• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The low percentage of INTPs in Western Fantasy and Science Fiction

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel underrepresented in fiction, especially fantasy.

I think the concepts can be INTP, but it's very hard to have an INTP character simply due to the fact that the type can be very internalized and construct their lives within their minds, rather than in external reality. An INTP character is more prone to be a consultant or a sage, rather than an active character that contributes to plot conflicts. INTJs are far more prone to want to make something happen and enact plans against an established order they dislike. Or even INFPs are far more prone, when they see personal values being overrun in society -- they become activists.

What do INTPs typically do? Retreat into their studies, read books, do labs, and write journals or philosophical treatises.

I actually am watching a Ti-strong character (George Sibley, on "Six Feet Under"), but that's not fantasy nor is he probably an N. He's like ISTP. But the show involves a lot of drama/talking, rather than activity, so he gets to express himself a lot and you see the Ti mentality come out greatly that way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel underrepresented in fiction, especially fantasy.

I think the concepts can be INTP, but it's very hard to have an INTP character simply due to the fact that the type can be very internalized and construct their lives within their minds, rather than in external reality. An INTP character is more prone to be a consultant or a sage, rather than an active character that contributes to plot conflicts. INTJs are far more prone to want to make something happen and enact plans against an established order they dislike. Or even INFPs are far more prone, when they see personal values being overrun in society -- they become activists.

What do INTPs typically do? Retreat into their studies, read books, do labs, and write journals or philosophical treatises.

I actually am watching a Ti-strong character (George Sibley, on "Six Feet Under"), but that's not fantasy nor is he probably an N. He's like ISTP. But the show involves a lot of drama/talking, rather than activity, so he gets to express himself a lot and you see the Ti mentality come out greatly that way.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd

Really do you see George an IxTP? I see him more of INTJ (I do not want to spoiler if you maybe didn't see that, but he goes into severe unhealthy Ni overload, imho).

The only character in 6FU I am sure he is an INTP, is Arthur (played by Rainn Wilson)

Bye.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If we cast the Scarecrow in Oz as an INTP, it's rather the same. He acts in an advisory position to Dorothy but really he's just along for the ride.

This is the first time I've seen a typing of the Scarecrow, but I totally agree.

Ender Wiggin from Ender's Game seemed like an INTP when I read it ages ago. I haven't read the other books though, so maybe not.

Ender may be a little bit superficially INTP, but there is a swift punch of NiFe about him, especially toward the end of the first book. So I'll say INFJ for him.

Tim Burton's Alice is a newer NTP character I like. At least, she's seems INTP or less outgoing ENTP.

Tim Burton's Alice is probably the best example of what a main character INTP is like in a fantasy.

The most obvious answer is that INTPs make "boring" and ineffectual main characters.

They're not externally active.

Usually they function as a sidekick or sage in a story -- someone who "has insight" into a particular situation.

But they tend not to do much, because they don't want to commit to action, they want to keep things open to observation and continual analysis.

Other character types are far more active within a story line.

As a writer, I need dynamic characters to carry a plot. INTPs are generally NOT that... unless of course they have developed other aspects of their personality and aren't "typical" INTPs.

And this doesn't necessarily end the book when the main character does this, but it does make things harder. An INTP main character will probably need to be in a situation where he/she is trapped in a sense, and is kind of forced to move forward and make a decision. Something like falling down a rabbit hole...

leectra

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I mainly read fantasy, and though I don't type most books, I have come across a few INTP's (I think)
Chronicles of Elantra series - Severn (this series actually has a lot of NT's, the main characters an ENTJ and a lot of supporting characters are INTJ)
White Cat - Cassel - he's actually the main character. He might be INFP, but I think he's T

I doubt anyone's ever heard of any of these, actually. But hey.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They're the guy hacking into the mainframe in heist movies. :D