• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing the New Battlestar Galactica

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Cylon typings are interesting. I don't really know how to go with some of them, simply because Six and Eight especially seem to be split. Are Athena/Boomer same type? Those two completely diverged. Same with "real" Six vs Baltar's "imaginary" [still not sure what's up with that, but hope to find out] Six. Baltar's Six does seem INTJ, while real world Six seems like a head over heels NFP. Very bizarre.

When it came to them, I went more with early impressions.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
SPOILERZ

I finished last night, and was pretty disappointed. Honestly, it feels as though the series was incredible for 75 episodes, and the last just completely sunk my attitude. The last episode introduces too much confusion [teehee] for a respectable conclusion to such a tremendous series. First of all, no satisfactory explanation to Starbuck's resurrection and disappearance, but that is minor compared to the clusterfuck of inconsistency that emerges from humanity's decision to go back to basics and mingle with the humanoids they found on earth. I can barely stretch my bullshit threshold enough to accept coincident humanoid evolution across millions of light years [this absurdly implies homo sapiens is the inevitable evolutionary track for life given a certain environment] and they satisfy the astronomical chances of such an occurence to divine will :/ , but I can't make the leap to think EVERY human is okay with completely abandoning their technology, culture, ways of life to go back to shitting in huts for 150000 years. No written word, no art, no metallurgy, no agriculture [although Gaius wants to farm, TOO BAD HE CAN'T DO THAT FOR 140000 YEARS OR HE MESSES UP THE ANTHROPOLOGICAL TIMELINE]. The idea that 40000 or so humans would be able to forget their cultural knowledge to the degree that NOBODY tries to resurrect the old ways of their lives is incredibly insulting. By tying the series into our real universal narrative, they de-legitimized their own. Just terrible.

Although I was happy Helo and Athena had a happy ending. What can I say, I'm a huge sap.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
AHAHAHAHAAHA!

You reflect most people's complaints about the ending.

If you chose to only look at it from an emotional standpoint, then it's satisfying. If you try to bring logic into it you'll drive yourself crazy. Cavil had the best idea, in the end.

V

violaine

Oh my gods, we are several years late but me and mine just made it to the end of Season Three. Yeaaaarrrgggh, so good. (Watching shows marathon style ftw.)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh my gods, we are several years late but me and mine just made it to the end of Season Three. Yeaaaarrrgggh, so good. (Watching shows marathon style ftw.)

That's the WRONG way to watch shows! You have to suffer week to week! :wink:

V

violaine

^And forego the chance to sacrifice my health and vitality in a week long binge? Neverrrr! (I am so glad I didn't have to watch week to week, I'd have been going crazy, it's that good.)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^And forego the chance to sacrifice my health and vitality in a week long binge? Neverrrr! (I am so glad I didn't have to watch week to week, I'd have been going crazy, it's that good.)

That's what makes it so much fun!

Plus you get to geek out online with the other fans.

KDude

Still finishing this up..

Admiral Adama - ISTJ
Roslin - ENFJ
Apollo - I don't know..
Baltar - ENTP
Caprica 6 - ESFP
Starbuck - ESTP
Tom Zarek - ESFP
Admiral Cain - ENTJ
Tigh - ISTP..whatever. He's drunk.

Helo has to be one of the dumbest characters I've seen.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Admiral Adama - ESTJ
Roslin - ENFJ
Apollo - INFj
Baltar - ENTP
Gaeta - INTj
Doctor - ENTj
Caprica 6 - ESFP
Starbuck - ISTP
Tom Zarek - ESTp
Athena - ISFp
Admiral Cain - ESTJ
Tigh - ISTj
Anders - ENFj
Helo - ESTJ
Tyrol - ESFj

[MENTION=12106]Jack[/MENTION]: I think starbuck's rez is supposed to be abstract you don't know if she's an "angel" like bal/6, avatar of divine will, or just having been dead the whole series and placed divinely until memory is "activated" ironically like the cylons. The idea is that any human may contain these dual (or more) identities. It is like the end of inception. Does the top fall? The idea is not to come to a conclusion, but rather in the tension of not knowing one must reflect and incorporate the possibility that any of these may be actual.

KDude

Starbuck - ISTP

I thought she was close, but she seems to fall back on Se more often.

Zarek is very value/conviction based in his reasoning, I think. Kind of a pushy humanitarian. And no matter how much others try to make him seem cuttthroat or cold, he's got a kind of understated charm and warmth about him.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see zarek as an opportunist who only pretends to hold certain ideals to try and seize power. I think starbuck has the classic istp female vulnerability because of mistreatment thing going on. Thus the on off with lee, because he genuinely cares about her and makes her feel safe, but he cannot "handle" her because he can't heal her past (no one can). He seeks her out because she is his tie to his brother, and because I think she represents Adama to him.

KDude

I see zarek as an opportunist who only pretends to hold certain ideals to try and seize power. I think starbuck has the classic istp female vulnerability because of mistreatment thing going on. Thus the on off with lee, because he genuinely cares about her and makes her feel safe, but he cannot "handle" her because he can't heal her past (no one can). He seeks her out because she is his tie to his brother, and because I think she represents Adama to him.

Fair enough. I haven't gotten into the mistreatment stuff yet.. there's been one episode of that.

To me Zarek is "sincere" in his thinking. The opportunism and fixation with power is Se, but his ideals are real and pretty naive..but not fake. He's a good guy who looks like a bad guy.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Fair enough. I haven't gotten into the mistreatment stuff yet.. there's been one episode of that.

To me Zarek is "sincere" in his thinking. The opportunism and fixation with power is Se, but his ideals are real and pretty naive..but not fake. He's a good guy who looks like a bad guy.

How far are you into the series? Honestly the ideals seem like a facade. He is not afraid to get his hands dirty.

KDude

How far are you into the series? Honestly the ideals seem like a facade. He is not afraid to get his hands dirty.

Just started season 3. After New Caprica. He's fucked up so far, but seems kind of humbled now. He doesn't even want to be President.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
At the same time, I do see what kdude is saying. Zarek has an aspect to him similar to a julian asange type "liberty! Freedom!" I think that is indicative of Ti though not Fi

KDude

Finished it up. Yeah, I still think Zarek is ESFP. INTJ for Gaeta makes sense. Two peas in a pod. That whole rebellion at the end revolved around their shared Fi values about the alliance with Cylons. Neither one could be convinced to rationalize situationally, and see compromise as any option. They blew it up into some deep moral issue, like humanity was at stake. And when it failed, they seemed kind of OK with the consequences, with dying. Sounds pretty sincere to me.