• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fight Club

redacted

all of the rationalle for tyler being P makes no sense to me. he seems like a completely clear Te dom. Ni over Si -- he's a visionary.

tyler's spontaneity was all within a well defined path of how he wanted things to be. definitely an introverted perceiver.

main character is an IFJ. his feeling is extroverted (based on external standards). i'd lean towards INFJ because his narration is layered and conceptual.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Lol ^10 at this thread.

Perhaps when I am in a more tenacious mood I'll rip all of your (incorrect) assessments and theories to shreds!!

:smooch:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just saw this movie for the first time the other day, and my impression was this as well (yes, I was actually thinking about it during the movie :doh:)
Narrator: IStJ
Tyler-persona: ESTP (with a little ENTP thrown in). I wouldn't say ENTJ just because his general plans were all of the create-chaos variety and seemed rather spontaneous rather than ... planned.
Not sure about Marla being INFP, I could see ISFP or ENFP, but that does seem most likely.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tyler Durden: ENTP, with good Se, so he's almost ESTP, and he've a well developped tertiary function Fe who gift him some ENFJ caracteristics (he's a guru).
Tyler is a visionnary, he's always interprating the world around him, extroverted intuition is his dominant function, he know how use logicals way to acomplish his visions, Ti is his auxillary function. He've a good Se too, good with technicals tasks and spectacular at the bed.
Finally, Si is his inferior function, he've a great capacity to ignore that is without importance, dream to destroy the norms, don't care about procedures and live in delabrated house.

The main character: Typicall ISFJ in a bad mood, Tyler is a manifestation of his inferior function Ne.

Marla: Introverted feeler and intuitive, she's INFP

Bob: ESFP

The main character's boss: ISTJ

Angel Face (Jared Leto): ISTP

Lou: ESTJ

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Pitt's character is certainly ESTP.

I don't know about Norton's, maybe the ISFJ-sayers have something, but I see INFP tendencies too...And INTP.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've thought about it some more, and I'm leaning towards the main character being ISFJ.

(I read the end not too, and the author did make himself sound like a real ass.)

The message of fight club: don't bother actually making a difference by blowing the whistle on your boss, just fantacize about being a one dimensional macho man and dedicate your life to vandalism.

OR

Fighting is thereputic, because it makes the narrator stop making fun of your man-boobs

OR

Materialistic apathy is a result of not being true to your gender role. If only Jack was jerking off in the bathroom instead of reading that stupid Ikea catalog, his life would automatically be better.

OR

Stop being a slave to the man and embrace your freedom to do what Tyler Durden says.

But that's what the main character rejects at the end, by taking control back from Tyler- rejecting Tyler's message.

My interpretation: I guess it's sort of an id vs. superego thing. In the beginning the main character is miserable because he's a slave to societal constructs. Tyler instead seeks base pleasures in a rather anarchic (and self-destructive) way and thinks everyone would be happier in that sort of world. I'd say the message is that there's a path between the two approaches he has to forge- one he can start to understand by getting real human connections (what he was seeking in the first place).

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
I think Brad Pitt was a definite P, most surely EXTP, possibly ESTP.

As to the main chracter, I'd say INFJ... maybe? He just doesn't seem to be an S to me, so I have no idea.

Oh, and Marla, haha, she surely seemed INFP, she was crazy.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, I've wrote Tyler is an ENTP with good Se but after reflection, he's rather an ESTP with good Ne. But above all, we all agree to say Tyler is ExTP.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wher do you see the J with Tyler? Se seems to be one of the favourite function of him, not simply a tertiary function wich he would have well mastered.

redacted

Wher do you see the J with Tyler? Se seems to be one of the favourite function of him, not simply a tertiary function wich he would have well mastered.

His plans for Project Mayhem and stuff. He seems like a Te dominant. Rules of Fight Club, rules of Project Mayhem, delegating, etc.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Tyler is an ESTP

Norton is an ESTP trying (and failing) to live like an IS_J

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
His plans for Project Mayhem and stuff. He seems like a Te dominant. Rules of Fight Club, rules of Project Mayhem, delegating, etc.
Finally someone gets it. :solidarity:

There's more though -- He appears to be more Ni than Se. He loves kicking ass, yes, but the whole enterprise of Project Mayhem, and by extension the Fight Club, was designed to fulfill an idealized vision of destroying civilization and restoring humanity to an anarcho-primitivist state. The only way Durden could possibly be considered an SP is if he were an ESFP and Project Mayhem was an Fi product -- but that's a stretch to say the very least.

In short, Speed Gavroche fails at typology, as usual.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You did'nt understand the movie.

There's nothing idealistic in Tyler's Project Mayhem. He essentially did that for lulz.
The rest is just due to Norton's need to feel power toward his alter ego. Tyler is not strict, academic and obssesed with competence like NTJ are. He's going with the flow, always more or less homeless, act and learn in a step-by-step appraoch by getting his hands dirty. Rules of the Fight Club are not stictly controlled and actually just guidelines for behavior rather than mandates: ESTP. Also, I know tons of ESTPs who are like Tyler Durden, but you will not meet an ENTJ who is like that. Just show me one ENTJ who left college befor the PHD to make soap with his hands and live in a ramshackle house and we'll talk again.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's nothing idealistic in Tyler's Project Mayhem. He essentially did that for lulz.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What makes you think that's the case, other than the fact you want Durden in your own quadrant?

The rest is just due to Norton's need to feel power toward his alter ego. Tyler is not strict, academic and obssesed with competence like NTJ are. He's going with the flow, always more or less homeless, act and learn in a step-by-step appraoch by getting his hands dirty.
He is an ENTJ 7. An ethically chaotic character who desires to live in an animalistic fashion and wants all of humanity to do as much, due to an insane Ni vision that it would be a better state than civilization.

Rules of the Fight Club are not stictly controlled and actually just guidelines for behavior rather than mandates: ESTP.
They are strictly controlled. Tyler gets pissed about people breaking rules 1 and 2.

Also, I know tons of ESTPs who are like Tyler Durden, but you will not meet an ENTJ who is like that. Just show me one ENTJ who left college befor the PHD to make soap with his hands and live in a ramshackle house and we'll talk again.
And we go back to the point about Tyler being an Ni-driven agent of chaos -- an ENTJ with Enneagram-Seven core motivations. He didn't leave college due to burnout or laziness. He left college because he felt disdainful of civilization in general -- not unlike the sentiments expressed by the ENTJ George Carlin in the second-to-last chapter of his autobiography.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
man, aleksi sucks at typing.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
man, aleksi sucks at typing.

His typing seems correct here for the most part. Unlike most of the other members in this thread, he didn't simply just list an arbitrary type with no reasoning behin it. And unlike a few others, his reasons for typing Tyler Durden ENTJ are completely legit. In fact, this could be said for most of his typings of fictional characters.

Want to see something funny?

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37478&p=1404820&viewfull=1#post1404820

When you are done reading that post, look to the left at the type in his profile.
So much for his thoughts about Ne . . .

;)

Your reasoning here is fallacious. Yes, Aleksei had some trouble concerning his own type, but that doesn't mean that he is incapable of typing others; remember what he said in that thread about 1. Knowing the system, and 2, Knowing oneself? Perhaps he may have trouble with self typing, but every typing that he has made of someone else (whether fictional, historical, or some forum member) has always been backed up with clear reasoning, something of which I have yet to see anyone else accomplish (safe myself sometimes and a few possible others).

Or it could just be that JCF doesn't exist, so it's entirely possible to relate to multiple functions, and no I don't buy into the bullshit false dichotomy reasoning of 'omgz the functions are defined different so it's impossible to be Te+Ti, etc. 11111'.