User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Tom Cruise

Default Tom Cruise

There is no Tom Cruise thread? Wow.

I think he is a definite Enneagram 3 so/sp (not sure about the wing) and an ExTJ.

I am thinking 3 because he has been described as incredibly driven and image-conscious, I remember several times reading about him that he comes across as very nice in person but that it is almost impossible to figure out who the real Tom Cruise is behind his image, what he really thinks.

ExTJ because he is an extroverted control-freak, an ExTJ gone bad, who will get rid of you if you don't serve his purposes anymore.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I always thought he was a "broken" INFP or ENFJ, believe it or not. (He originally wanted to be a priest.)

Ginkgo

Is Tom Cruise's career completely ruined, or is it not?

I have seen Cruise typed as ISTP who has come off the deep end and now finds himself living this negative form of a pseudo-ENFJ cult leader existence. I have also heard the ENFP typing but not the INFP one. He is narcissistic but if that is actually PD then he could be any type and perhaps now completely beyond typing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

He's been discussed here before in other threads (i.e. non-dedicated Tom Cruise threads), I think people just got tired of it.

And yeah, the typical proposition is either ISTP or an E3 of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Is Tom Cruise's career completely ruined, or is it not?
    Well, uh, his marriage(s) is....

He's got some movie coming out in a month, playing Jack Reacher. Looking old, though. He's actually pretty good at what he does, and I've enjoyed many of his movies. It'll be interesting to see what he releases in the next year or two. He's also hitting that weird age where he might become a cliche of his action-hero self like some other less talented box-office draws, so I'm curious to see how he reframes himself.... if he does. In his favor, he's done a lot of serious roles over the course of his career, not just action.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    He's been discussed here before in other threads (i.e. non-dedicated Tom Cruise threads), I think people just got tired of it.

And yeah, the typical proposition is either ISTP or an E3 of some sort.

Well, uh, his marriage(s) is....

He's got some movie coming out in a month, playing Jack Reacher. Looking old, though. He's actually pretty good at what he does, and I've enjoyed many of his movies. It'll be interesting to see what he releases in the next year or two. He's also hitting that weird age where he might become a cliche of his action-hero self like some other less talented box-office draws, so I'm curious to see how he reframes himself.... if he does. In his favor, he's done a lot of serious roles over the course of his career, not just action.
    As far as his publicity is concerned, I think he's so far removed from identifying with the mainstream audience that he has the opportunity to function as an actor on a new level. It seems like his reception will depend on the roles he chooses; I would like to see him in dramas like Interview with a Vampire. I think this would cultivate his image in ways that escape his old, iconic, Mission Impossible material, while still giving his performances a chance to flourish.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Yeah, ISTP sounds right. He's the quintessential 3w4, probably Sx/Sp.

I've seen him typed as an ESFP, I don't remember where...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    As far as his publicity is concerned, I think he's so far removed from identifying with the mainstream audience that he has the opportunity to function as an actor on a new level. It seems like his reception will depend on the roles he chooses; I would like to see him in dramas like Interview with a Vampire. I think this would cultivate his image in ways that escape his old, iconic, Mission Impossible material, while still giving his performances a chance to flourish.
    I dunno. I think people make a distinction between his real life escapades vs his movie persona. I don't think his popularity has really diminished a ton, even when he got bad press over Katie. Isn't he still considered a box-office draw.

He has 40 movies to his credit at IMDB (in the acting capacity), and a number of those (some among his most popular movies) have not been necessarily action pics.

- Lions for Lambs
    - Vanilla Sky
    - Magnolia
    - Eyes Wide Shut
    - Jerry Maguire
    - Interview with The Vampire
    - The Firm
    - A Few Good Men
    - Far and Away
    - Born on the Fourth of July
    - Rain Man
    - Cocktail
    - The Color of Money
    - All the Right Movies
    - Risky Business
    etc

I'm not even sure that War of the Worlds would be an "action role" for him per se, and "Knight & Day" was more a comedy-romance with an action overlay. And Collateral was kind of a drama with action. But anyway...

I do think if you skim the list, he does many more action-style pics nowadays, where there was a period from about 1988-2000 where he seemed to be interested in other types of movies. Showcase move: It's not uncommon to have at least one scene in many of his movies where he has to sprint somewhere. This showed up even in The Firm.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Knight and day was freakin hilarious!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison