock - INTP, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

7 21.88%
  • ISTJ

18 56.25%
  • INTJ

5 15.63%
  • ISTP

2 6.25%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Whoops meant Spock was INTP in TOS not INTJ. My b.
    Yes.... he rejects things that are "highly illogical". That's an instant catch phrase for Introverted Thinking. And he has intense emotions underneath.

Data from TNG might be an INTJ, though. Less hostile to Feeling, so I can see it being a tertiary and not an inferior.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Yes.... he rejects things that are "highly illogical". That's an instant catch phrase for Introverted Thinking. And he has intense emotions underneath.

Data from TNG might be an INTJ, though. Less hostile to Feeling, so I can see it being a Tertiary and not an Inferior.
    I can dig it. Had no interest post TOS. Im thinking of getting into Battlestar.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Julia_Anne View Post
    I'd type him as an INTx 5w6. I think the J or the P comes from how he wants others to view him, and you could argue in circles about why he is one or the other. We'd have to see some more characterization coming straight from Spock before I'd be able to decide. But I do feel that he is an NT, and of course an introvert.
    This is my opinion as well. I think people are just saying ISTJ because he's very structured. He does in his old age from the movie I saw from 2009 seem a lot like Yoda, being all wise and solitary, detached and contemplative. Perhaps if we knew Yoda's type, we would also know Spock's type.

What Type is Yoda?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    This is my opinion as well. I think people are just saying ISTJ because he's very structured. He does in his old age from the movie I saw from 2009 seem a lot like Yoda, being all wise and solitary, detached and contemplative. Perhaps if we knew Yoda's type, we would also know Spock's type.

What Type is Yoda?
    Do you think ISTJs lack the capacity for irreverence?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Well, he seemed to go by logical measures and objective consequences more so than by precedents, sometimes even against the wishes of other people's orders.

Perhaps ISTPs can do the logical measures, and ISTJs the objective consequences, but Spock seemed to do both, whereas the IST it seems like does things more mainstream.

I have no freaking conclusion on this though. I'm completely open to arguments for any IxTx type.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I like ISTJs a great deal, but I'm not convinced this Spock is one. INTPs have Si, too. And some of us tend to embrace it, in addition to (or sometimes in place of) embracing intuition.

People have called me "by the book" too. I swear.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post

Data from TNG might be an INTJ, though. Less hostile to Feeling, so I can see it being a tertiary and not an inferior.
    I would switch these, with Data INTP and Spock INTJ, or perhaps ISTJ depending on the specific depiction. I have not seen the most recent movies, though, so my comments are based on TOS and the first 5 films for Spock. Data is probably less hostile to feeling because he doesn't experience it as Spock does.

Spock is much more irreverent in actions than words. He can cite reguations by chapter and verse, but will go against them when necessary to reach an objective. For (stereo)typical SJs, following the rules is almost an objective in and of itself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Spock is much more irreverent in actions than words. He can cite reguations by chapter and verse, but will go against them when necessary to reach an objective. For (stereo)typical SJs, following the rules is almost an objective in and of itself.
    Yeah. Abrams!Spock is a lot more rule-bound than he was in the TOS version, which plays interestingly. The second movie, for instance, has him demanding that Kirk et al leave him to die in an erupting volcano as beaming him out would violate the prime directive. Afterwards, Kirk ends up losing his position of captain of the Enterprise because where Kirk kinda glosses over the incident in his captain's log, Spock pretty much lays things out line and letter in a manner true to SJ form.

What's interesting is that through some plot twists, an older TOS!Spock inhabits the same universe as Abrams!Spock, and so you can see the distinction between the two. What's implied is that as Spock embraces his humanity with age, he takes on a more heuristic approach to law and logic that I think typifies the INT approach to such things.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I always thought that he was an INTJ, but I could buy ISTJ and I can't buy INTP. Ti users tend to have their own personal brand of logic. By contrast, the logic that Spock tends to go with seems to be more of a universal logical system which is more congruent with Te.
    +1 Whatever spock's type is he is definitely a Te user. He adamantly stays away from mentioning something even vaguely Ti ish. However due to his vast knowledge (Si) on almost anything he manages to win any counter arguments/options/decisions; with the exception of the doctor who transcends any point by dragging humanity into the arguments. I can vaguely remember a couple of instances where he dismissed Ti based logical interpretations by simply claiming them only to be assumptions. So I say he is clearly Te with a shit ton of knowledge. Regarding Ni vs Si; a method to identify Ni user is the sudden 'realization' of conclusions and ideas; based on Se observations. So usually NTJ conclusions are inductive as opposed to Si conclusions which are deductive. And their ideas are - to a certain extent adamant - realizations (Se sees and Ni filters based on what is needed) than options (Ne or Si). The exception to its realization of ni ideas is when Te quickly optionalizes the idea (not ideas) into segments. I believe spock clearly exhibits the latter when it comes to both conclusions and realizations.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Yeah. Abrams!Spock is a lot more rule-bound than he was in the TOS version, which plays interestingly. The second movie, for instance, has him demanding that Kirk et al leave him to die in an erupting volcano as beaming him out would violate the prime directive. Afterwards, Kirk ends up losing his position of captain of the Enterprise because where Kirk kinda glosses over the incident in his captain's log, Spock pretty much lays things out line and letter in a manner true to SJ form.
    I'm wondering if presenting outlines for processes is really that much related to rules, because after all, Spock just criticized what Kirk did in relation to what the supposed best course of action was, whereas the boss in the office (whoever that was) at the beginning of the movie was getting all angry and had strong impulses to punish Kirk by the letter of the law. To me, that actually seems more SJ.

What's interesting is that through some plot twists, an older TOS!Spock inhabits the same universe as Abrams!Spock, and so you can see the distinction between the two. What's implied is that as Spock embraces his humanity with age, he takes on a more heuristic approach to law and logic that I think typifies the INT approach to such things.
    This is exactly why I compared him to Yoda.