User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by Felix5 View Post
    Why are we always portrayed as villains! We can never be the hero, we're always the villain. It's almost degrading. Or we're that loathsome character that no one can stand.

Do people really hate us that much?

And Mr Darcy? And Howard Roark? Aren't they a great characters?

I'd definitely say Mycroft is an INTP.

Sherlock is better at making judgements, whereas Mycroft is much more thorough about the details.
    I can't see Mycroft as a person caring about details, he is concentrated on the outcome.

This is exactly what INTJs do. Not all of us are 6s, some of us are 5w4. INTJs are obsessed with patterns and connecting them and contextualizing them. This is what I'm constantly doing all day long.
    That actually sounds more Ti than Te to me .

Also he is more process oriented. It’s solving the puzzle that matters, helping someone is additional benefit. And he keeps repeating Watson to look at the problem from different perspective and then they will understand it. That all sounds more INTP than INTJ. I think that INTJ would be concentrated on the solution of the problem and not process of solving it. I think Te is more organized, more basing on deduction, where Ti is basing on deduction and induction. But the last one is my own theory
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

MBTI
    INFP

The way I see it, all Sherlocks are INTP and all Watsons are ISFJ. Though I don't watch Elementary, so I wouldn't know about their types.
    "You get killed... walk it off."- Captain America

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ None

And Mr Darcy? And Howard Roark? Aren't they a great characters?
    Howard Roark? Gee how iconic, they'll be pasting him on lunch boxes!

Two characters that aren't villains...I mean think about it...we've got Hannibal Lector, the killer from Saw, and Mr Burns. We suck.

And Mr Darcy is kind of portrayed as a snob in the first part of Pride and Prejudice. So even our heroes can't be portrayed honestly.

If we aren't villains, we're weirdos or misinterpreted as rude. I have never had anyone come up to me and tell me that. I actually get the opposite. Most people think I'm polite and courteous.

I can't see Mycroft as a person caring about details, he is concentrated on the outcome.
    INTPs are extremely immersed in the details but that doesn't mean they don't care about the outcome. Same thing with INTJs, we are incredibly immersed in the outcome, but we do care about the details. Sometimes, we can become completely obsessed with them to the exclusion of other activities. Whenever I do research, I make sure that I understand every detail I can before I even start to write the paper. The more you know, the better you can contextualize what you're writing. I think well developed INTJs understand this or will understand it eventually over time.

That actually sounds more Ti than Te to me .

Also he is more process oriented. It’s solving the puzzle that matters, helping someone is additional benefit.
    I hate puzzles and have never had any interest in them, I don't know any INTJ that enjoys the abstract process of "Puzzle solving" or "Logic problems." My least favorite part of math class was word problems. I don't even believe that this is what Sherlock Holmes is doing. I think people who read it are misinterpreting the character. I mean the whole reason he's trying to understand the situation is because he wants to know what's going on, how it happened, who it was. It's not like he stumbled upon a crime scene and became fascinated by the bits of cloth, gunpowder, and wreckage. An INTP would be more interested in these things, present their scientific data, and allow someone else to make a conclusion.

And he keeps repeating Watson to look at the problem from different perspective and then they will understand it.
    This sounds more like an INTJ thing to me, most people don't really understand how we come to the conclusions we do. It's almost like "magical thinking" to some people. I am constantly trying to explain things from different angles in order to get people to understand what exactly I'm talking about. Or to simply understand my perspective, or see things differently. The INTPs I've met wouldn't even bother to explain the details to someone who didn't understand. They would just go about their day.

That all sounds more INTP than INTJ.
    I respectfully disagree

I think that INTJ would be concentrated on the solution of the problem and not process of solving it.
    It depends on how immersed the INTJ is in the subject. I am obsessed with the details and the process so that I can come conclusion. Holmes is absolutely fixated on getting to the bottom of the problem. The whole point is the conclusion that Holmes is trying to piece together. Holmes is interested in the process because it is a means to an end. He takes in details and contextualizes them in the same way an INTJ would.

I think Te is more organized, more basing on deduction, where Ti is basing on deduction and induction. But the last one is my own theory
    I don't believe what Holmes is doing is outside what any Te would do, plus Ti is a shadow function. He focuses on details because he wants to understand something bigger. I do this all the time when I'm researching history or music or anything else I wish to understand. My thought process is like a web that eventually all connects together into a larger thing.

An INTP focuses on details for the sake of understanding details, but if you've ever read the stories, it's obvious that Holmes is interested in something more than just details. When you read the stories ask yourself this question: Why is he solving this problem?

He happens to be highly educated and I think he comes off as a fairly well developed INTJ. I can see how some people would confuse them with an INTP.

One thing that leads me to believe that he's not an INTP, is his obsession with coming to conclusions.

Sorry @Felix5 I didn’t know that you quoted me.

I guess we can agree that we disagree about Sherlock. The world were people would agree about everything would be quite boring.

I wanted to show you that you exaggerate. There are a lot of INTJ villains, but this is not true when you say that there are no heroes. I gave you as examples my favourites.Maybe there are no lunch boxes with Howard Roark ( too bad, I would buy one) but novels of Ayn Rand are actually INTJ traits adoration so I believe it’s a good example. Btw it's ironic that Roark is architect by profession.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

MBTI
    INTP

Elementary Sherlock is Uber INTP.... the social rule deal could also be applied to BBC Sherlock. That Sherlock is most definitely an INTP in my humble analysis. He definitely doesn't seem to have Si as a fourth function, rather a third, so support his Ti-Ne theories. He does however have quite raw emotions, weak Fe it seems.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Elementary (2012 and onwards):
    Though this Holmes (Jonny Lee Miller) probably comes closest to A.C. Doyle's canon character, he is apparently an ENTP instead of INTP - this because he is outgoing and aggressive in his pursuit of answers to the riddles he is presented with. Unlike the other Holmes versions, this one is fully aware of the social standards he is expected to follow; he simply ignores them and takes plesure in doing so. His female Watson (Lucy Liu) is an ENFJ - a sober companion with a strong desire to help former drug addicts get their life back. Thomas Gregson (Aidan Quinn), Holmes' contact in the NYPD, seems to me a stereotypical ESTJ - rule-following and strict. Detective Marcus Bell (Jon Michael Hill) is most likely an ESFP, with a fairly pleasant attitude and a down-to-earth view that often conflicts with that of Holmes'. Sebastian Moran shows up in this series as well, though only for one episode - still, long enough for me to peg him as an ISTP once again.
    For Elementary:

Holmes: INTJ
    Watson: ISFJ
    Gregson: ESTJ
    Bell: ISTJ
    Mycroft: ENFJ
    Moriatti: INTJ

No Ps in this show.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Elementarys Moriarty is clearly ENTJ.

I don't get why people think the BCC Mycroft is introverted. He is not at all. He is exclusively focused on the outside world, serving his country and doing whatever the fuck he actualkly does, leaving the pondering and solving of complex puzzles to his less talented (yea) brother. So his mind is clearly way more broadly orientated than Sherlock. Which is what cognitive extroversion means.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think that the Sherlock in the Brett TV series is INTP. It seemed as though he was ENTP when I first watched it, however, after watching more episodes it occurred to me that the way the show was made was intended to look as though it were done on stage (as in a play). Because of this, Sherlock does appear to be ENTP, but his manner and the way he does his work suggests to me INTP.

Also, everyone seems to forget the original movie version of Sherlock from the early 1900's.