User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mistyping of James Tiberius Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by comicsgurl View Post
    There are probably a lot more than you think - I think it's best not to judge all ESTPs as simply "doing" folks who can't write. I'm sure many write, and do (think of all the business and self-help books out on the market). And co-writing? Co-writing is one of the easiest things you can do, depending on who the (famous) person is. It's all about ideas, baby! Shatner might dictate his ideas, or he might scribble down a few notes of what he'd like to see. Then a writer writes what Shatner wants. Shatner reads it over, makes adjustments and edits, and voila - he "co-wrote" a book. I doubt he has the time to sit down and just write a book, with all his acting and commercial deals.

Not nagging on you, though - I love me some Shatner, and I'm a Trekker from way back. But co-writing a book shouldn't be a determining factor of whether someone is a Sensor or an iNtuitive. In the real world there are several ways to co-write something, and any type can co-write.

And truthfully, Shatner might have some very strong intuitive processes. But is intuitive his default? I don't think so. I think he can draw on his intuition when he acts and I think he can draw upon it in different circumstances, but I don't think it's who he truly is.
    Agreed. SPs should and can make great authors.

The biggest indicator for Kirk being ENTP is his move to reprogram the Academy computers (The Kobayashi Maru, mentioned in Wrath of Khan) so that he was the first cadet to NOT have the Klingons destroy his ship. That's the Ne "there is always an out" that so marks the careers of ENTPs. Never tell them something can't be done.

ESTPs are also ingeneous, but it is usually with the materials right in front of them--not that they couldn't reprogram computers but usually their solutions are more in-the-moment. I've been married to one for 27 years and he can solve any immediate problem with a length of rope, two bobby pins and a match, but the Kobayashi would be faced by him as a depressing have-to and what-can-I-learn-from-it, not something to beat.

There are tons of fabulous S authors out there--an example would be Laura Ingalls Wilder, since you can just about make cheese after reading Little House on the Prairie. Usually their imagination kicks in from reality as opposed to from warp drives and Prime Directives.

INFJ and a Trekkie from the beginning...

Welcome to Sunnyside Array Mondo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    shatner & kirk r both entp.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

filling some space Array UnitOfPopulation's Avatar

ENTP seemed rather strange typing for him. He always seemed like the archetypal SP to me. Going first into recon missions, hands-on, battling .. ok , granted, it's not strange behavior for an ENTP at all. ESTP that I know do study and spend time alone learning from books and other sources much like me. ENTP like experiencing most of everything from first person perspective.

Sadly, I don't know many ENTP friends.. or perhaps, maybe many of my numerous ESTP friends are actually ENTP?

Kirk does invent interesting theories every now and then, very true. I think that makes it possible to type him as an ENTP, tho ESTP seems almost as likely choice.. to the point I can't say anythign with certainty.

I'd say ExTP for Kirk... definately. It's interestingly balanced out by an ESFx for McCoy and an ISTJ for Spock.
    "Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform style of thought." -Einstein

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily weak people, in other words they stand no chance!" -Snape

Em. Female INTx and Proud of it. Left-handed Calligrapher. Writer. Scientist. Type Five Enneagram.

Banned Array

Composite! I win. ESTP personality, ENTP job performance.