User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 31

  1. #11
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    So Beethoven's alleged coldness was a result of his personality being INTJ? Come on. The circularity of typology comes around again.

  2. #12
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    There was no intended emphasis on him being cold. It was merely a reference point. Obviously INTJs can be warm, affectionate and vice-versa for INFJ. But Fi seems to suit him more IMO. If you can see INFJ (or some other type), then by all means, lay down your argument.

  3. #13
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    There was no intended emphasis on him being cold. It was merely a reference point. Obviously INTJs can be warm, affectionate and vice-versa for INFJ. But Fi seems to suit him more IMO. If you can see INFJ (or some other type), then by all means, lay down your argument.
    No, I see Fi, too (judging from the music), but I wouldn't settle on INTJ because of misanthropy.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  4. #14
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    There was no intended emphasis on him being cold. It was merely a reference point. Obviously INTJs can be warm, affectionate and vice-versa for INFJ. But Fi seems to suit him more IMO. If you can see INFJ (or some other type), then by all means, lay down your argument.
    No, I see Fi, too (judging from the music), but I wouldn't settle on INTJ because of misanthropy.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  5. #15
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Bach: INTP
    Mozart: ESFP
    Beethoven: INTJ

    No reasoning, because.

  6. #16
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Bach: INTP
    Mozart: ESFP
    Beethoven: INTJ

    No reasoning, because.
    Reason isn't required in typology.lol

  7. #17
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Reason isn't required in typology.lol
    My reasoning could only consist in descriptions of certain character traits of the person in question. The four letters do just that, only more squishy.

  8. #18
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    My reasoning could only consist in descriptions of certain character traits of the person in question. The four letters do just that, only more squishy.
    Sure. That's true of typing any person you have never met, and frankly, typing anyone. It's all guess work and imprecision. Typology...party trick!

  9. #19
    Senior Member Emotionalogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Bach: INTP 9w1 I don't know much about his life, but his mastery of counterpoint and craftsmanship suggest t-dom. Counterpoint requires entertaining multiple melodies at once (ne works), and he was a traditionalist (si). He had a big family, which suggests fe.

    Mozart: ESTP 3w4 I see se in his hedonism, aestheticism, and focus on the present. He was ti-fe; he produced all his music from his head fully formed, never amending or correcting (ti), and he was social and emotionally open (fe).

    Beethoven: INTJ 4w5 A really obvious fi-te; he had no regard for politeness, social standards, or the feelings of others, but he had a very rich inner world of emotion (fi). Unlike Mozart, he would constantly rework his scores until he had them just right (te, implied xxxj). Like House, his inferior se can make him look like a perceiver; he was definitely a slob. But he was also directive, driven, arrogant, single-minded, selfish, uncompromising and controlling. He was an introvert who preferred to focus on his private work rather than form social connections. And he was a Ni user with a strong appreciation for metaphor and archetype (fate knocking at the door...). Of the three big composers, he was the only major innovator (ushering in the romantic movement), and he was certainly ahead of his time. It makes strong intuitive sense for Bach to be a t-dom, Mozart to be an s-dom, and Beethoven to be an n-dom. And I see little ne, he was single-minded and obsessive. INTJ 4s are rare, which is why he's often typed as a fi-dom. Not every tortured artist is fp.

  10. #20
    AKA Nunki Polaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    I think the question of whether Bach (the best music composer ever and my adopted grandfather) was more of a Te type or a Ti type is highly debatable. His music is procedural and rule-based, and much of it is structured using external templates and principles. On the other hand, he had an exceptional talent for drawing out the contrapuntal potential in a melodic passage, and seems to have done so partly as a hobby, judging by the fact that some of his most exemplary work in that regard had little financial potential.

    We do have a little bit of information about Bach outside of his music. Going by what I've read about his personality, he seems to have been much more comfortable with controversy than any INTP I've ever encountered. I would say that he was probably a T, though, since he seems to have been largely devoid of interpersonal finesse (people will point to his technical excellence as a sign of him being a T, but that's nothing to go by. There are plenty of Feeler artists who have a strong ability and desire to make their works technically rich, and in Bach's time, technical skill in a composer was much more highly valued than it is today).
    Last edited by Polaris; 09-29-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Similar Threads

  1. The Big Bang Theory
    By MerkW in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 07-11-2016, 10:33 PM
  2. [Enne] The big ol' bowl of Enneagram
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 12-19-2010, 02:07 AM
  3. The Big Lebowski
    By swordpath in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 09:51 PM
  4. MBTI Compared to the Big Five
    By FFF in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
  5. The Big Bang Theory
    By 01011010 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO