`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Has anyone read the book?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Has anyone read the book?
    I did, yeah. I think the book characters are portrayed very similarly to the movie characters, but I did watch the movie first, so that may have colored my view.

That said, I would say that Durden = ENTJ, the main character = ISFJ, and Marla = ISTP.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

How would you type Chuck Palahniuk?
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

How would you type Chuck Palahniuk?
    You know, I'm not sure. I read part of the personal bit which he wrote at the end, and to me, he sounded like a real douchebag. ESTP, maybe?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    You know, I'm not sure. I read part of the personal bit which he wrote at the end, and to me, he sounded like a real douchebag. ESTP, maybe?
    Huh?

"I read part of the personal bit which he wrote at the end, and to me, he sounded like a real douchebag"

I don't get what you mean by that.

How many books of his have you read?
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Huh?

"I read part of the personal bit which he wrote at the end, and to me, he sounded like a real douchebag"

I don't get what you mean by that.

How many books of his have you read?
    Maybe we have different versions of the book. On mine, there was this section at the end which he wrote that was, I think (I read it a while ago) about how the book was developed over time. I can't remember exactly why I disliked it, and I seem to have lost the book, so I can't go back to reread.

And Fight Club is the only book I've read of his.

MBTI
    ENTP

The message of fight club: don't bother actually making a difference by blowing the whistle on your boss, just fantacize about being a one dimensional macho man and dedicate your life to vandalism.

OR

Fighting is thereputic, because it makes the narrator stop making fun of your man-boobs

OR

Materialistic apathy is a result of not being true to your gender role. If only Jack was jerking off in the bathroom instead of reading that stupid Ikea catalog, his life would automatically be better.

OR

Stop being a slave to the man and embrace your freedom to do what Tyler Durden says.

Yeah, I didn't think much of fight club.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    The message of fight club: don't bother actually making a difference by blowing the whistle on your boss, just fantacize about being a one dimensional macho man and dedicate your life to vandalism.

OR

Fighting is thereputic, because it makes the narrator stop making fun of your man-boobs

OR

Materialistic apathy is a result of not being true to your gender role. If only Jack was jerking off in the bathroom instead of reading that stupid Ikea catalog, his life would automatically be better.

OR

Stop being a slave to the man and embrace your freedom to do what Tyler Durden says.

Yeah, I didn't think much of fight club.
    I think you have to really go out of your way to read some of those messages into the movie/book.

Then again, in the time you've been on this forum, I've found you to be a master of getting righteously offended by everything.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think you have to really go out of your way to read some of those messages into the movie/book.

Then again, in the time you've been on this forum, I've found you to be a master of getting righteously offended by everything.
    rightiously offended my ass. I've always had that opinion. It's just an opinion, honestly, you must read at least one of those things I mentioned. So what do you think the messages in the movie were? (a much more interesting discussion). The thing is, I'm getting fairly stupid messages from the movie, and thinking "I've heard better stuff from bums"- and it's not like I get that impression on purpose or anything. What I mentioned is what the movie seems to be saying. If the movie has some other, hidden message, that's much less moronic, I would love to have to hear about it.

It's just my way of saying "blah" to the main topic. Tyler Durder, is he an extraverted thinking type or an extraverted sensing type? Whoop dee doo anyway, it's a stupid movie.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I've seen the movie lots and read the book once. I remember them being quite similar, the main difference in my mind being that I got a greater sense of the narrator and Tyler having a connection (as friends) and that Tyler originally made the soap from Marla's mom's saved-liposuctioned-butt-fat stash for future lip injections for Marla. What I like best is that I think it captures well a feeling of unrest and destructive tendency in lonely people.

Narrator: IStJ
    Tyler-persona: ESTP (with a little ENTP thrown in). I wouldn't say ENTJ just because his general plans were all of the create-chaos variety and seemed rather spontaneous rather than ... planned.
    Marla: INFP