• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars VS Star Trek - Is Kirk Immune to The Force??

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay, so I was having a conversation with someone when they said the following. After reading it, I'd like your opinion on how right this person is, and if he's not right, how. As a huge fan of both, this is bugging me.

HIM: Here's another thought - in the Star Wars EU, anything that is not touched by the Force cannot be killed with a lightsaber (because in the EU lighsabers are only possible because of the Force) or "Force pushed' etc. So in a Star Wars vs Star Trek crossover, all the Jedi powers would be useless against Captain Kirk!

ME: Why not? Isn't the force "all around us" and therefore in everyone? Including the Kirk?

HIS FRIEND: Woah bro!! Just woah!!! You're taking this to a whole new level of nerd!

ME: No, wait, this is serious. Why not???

HIM: Because midi-cholrians only exist in the Star Wars galaxy. Anything outside the galaxy does not have them, so there is no Force power.

HIM: The Force works like magnetism, if an object is not magnetic, there is no connection.

ME: Hmmmm. I'm gonna have to get back with you on this.

S

Society

but if midi-cholrians exist in everything in the SW galaxy, and are pretty much overdosed in the Jedi themselves, wouldn't the Jedi coming into the star trek universe be bringing them with them, infecting everything around them and eventually spreading throughout the entire galaxy?

also, if the Jedi came to the ST galaxy, having had FTL travel a long time ago - and star trek being quite a while in the future (assuming leaving anywhere within the general timeframe of the movies), they would have arrived long before the federation came to be, so the plegue of midi-cholrians would already be underway by federation time.

it's sort of like the telekinetic-zombie apocalypse.

E

Epiphany

I would assume in these hypothetical situations that the universes are merged into one, like different stories in the same universe, unless particular laws of one directly contradict the other.

S

Society

I would assume in these hypothetical situations that the universes are merged into one, like different stories in the same universe, unless particular laws of one directly contradict the other.

i am pretty sure both have laws that contradict within themselves anyway, but i am going to leave that to the INTPs.

E

Epiphany

i am pretty sure both have laws that contradict within themselves anyway, but i am going to leave that to the INTPs.

Ha! Probably so. And I bet the diehards lose sleep ruminating over the absurdity of it all. The woes of being a geek are a heavy burden to bear.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I bet Google knows.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
but if midi-cholrians exist in everything in the SW galaxy, and are pretty much overdosed in the Jedi themselves, wouldn't the Jedi coming into the star trek universe be bringing them with them, infecting everything around them and eventually spreading throughout the entire galaxy?

also, if the Jedi came to the ST galaxy, having had FTL travel a long time ago - and star trek being quite a while in the future (assuming leaving anywhere within the general timeframe of the movies), they would have arrived long before the federation came to be, so the plegue of midi-cholrians would already be underway by federation time.

it's sort of like the telekinetic-zombie apocalypse.

They exist in everything in Star Wars but that doesn't necessarily mean they would eventually exist in Star Trek. What's there is there, always was/is. What evidence is there (I know this isn't real, OKAY?) that they spread like an infection?

S

Society

They exist in everything in Star Wars but that doesn't necessarily mean they would eventually exist in Star Trek. What's there is there, always was/is. What evidence is there (I know this isn't real, OKAY?) that they spread like an infection?

hmm, let's see.. from the SW wiki:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian
Midi-chlorians were intelligent microscopic life forms that lived symbiotically inside the cells of all living things. When present in sufficient numbers, they could allow their symbiont to detect the pervasive energy field known as the Force. Midi-chlorian counts were linked to potential in the Force, ranging from normal Human levels of 2,500 per cell to the much higher levels of Jedi. The highest known midi-chlorian count—over 20,000 per cell—belonged to the Jedi Anakin Skywalker, who was believed to have been conceived by the midi-chlorians.

also, i found this:
They also allowed for a connection with the pervasive energy field known as the Force;[4] in sufficient numbers, midi-chlorians could allow their symbiont organism to detect the Force, and this connection could be strengthened by quieting one's mind,[2] allowing the midi-chlorians to "speak" to their symbiont and communicate the will of the Force.
so the force itself isn't a result of midi-chlorians, it exists regardless, its just that their host needs them to be connected to the force. assuming the jedi come with their own mid-chlorian infected cells, it doesn't matter if the rest of the galaxy doesn't have any.

this is ofcourse, assuming that the force itself is universal, which is questionable:
"Well, the Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Force

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, so I was having a conversation with someone when they said the following. After reading it, I'd like your opinion on how right this person is, and if he's not right, how. As a huge fan of both, this is bugging me.

HIM: Here's another thought - in the Star Wars EU, anything that is not touched by the Force cannot be killed with a lightsaber (because in the EU lighsabers are only possible because of the Force) or "Force pushed' etc. So in a Star Wars vs Star Trek crossover, all the Jedi powers would be useless against Captain Kirk!

ME: Why not? Isn't the force "all around us" and therefore in everyone? Including the Kirk?

HIS FRIEND: Woah bro!! Just woah!!! You're taking this to a whole new level of nerd!

ME: No, wait, this is serious. Why not???

HIM: Because midi-cholrians only exist in the Star Wars galaxy. Anything outside the galaxy does not have them, so there is no Force power.

HIM: The Force works like magnetism, if an object is not magnetic, there is no connection.

ME: Hmmmm. I'm gonna have to get back with you on this.

Wrong forum.

S

Society

Wrong forum.

it's iffy (it is a pop culture but it is a sub section of the MBTI), but does it matter? after all, this is the back ally of typoC, tucked between two other sub forums competing for the "last thread posted in" spot... you can pretty much post here bare breasts and nobody is going to notice.

edit: star trek is Ti, star wars is Fi. happy now?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's iffy (it is a pop culture but it is a sub section of the MBTI), but does it matter? after all, this is the back ally of typoC, tucked between two other sub forums competing for the "last thread posted in" spot... you can pretty much post here bare breasts and nobody is going to notice.

edit: star trek is Ti, star wars is Fi. happy now?

No.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, if anything, at least this thread verifies I am not as much a geek as I feared.

I mean, really -- it's like asking whether the rules of Alice in Wonderland apply to the world of The Hunger Games and who would win in a fight. There either is no basis to even ask the question, or if you're bothering then you are assuming that both rulesets work equally in the merged world.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Mane's on the right track. The Force is essentially the energy in the universe itself. Energy is everywhere. Midis have the ability to actively tap into and contort that energy, and the humans feed off of that. Every universe has energy.

Even if the Jedi was thrust into another universe, and had to learn that the energy in one universe is vastly different from that of another, s/he would need only time to train to eventually get used to that energy. The questions lies on if particular kinds of energy were only accessible to midis or if they access any energy around them. Considering they're so damn smart, a more powerful Jedi could still adapt I think. It is reasonable to assume that.

Captain Kirk is still human. He has the advantage of knowing his universe better than any Jedi coming into it, being fully mission and battle capable even if he were transferred into Jedi territory with no adjustment period, and the elements of surprise having technology vastly out weighing what the Jedi are used to seeing like teleportation. The Jedi in an early fight would be confused and distorted from this universe, and Kirk has a great chance of winning.

... However, the longer the Jedi remains, the more he will become in tune with the energy of that universe, and the more access he will have to his powers. These are trained fighters and warriors despite their light saber. Time is on the side of the Jedi vs Kirk.

S

Society

Mane's on the right track. The Force is essentially the energy in the universe itself.

but obi-won explicitly says the force is the energy that binds the galaxy - that galaxy which we also know happens to be far far away. we don't actually know if its the energy of the universe itself, all we know is that it's a force which is part of the nature of their galaxy. so what if it's like what happens to Storm from the x-men whenever she leaves earth?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
but obi-won explicitly says the force is the energy that binds the galaxy - that galaxy which we also know happens to be far far away. we don't actually know if its the energy of the universe itself, all we know is that it's a force which is part of the nature of their galaxy. so what if it's like what happens to Storm from the x-men whenever she leaves earth?

The energy that binds their galaxy.. but we have no reason to believe that their galaxy is not motivated by the same things our own is--principles like gravity (and presumably space principles despite old-school writing) and energy conservation seem to still exist and no one has given any doubt of otherwise. Technically, we can create light sabers now-a-days, but we cannot create a 'sword'.. the beam continues forever and ever. The force allows the saber part to exist.

What I was debating was if there is an underlying specific type of energy in their galaxy unique only to them vs our own... or if energy really is something that they can tap into, the same way X-men tap into it at will. I have been given no reason to doubt that their galaxy is much different from our own in terms of energy principles, the formation of their galaxy and what holds it together, etc.

W

WALMART

Even if it didn't, Jedi are trained in matters well beyond the scope of anything Kirk has imagined.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Even if it didn't, Jedi are trained in matters well beyond the scope of anything Kirk has imagined.

True, but Jedi are also bound by human(oid) weaknesses the same as Kirk. It is arguably the Force and their ability to tap into it that sets them a part as warriors. And, as close to it as they are, we cannot discount the mental/cultural shock they would go into from their potential inability to tap in the force at all. For it to not exist--I would argue it would be like one's hand being cut off. Learning to fight without it at your side would take considerable time, and training, that most of their lifestyle has spent with the Force being there.

The mental tenacity they are given in their training, to not ALWAYS rely on the force like a catering tool and instead for it to be a well-developed extension of the self, would mean they would pull through.. but in Trek territory, the Jedi would immediately be at a disadvantage.

W

WALMART

True, but Jedi are also bound by human(oid) weaknesses the same as Kirk. It is arguably the Force and their ability to tap into it that sets them a part as warriors. And, as close to it as they are, we cannot discount the mental/cultural shock they would go into from their potential inability to tap in the force at all. For it to not exist--I would argue it would be like one's hand being cut off. Learning to fight without it at your side would take considerable time, and training, that most of their lifestyle has spent with the Force being there.

The mental tenacity they are given in their training, to not ALWAYS rely on the force like a catering tool and instead for it to be a well-developed extension of the self, would mean they would pull through.. but in Trek territory, the Jedi would immediately be at a disadvantage.

Good point. I'd like to say they train without using the force, with vibroblades perhaps, but how do you simply "turn off" such an inherent part of their nature? Maybe they have a way, like someone here may train doing something blindfolded. I imagine the Jedi Order having such insight.

Though in my experience with crossover battles, you always presume characters have access to their strongest features - people like using Master Chief from Halo, and it's usually implied he has access to MJOLNIR. Same with Kratos, it is just implied he has his chain blades. A Jedi without the force or a lightsaber, he's nothing more than a finely trained spec ops soldier.

You could say Kirk has access to the USS Enterprise, but we all know what happened to the Death Star...

S

Society

The energy that binds their galaxy.. but we have no reason to believe that their galaxy is not motivated by the same things our own is--principles like gravity (and presumably space principles despite old-school writing) and energy conservation seem to still exist and no one has given any doubt of otherwise.

hmm, but once you have FTL in the world without any space-warping involved, meaning your ship is actually moving itself faster then light speed (not folding space or wormholes or any kind of shortcut), aren't you sort of break the law of energy conservation? you've used the whole energy of the universe to accelerate... and then again to stop.. so the universe is sort of like in debt of one universe's energy (presumably to another universe-loanshark).

W

WALMART

hmm, but once you have FTL in the world without any space-warping involved, meaning your ship is actually moving itself faster then light speed (not folding space or wormholes or any kind of shortcut), aren't you sort of break the law of energy conservation? you've used the whole energy of the universe to accelerate... and then again to stop.. so the universe is sort of like in debt of one universe's energy (presumably to another universe-loanshark).

This just proves the technological knowledge in Star Wars is greater than that in Star Trek. The Hutts are very pervasive.