• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones / G.R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" (tv & book series)

yumchesspie

MBTI Type
idk
Enneagram
5w6
Oberyn is the most ESFP motherfucker on that show. If you can't see this guy bleeding SeFi all over every scene he's in, you're just not paying attention. It's just silly.

You people's typings are...not very good. Sorry.

Baelish and Arya are poster children for INTJ. Watch the way they absorb the implications of their situations until they become self-perception, then strategically manipulate it for maximal personal gain.

I mean, Baelish is basically Nietzschean philosophy personified. What planet are you people typing from where you get ENTP? Are you serious?

Yes, thankfully *someone* is paying attention!

Also commonly mistyped is Tywin Lannister, another brilliant ISTJ that the entire internet assumes has to be INTJ because he's smart and Ss are dumb or whatever.

More problems with you people's typings:

--Tyrion (INTP) doesn't turn into an extrovert just because his circumstances have forced him to become socially competent to survive. His principles are Kantian Ti to the core and they're clearly his main priority. (He just drinks and screws around a lot because he's depressed, obviously.)

--Jaime (ENTP) doesn't become an S just because he's good at physical combat with swords. He was trained from birth and had natural talent and money and resources behind him; that doesn't make him ESTP.

--Robb Stark is not an ESTJ. You're correctly reading Te and Ne, but you got them in the wrong order--he's a young and naive ENFP, and his story arc is largely about how young, naive idealism doesn't actually win in a harsh, brutal world. (For comparison, Stannis Baratheon is an actual ESTJ. Robb is much more similar to fellow ENFP Renley Baratheon--note that blind idealism helped lead both to losing wars.)

--A bunch of you are getting Ned and Catelyn backwards because you don't realize Si+Fi is not ISFJ and Si+Ti is not ISTJ. Ned is the ISTJ and Catelyn the ISFJ; she's just a hardass who will fuck you up to protect her clan. That doesn't disqualify her from being an F.

--Cersei is not an ENTJ; you're making the common mistake of confusing ESTP and ENTJ because they're both dominant and aggressive. (One of the most Se > Ni scenes in the series is when Baelish, an INTJ, tries to subtly threaten Cersei, an ESTP, by hinting that he knows about her incestuous affair with her brother, saying, "knowledge is power" [Ni], and then she has the guards grab him and threatens to slit his throat and replies "No, power is power!" [Se]). To my knowledge, the only female ENTJ in the series is Olenna Tyrell.

--Joffrey was a psychotic ISTP who didn't understand or pay attention to the world around him enough to realize he couldn't just shit on everyone all the time and get away with it. (You can argue for ESTP here but I think he was just too oblivious and non-reactive to his political surroundings.)

You sound rather cocky and almost personally offended by other people's opinions. Also, the name-dropping is pretty trite and unimpressive.

Littlefinger might be a more clear INTJ in the books, but he gives off an ENFJ vibe in the series.

Not sure what to say about Arya. INTJ is possible, but I wouldn't rule out ISxP.

ISTJs, like any other type, can be quite brilliant. No need to assume that's why people see him as an NT. I see him that way because of his interactions with people and his tendency to read between the lines and use it to his advantage. His foresight is superb and he seems to be always a step ahead. He uses the law and set standard for his advantage, but he doesn't seem attached to it. ISTJ doesn't make sense to me because then Ni would be inferior for him and I certainly don't see that.

I agree that Tyrion could be an introvert, but the reason I see Tyrion as an extrovert is not because he has sex and drinks--most of the characters do that. But because he's been able to endure more than a lot of the characters and has still managed to maintain quite a bit of vitality. And he frequently has to pick an unseen possibility inspired by his environment and go with it before having ample time to think it through. And he's okay with that. He's not okay with injustice, but he seems to gather inspiration from the outside world even if his relationship with it is love/hate. I believe his Fe function is higher than inferior, and I think his Ne is above his Ti because Ti users tend to be veeeeery thorough with an idea before putting it out there. In fact, I'm not sure I can rule out INFP for him because I've noticed instances that looked like Fi/Ne/Te.

Jamie is much more practical than Tyrion. He is the ultimate realist. He does what he has to do and uses whatever or who(m)ever is there to accomplish it. He's more of a doer than a talker, but he always has the right words to say when the time comes. I think you're the prejudiced one here who thinks sensors can't be brilliant and symbolic. Some great artists of multiple facets were/are sensors who utilize color, shape, and lighting to create nuance in order to convey something. Many of these people were still sensors. In fact, their preference for things to be tangible can be what motivates them to turn something abstract like an emotion into a painting or sculpture or film, etc...Jaimie is a deep, wise in some ways guy. Because he's lived his life without rose-colored glasses. He sees the reality in front of him and he analytical enough to be able to understand it profoundly. Sure, he was trained to fight. But when his arm was cut off it was symbolic of his life. What meant the most to him and what he felt most comfortable with. It was almost as if his dominant function was taken away, then replaced by his auxiliary. Now he uses more Ti.

Catelyn seems ESTJ to me. She uses Fi, not Fe, and is pretty 'active' and blunt. She always wants the truth and there's little evidence she's introverted.

Cersei is not practical enough to be an ESTP unless she is extremely unbalanced. She is more idealistic than she admits and is obsessed with control. She does not go with the flow. She temporarily pretends to, then complains and/or tries to manipulate the situation. I see a lot of Ni in her with unbalanced Te and Fi. She's almost constantly paranoid and sees how little things could cause a major domino effect, usually at her expense. She drinks and engages in sensory pleasures when stressed just like someone with inferior Se will do. She's ashamed of her emotions and doesn't really connect with anyone besides Jaime, because he is her twin. She's a worrier to the extreme and people who are Se dominant generally aren't constantly worrying about the future. When she gets a theory she sticks to it even if logic disagrees. She is supposed to be like her father, except less logical and more emotional. Well, if you go by functions, Tywin being an ENTJ and Cersei being an INTJ fits. Obviously, she is unbalanced and has paranoid and narcissistic traits, which INTJs are susceptible to. I don't see much Fe in her, because although she is charming and plays her role well, she's clearly miserable and is fine with the world being in chaos as long as she and the few closest to her are secure and in harmony.

Joffrey is hard to type. I don't see a clear preference for introversion over extroversion. I think if I had to guess though, I'd pick either Se or Fi as his dominant function. I'm not sure though because I think he uses immediate pleasure more as a distraction from deep-seated emotional pain and self-hatred. It's possible Se is not one of his functions. I can also see a touch of intuition in him that shows up mainly when interacting with or planning to interact with people. It's difficult to say what thinking function he uses.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
this forum is just people randomly spouting off function names they don't know anything about and it makes me not want to post

napo_leon

I don't see Cersei as a sensor. Ni causes most of her problems. I also think she naturally has Fi, but is forced to use Fe instead. She seems like an ambivert, so I'd guess xNTJ.

Littlefinger actually does seem to use Fe with ease. He could be an ENFJ. I guess he might be different in the books, but in the show he doesn't come across as particularly introverted or reserved about his feelings. In fact, he uses his alleged feelings for Catelyn to manipulate people.

Milisandre--xNFJ. She's pretty charming and good at persuading people, and although she's mysterious there's little proof in the show that she's introverted. She's usually around other people and doesn't seem bothered by unexpected company. However, Ni could still be her dominant function and she could be so committed to her faith that she's willing to put on any front to see her plan through. I can see TJ as well though. She is good at forward planning and likes to test a theory she has in the outside world, so I see a possible Ni/Te combination in her.

Varys--INTP or INFJ.

Sansa--ESFJ

Catelyn--I see more ESTJ than anything. She's action-oriented and uses Fi more than Fe.

Jon Snow--ISFP

Arya--ISxP

The Hound--ISTP

Tywin--ENTJ

Tyrion--ENxP

Jaime--ESxP

Joffrey--It's hard to say because he was unhealthy and didn't last long, but I do think he liked to be able to control his environment and liked clarity and consistency from the outside, so I think he's a Te user and possibly a J. Obviously he did not use Fe much. He preferred to be blunt rather than tactful, and though highly sensitive he preferred to appear otherwise. He was young and immature, so it's difficult to see how much foresight he might have. He didn't really have to call most of the political shots. Were he less spoiled, and forced to make important decisions, it'd be interesting to see what would do.

Daenerys confuses me. I can't tell if she uses Fi or Fe. She's good at assimilating into different groups and had good diplomacy for her level of experience, yet she also has some strong, unconventional (for the time/place) views that she refuses to give up even if it hurts her popularity. It was only when individual people came to express their tragedies to her (in the show, at least) that she yielded a bit. That seemed very Fi to me. I think whatever feeling function she uses guides her the most.

You are right to see Fe in Littlefinger with the exception of it being tertiary rather than dominant. He is somehow an evil counterpart of Varys who is oriented toward maintaining the kingdom and preventing breakdown by any means necessary. Baelish abuses his tertiary Fe to create chaos and disorder. His "love" for Catelyn is more of a simplistic excuse for people like Sansa to justify his actions. His deepest reasons I think are far from a childhood heartbreak.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I know that what I'm about to say goes against the grain, but ENxP for the canonical Tyrion seems way off to me; he's just too cynical and problem-foreseeing. Also, I could never imagine a Si user, not even an NP, getting so much joy out of sensual pleasures as Tyrion does. That's more of a Se thing.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Tv series - Jon Snow: ISFP? e9?

I see him typed INFJ and INFP but he's such a doer with Fi that I don't agree with either.

Surr

MBTI Type
IDFK
I'll give it a shot.. Though I think I'll get it incredibly wrong :shock: I'm basing these on the series because I haven't read the books (I know right, you can stop gasping there..)

Tyrion Lannister- ENTP
Jaime Lannister- ISFJ
Cersei Lannister- ESTJ
Daenerys Targaryen- INFJ
Jon Snow- ISFP
Samwell Tarly- ISFJ
Petyr Baelish- ENTJ (Maybe I)
Maergary Tyrell- ENFP
Stannis Baratheon- ISTJ
Theon Greyjoy- ESTP
Bran Stark- INFP
Sansa Stark- ESFJ
Arya Stark- INTJ
Brienne of Tarth- ISFJ
Ramsay Bolton- ENTJ
Varys- INTP
Bronn- ESTP
Gendry- ESFJ
Tywin Lannister- ENTJ
Shae- ESFJ
Ygritte- ENTP
Jofferey Baratheon- ESFP (a very sick one)
Catelyn Stark- ESTJ
Robb Stark- ESTJ
Eddard Stark- ISTJ
Robert Baratheon - ESFP

Gabe_2

!!!SPOILERS BELOW!!

In response to the OP:

Interesting. The only one I've really payed enough attention to to possibly speak about would be Jaime Lannister. From the shows (admitting I haven't read the books, although i've wiki-ed the whole series, including a summary of what's been up with Jaime so far). I agree with your guess, but I can't say for sure...maybe ISTP? What I did notice is that the confession to Brienne about how and why he killed the mad king; and a couple other moments in the show, point to ego-dystonic, VERY ego-dystonic (7th or 8th position in the archetype model) introverted feeling.

The next part is more speculative on my part, but (and this relates to the very-ego-dystonic introverted feeling I just mentioned) early in the series he's vulnerable to Cersie's emotional manipulation, and it seems that getting his values validated by Brienne (ENFP or INFP?) is a key step in allowing him to wake up from the-spell-of-Cersie to the point where he's explicitly working against her from then onward.

knowledge827

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ned Stark: ISTJ 1w9 > 6w5 > 2w1 so/sp
Catelyn Stark: ISTJ 1w2 > 2w1 > 6w5 sp/so
Robb Stark: ESTJ 8w9 > 6w5 > 3w4 sp/so
Arya Stark: ISFP 7w8 > 8w7 > 4w5 sp/sx
Sansa Stark: ESFJ 6w7 > 9w1 > 2w1 so/sp
Jon Snow: ISTJ 6w5 > 1w9 > 4w5 (sw 3w4) sp/so

Tyrion Lannister: ENTP 7w6 > 9w8 > 3w2 sx/so
Tywin Lannister: INTJ 8w9 > 5w6 > 3w4 sp/so
Cersei Lannister: ESTJ 3w4 > 6w5 > 8w9 sp/sx (best guess)
Jaime Lannister: ESTP 3w2 > 7w8 > 8w7 sx/sp
Joffrey Baratheon
: ESFP 2w3 > 6w7 > 8w7 sx/so

Robert Baratheon: ESxP 7w8 > 8w7 > 2w3 sx/so
Stannis Baratheon: ISTJ 1w9 > 3w4 > 5w6 sp/sx
Renly Baratheon: ENFP 3w2 > 6w7 > 9w8 so/sx

Daenerys Targaryen: ISFP 9w8 > 6w7 > 2w3 sx/so
Ser Jorah Mormont: ISFJ 6w5 > 9w1 > 2w1 sp/so
Ser Barristan Selmy: ISTJ 6w5 > ? > ? so/sp

Miscellaneous
Littlefinger: INTJ or ENTP 3w4 > 5w6 > 8w9 sp/so
Varys: INFJ 5w6 > 9w8 > 3w4 ??/??
Melisandre: INFJ 2w1 > 9w1 > 6w5 sx/sp (best guess)
The Hound: ISTP 8w9 > 6w5 > 4w5 sp/sx
Oberyn Martell: ESFP 7w8 > 8w7 > 2w3 sx/sp

That's all I can think of right now.

Qre:us

Catelyn is xSFJ, not xSTJ.

There is no way in hell Jon Snow is ISTJ. His prominent function is Fi. He leads with it. Either IXFP.

Tywin is ENTJ.

Littlefinger is INTJ.

Dany is some kind of XNFJ.

knowledge disappearance. it's a thing.....

Last edited:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Lol. I keep expecting the on-screen Littlefinger to twirl his moustache with panache and mug the camera after each double-edged comment he makes.

I actually think he's my least favourite character in the tv show. His "Chaos is a laddah" speech is incredibly cheesy and everything he says is so heavily laden with ill-intent it actually makes me laugh that the attitude of the other characters towards him is anything other than avoidance, with the exception of Varys.

I've not read the books but he just seems...well boring. Yet another overly-obvious Machiavellian type amongst many I've seen in fiction.

knowledge827

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Catelyn is xSFJ, not xSTJ.

There is no way in hell Jon Snow is ISTJ. His prominent function is Fi. He leads with it. Either IXFP.

Tywin is ENTJ.

Littlefinger is INTJ.

Dany is some kind of XNFJ.

knowledge disappearance. it's a thing.....

I beg to differ.

I could see a case for Tywin as either INTJ or ENTJ, but I think that his Ni is more dominant because all of his actions are guided by a singular, uncompromising, personalized vision of making House Lannister the sole ruling power in Westeros. There is no doubt in my mind that Tywin uses Te in his functional stack and I would say that it is only slightly subordinate to his Ni, making both INTJ and ENTJ equally plausible. However, he also tends to chide his children for being rash and impulsive, which to me suggests a case of inferior Se, albeit a well-developed Se, but nonetheless inferior.

I do think Littlefinger is an INTJ masquerading as an ENTP, but I think he just does it so well that even us, as viewers, can't help but to sometimes fall into his coaxing trap.

Daenerys' actions are all based on her internal sense of ethics. For example, when she decides to put all the former slave-masters to death, she remained adamant and insistent on doing so against the advice of others.

I would like to clarify something here. I do not want to play on the stereotype that ISTJs are dutiful and traditionalists. Additionally, I have seen compelling cases for Jon Snow being a few different types. That being said, I think that Jon is a dominant Si-user for a few reasons. As a bastard, he seems to have accepted this role of his in society and doesn't try to fight against it or prove otherwise (inferior Ne). Additionally, there are many situations that arise within the books and the movies in which Jon is reluctant to abandon his vows. This shows that he wants to work within a system, in contrast to FPs who want to blatantly work outside and defy systems (like Oberyn Martell, Robert Baratheon, Arya Stark, Daenerys Targaryen etc.). For example, when he says that he is reluctant to lie with a woman because he is afraid of producing another bastard child, this is an example of Jon pointing out the logical consequences of what would happen if he were to take a certain sort of action (Te). I don't think that Jon is a dominant or auxiliary Fi user of any sort, because he is able to overcome his personal emotions in most situations to make rational decisions, although I think that his thinking and feeling processes are very much closely linked together, in contrast to someone who is an IxFP.

As for Catelyn, well, that judgment was based more on a vibe, tbh. I didn't really care enough to analyze her that much.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
In the beginning, I've thought Tyrion Lannister is an INTP, but he's rather ENTP. He also has a slight ENFP vibe.

HOUSE LANNISTER
Tywin: INTJ
Cersei: INTJ
Jaime: ESTP
Tyrion: ENTP
Lancel: ISTJ
(The "Baratheons")
Joffrey: ENTJ
Myrcella: ISFP
Tommen: ISFP

HOUSE STARK
Eddard: ISFJ
Catelyn: ISTJ
Robb: ESTJ
Jon Snow: INFP
Sansa: ISFJ
Arya: INTJ (yes, Ni, Te, Fi, Se fits her perfectly)
Bran: ISTP
Rickon: Too young to type

HOUSE BARATHEON
Robert: ESTP
Renly: ENFP
Stannis the Mannis: ISTJ
Gendry: ESTP

HOUSE TARGARYEN
Danaerys: INFJ
Viserys: ESTJ
Aemon: INFJ

HOUSE TYRELL
Olenna: ENTJ
Margaery: ENFJ
Loras Tyrell: ESTP

OTHER
Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish: ENTJ
Lord Varys: As INTJ as it gets
Jorah Mormont: ISFP
Sandor "The Hound" Clegane: ISTP
Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane: ESTP
Samwell Tarly: INFJ
Ygritte: ENTJ

kangaroo2003

Enneagram
3w4
Show.

The writer is INFJ
Littlefinger INTJ
Cersei ESFP
Varys INFJ
Daenarys ISFP
Stannis is Ti user... probably ISTP. If we take stereotypes, that would be ISTJ obviously.
Tyrion ENTP, maybe ENFJ
Jon Snow is either ISFP or INTJ
Stop trying to type Arya, she's way too mixed. Se-Ni user tho.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here goes:

House Lannister
Tywin - ?
Tyrion - ExTP, possibly ENFJ.
Jamie - ESTP
Cersei - ESFP

House Stark
Ned - ISTJ
Catalyn - ISxJ
Robb - ESTx
Arya - ESFP
Sansa - ISFJ

House Baratheon
Robert - ESxP
Renly - ENxP

House Tyrell
Olenna - ENTJ
Margeary - ESFJ
~

Daenerys - xSFx She sometimes seemed like an Si user to me. For example, her fascination with the dragon eggs.
Viserys - INFJ
Baelish - INTJ

North of the Wall
Jon Snow - ISFP, but lately considered him being an Fe user. He tries to unite the wildlings with the nights watch despite their differences.
Samwell Tarley - INTP
Ygritte - xSTP

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Danerys Targaryen - good INFJ
Melisandre - bad INFJ

Varys - good INTx
Littlefinger - bad INTx

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Danerys Targaryen - good INFJ
Melisandre - bad INFJ
I definitely agree that Daenerys is an INFJ, but I'd call her a slightly problematic INFJ, where some people seem to see her as a paragon of virtue. She thinks with her heart in a very admirable/instinctive way, but I think her story largely reflects how that can lead to both good and ill - thinking of the way she dealt with Drogo in the end, her wishful thinking re: her dragons, her utopian attitudes in ruling people she's freed, and so on. She really suffers from being a little too idealistic and not always dealing with reality.

Also, Varys definitely strikes me as an INTP in how seems to value collecting knowledge for the sake of collecting knowledge, but doesn't always appear to have a super strict plan going (judging mostly by the TV show, to be fair). Although an INTJ with a great poker face would make sense. Of course it'd all be clear if he got perspective chapters in the books.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I definitely agree that Daenerys is an INFJ, but I'd call her a slightly problematic INFJ, where some people seem to see her as a paragon of virtue. She thinks with her heart in a very admirable/instinctive way, but I think her story largely reflects how that can lead to both good and ill - thinking of the way she dealt with Drogo in the end, her wishful thinking re: her dragons, her utopian attitudes in ruling people she's freed, and so on. She really suffers from being a little too idealistic and not always dealing with reality.

She's not perfect, but she's not Melisandre.

Also, Varys definitely strikes me as an INTP in how seems to value collecting knowledge for the sake of collecting knowledge, but doesn't always appear to have a super strict plan going (judging mostly by the TV show, to be fair). Although an INTJ with a great poker face would make sense. Of course it'd all be clear if he got perspective chapters in the books.

Martin's never gonna give us that, assuming he finishes the books.

Duffy

Here goes:

House Lannister
Tywin - ?
Tyrion - ExTP, possibly ENFJ.
Jamie - ESTP
Cersei - ESFP

House Stark
Ned - ISTJ
Catalyn - ISxJ
Robb - ESTx
Arya - ESFP
Sansa - ISFJ

House Baratheon
Robert - ESxP
Renly - ENxP

House Tyrell
Olenna - ENTJ
Margeary - ESFJ
~

Daenerys - xSFx She sometimes seemed like an Si user to me. For example, her fascination with the dragon eggs.
Viserys - INFJ
Baelish - INTJ

North of the Wall
Jon Snow - ISFP, but lately considered him being an Fe user. He tries to unite the wildlings with the nights watch despite their differences.
Samwell Tarley - INTP
Ygritte - xSTP

Daenerys has terrible Ni. I don't get why people keep saying INFJ. She could be Si in the likes of INFP/ISFJ, but I haven't thought about it enough. Why do you think she's an Si user?

*series impressions*

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Daenerys has terrible Ni. I don't get why people keep saying INFJ. She could be Si in the likes of INFP/ISFJ, but I haven't thought about it enough. Why do you think she's an Si user?

*series impressions*

I agree. Throughout the series she was entirely focused on the present and enforcing justice in the slave cities. She certainly doesn't realise what the results of her actions will be, which seems like a weakness in Te and Ni. She conquers cities and lacks the realization that it could cause a war, or that the people will return to slaving and making unsullied armies after she leaves anyway. Fe isn't very clear either, as she often doesn't listen to her advisers.

I'm beginning to change my mind about some of the characters and that post was a few months back. I used to think Daenerys shows Si because of the way she settles into the Dothraki traditions and how she looks at the three dragon eggs. I don't believe that anymore though- for now my guess is that she is ISFP. But there is no way she is an INFJ.

Just noticed, where I said Viserys I mean Varys. After reading some of the books I think Jon Snow is INTJ and Robb Stark is ESTJ.