• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tom Cruise

Lightyear

There is no Tom Cruise thread? Wow.

I think he is a definite Enneagram 3 so/sp (not sure about the wing) and an ExTJ.

I am thinking 3 because he has been described as incredibly driven and image-conscious, I remember several times reading about him that he comes across as very nice in person but that it is almost impossible to figure out who the real Tom Cruise is behind his image, what he really thinks.

ExTJ because he is an extroverted control-freak, an ExTJ gone bad, who will get rid of you if you don't serve his purposes anymore.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always thought he was a "broken" INFP or ENFJ, believe it or not. (He originally wanted to be a priest.)

Standuble

I have seen Cruise typed as ISTP who has come off the deep end and now finds himself living this negative form of a pseudo-ENFJ cult leader existence. I have also heard the ENFP typing but not the INFP one. He is narcissistic but if that is actually PD then he could be any type and perhaps now completely beyond typing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's been discussed here before in other threads (i.e. non-dedicated Tom Cruise threads), I think people just got tired of it.

And yeah, the typical proposition is either ISTP or an E3 of some sort.

Is Tom Cruise's career completely ruined, or is it not?

Well, uh, his marriage(s) is....

He's got some movie coming out in a month, playing Jack Reacher. Looking old, though. He's actually pretty good at what he does, and I've enjoyed many of his movies. It'll be interesting to see what he releases in the next year or two. He's also hitting that weird age where he might become a cliche of his action-hero self like some other less talented box-office draws, so I'm curious to see how he reframes himself.... if he does. In his favor, he's done a lot of serious roles over the course of his career, not just action.

G

Ginkgo

He's been discussed here before in other threads (i.e. non-dedicated Tom Cruise threads), I think people just got tired of it.

Well, uh, his marriage(s) is....

He's got some movie coming out in a month, playing Jack Reacher. Looking old, though. He's actually pretty good at what he does, and I've enjoyed many of his movies. It'll be interesting to see what he releases in the next year or two. He's also hitting that weird age where he might become a cliche of his action-hero self like some other less talented box-office draws, so I'm curious to see how he reframes himself.... if he does. In his favor, he's done a lot of serious roles over the course of his career, not just action.

As far as his publicity is concerned, I think he's so far removed from identifying with the mainstream audience that he has the opportunity to function as an actor on a new level. It seems like his reception will depend on the roles he chooses; I would like to see him in dramas like Interview with a Vampire. I think this would cultivate his image in ways that escape his old, iconic, Mission Impossible material, while still giving his performances a chance to flourish.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As far as his publicity is concerned, I think he's so far removed from identifying with the mainstream audience that he has the opportunity to function as an actor on a new level. It seems like his reception will depend on the roles he chooses; I would like to see him in dramas like Interview with a Vampire. I think this would cultivate his image in ways that escape his old, iconic, Mission Impossible material, while still giving his performances a chance to flourish.

I dunno. I think people make a distinction between his real life escapades vs his movie persona. I don't think his popularity has really diminished a ton, even when he got bad press over Katie. Isn't he still considered a box-office draw.

He has 40 movies to his credit at IMDB (in the acting capacity), and a number of those (some among his most popular movies) have not been necessarily action pics.

- Lions for Lambs
- Vanilla Sky
- Magnolia
- Eyes Wide Shut
- Jerry Maguire
- Interview with The Vampire
- The Firm
- A Few Good Men
- Far and Away
- Born on the Fourth of July
- Rain Man
- Cocktail
- The Color of Money
- All the Right Movies
- Risky Business
etc

I'm not even sure that War of the Worlds would be an "action role" for him per se, and "Knight & Day" was more a comedy-romance with an action overlay. And Collateral was kind of a drama with action. But anyway...

I do think if you skim the list, he does many more action-style pics nowadays, where there was a period from about 1988-2000 where he seemed to be interested in other types of movies. Showcase move: It's not uncommon to have at least one scene in many of his movies where he has to sprint somewhere. This showed up even in The Firm. ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Knight and day was freakin hilarious!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Knight and day was freakin hilarious!

I was disappointed it didn't do as well as they'd hoped. I really enjoy it. Not too heavy, decent action scenes, but just really kind of cute/crazy/funny and endearing. I thought the ending was great.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That sounds logical since Nicole Kidman is an INFJ and somehow I have an impression that young INFJs are attracted to ISTPs.

I have always liked his movies.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds logical since Nicole Kidman is an INFJ and somehow I have an impression that young INFJs are attracted to ISTPs.

I have always liked his movies.

Yeah, I think he's an STP as well. (You mention Nicole as INFJ; I always figured Katie was ISFJ, and ISFJ's will be equally drawn to STP's)

And agree with some other posters that his cult/scientology/control stuff is probably the more unhealthy /wacko side coming out. Especially the control component.

I tend to like his movies/acting as well; but his non-action ones much much moreso. (but admittedly, I think he really nails the roles that are more true to his own personality... e3-ness... i.e. Magnolia)

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I think he's an STP as well. (You mention Nicole as INFJ; I always figured Katie was ISFJ, and ISFJ's will be equally drawn to STP's)

And agree with some other posters that his cult/scientology/control stuff is probably the more unhealthy /wacko side coming out. Especially the control component.

I tend to like his movies/acting as well; but his non-action ones much much moreso. (but admittedly, I think he really nails the roles that are more true to his own personality... e3-ness... i.e. Magnolia)

WHY IS IT THAT ANY GUY THAT LIKES TO HAVE SEX IS AUTOMATICALLY LABELED AN XXSP?? JESUS CHRIST!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

He did an excellent job with that. But it's funny you mention the e3 thing... I think that shows up in how he plays many of his roles -- typically a man trying to succeed by whatever means he can, and not really sure who he himself is yet.

Simmer down, there. ;) Who mentioned sex?

Wait, define "sex."

(sorry, it's an ITP thing.)

A

Anew Leaf

His type: NUTS

*single handedly saves forum from themselves and the posting slavery such a thread like this will cause*

You're welcome.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
CRZY

or

SITH (as evidenced by his electrocution of Oprah)

Oh, come on -- that was what, seven years ago???

He has shown no such signs of power since then. It is likely that it was a genetic anomaly that has since quieted and dissipated. If the boy had Jedi powers, they would have no doubt manifested themselves since then.