User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INXJ

Default Mistyping Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter

ISFPs Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter are sometimes mistyped as INFPs, possibly in part because it’s assumed that a character with magical powers or strong in the Force must be an N. But the S/N difference isn’t about one possessing supernatural powers the other lacks. It’s about viewpoint and what kind of information is the main focus: the pieces or the whole, the present or the future, reality or imagination, theory or fact, etc. In Luke’s own words (as I recall from one of the New Jedi Order novels), he was never much good at seeing the big picture. There are likewise numerous examples which show Harry Potter being more S than N.

Also compare each to their main adversaries. The Emperor and Voldemort are both INTJ visionary masterminds, big picture/future planners, while Luke and Harry are SP responders. For that matter, so is the Emperor’s right hand enforcer: ISTP Darth Vader, who is sometimes mistyped as an ENTJ (perhaps you could make a case that he became more ENTJ when he became Vader, but Anakin Skywalker was likely an ISTP and Vader is nothing like the long range future planner/Empire builder that his master was).

MBTI
    INTJ

Way for you to mistype. Darth Vader is an ISTJ, he is organized, focused, planned, he isn't a P. His S limits him from the long range planning that he has. Anakin Skywalker is an ENFP. I don't know where you got ISTP. Look at how he interacts with people, just watch him and Padme in the second episode. He clearly is N from how he imagines possibilities and is really rebellious against authority. He is clearly an emotional person, look at episode 2 again when he kills the tribe because they killed his mother and how he expressed it after. He is P because he doesn't think well into the future and is more reactive to situations rather than planned.

Luke may be an ISFP, Harry definitely is.

Enneagram
    1w2

I'm not Harry Potter or Star Wars fan but I do think it's mighty strange that whenever I look at these typing threads the bulk of the characters are Intuitives. To me it's statistically impossible to have so many N characters while the majority of the population is Sensate.

It's just another testament to N-superiority in my mind. People can't distinguish between S and N unless they're heavily one or the other. *shrug*

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

To me it's statistically impossible to have so many N characters while the majority of the population is Sensate.
    Not when the creators of these works of fiction are N types themselves.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jgib5328 View Post
    Way for you to mistype. Darth Vader is an ISTJ, he is organized, focused, planned, he isn't a P. His S limits him from the long range planning that he has.
    Nice, yes, as portrayed in Star Wars 1,2,3 he very much is this.

Anakin Skywalker is an ENFP. I don't know where you got ISTP. Look at how he interacts with people, just watch him and Padme in the second episode. He clearly is N from how he imagines possibilities and is really rebellious against authority. He is clearly an emotional person, look at episode 2 again when he kills the tribe because they killed his mother and how he expressed it after. He is P because he doesn't think well into the future and is more reactive to situations rather than planned.
    I'm not sure about ENFP per say but you make a good case. The F thing, definitely. That is the one thing that stays consistent from little Anakin to teen Anakin.

i think one of the weaknesses of Lucas' movies (for me as a viewer, some people view the movies for different reasons) is that the character arcs are not coherent. The shift from, well, SOMETHING as Anakin to an ISTJ Darth Vader is not coherent. The characters are subservient to the plot, rather than the plot being generated from the characters.

One could make a case for Luke being ISFP. He's definitely IxFP, though. And no, the N guess many make isn't necessarily because he can use the Force... there are other reasons. (Much of the third movie, he's speak in grand N-style language, NOT like an S would. But again, this is more Lucas speaking through Luke... hmm, name similarity? Lucas doesn't care about keeping complex personalities consistent, he at best works with "roles" -- the knight, the cowboy, the evil villain, etc -- and the personalities take second seat.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Um... yes. It's not the real world, so normal demographics are not applicable. And writers tend to write deeply in ways they understand, themselves. Lucas seems pretty FP... sometimes I think N (because of focusing on the mythical journey, which appeals to him greatly), but his creativity never seems to "mesh" consistently, it's more like a pastiche of visual experiences especially as he aged... very typical for SFP, which can be mistaken for N on the surface. It's hard to tell what part of that shift was him and what part was the zillions of SP graphic/visual artists working for him.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Another assumption.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Nice, yes, as portrayed in Star Wars 1,2,3 he very much is this.

I'm not sure about ENFP per say but you make a good case. The F thing, definitely. That is the one thing that stays consistent from little Anakin to teen Anakin.

i think one of the weaknesses of Lucas' movies (for me as a viewer, some people view the movies for different reasons) is that the character arcs are not coherent. The shift from, well, SOMETHING as Anakin to an ISTJ Darth Vader is not coherent. The characters are subservient to the plot, rather than the plot being generated from the characters.

One could make a case for Luke being ISFP. He's definitely IxFP, though. And no, the N guess many make isn't necessarily because he can use the Force... there are other reasons. (Much of the third movie, he's speak in grand N-style language, NOT like an S would. But again, this is more Lucas speaking through Luke... hmm, name similarity? Lucas doesn't care about keeping complex personalities consistent, he at best works with "roles" -- the knight, the cowboy, the evil villain, etc -- and the personalities take second seat.)

Um... yes. It's not the real world, so normal demographics are not applicable. And writers tend to write deeply in ways they understand, themselves. Lucas seems pretty FP... sometimes I think N (because of focusing on the mythical journey, which appeals to him greatly), but his creativity never seems to "mesh" consistently, it's more like a pastiche of visual experiences especially as he aged... very typical for SFP, which can be mistaken for N on the surface. It's hard to tell what part of that shift was him and what part was the zillions of SP graphic/visual artists working for him.
    I suppose the shift works if Anakin is ENFP.. because he is overwhelmed by his shadow, which is ISTJ. So he becomes this withdrawn unhealthy obsessive.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    It's just another testament to N-superiority in my mind. People can't distinguish between S and N unless they're heavily one or the other. *shrug*
    It's self serving bias -- the same reason you might have seen posts here or in other forums where Intiuitive-typed members are "suggested" by other Intuitives to be Sensors... and why you haven't seen, and probably will not be seeing, Sensors suggested to be Intuitive.

There is no superiority in my mind. That particular feeling would stem from something else you would not see discussed here, disguised by forum dymanics and affect of questionable sincerity. And the way MBTI is presented -- it does not help.
    Not really.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

It's true, Protes. Statistically speaking most characters in books/movies are Intuitives (possibly the only way they can exert themselves without awkwardness in real life? lol *eyeroll*) Bleh. Anyhoo, Ns grossly outnumber Ss in most literature, particularly fiction. I think it MUST be writer bias.

But my favorite fiction guy, Heathcliff, his bad bad self is an ISTP. WOOT.

FWIW, I took the characters to be like this: (all just my opinion though!)

Han - ENTJ
    Leia - ENFP (Carrie Fischer playing her shadow)
    Anakin - ISF/TJ
    Darth Vader - ISTJ (didn't see any change whatsoever between his "good" and "bad")
    Fett - ISTJ
    Padme - E/INFP
    Obi Wan - INFJ
    Qui Gon - ISFJ
    Chewbacca - ME
    Luke - DORK (like who cares, shrimpy blond whiny guy!?)

Ta da!!!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    It's self serving bias -- the same reason you might have seen posts here or in other forums where Intiuitive-typed members are "suggested" by other Intuitives to be Sensors... and why you haven't seen, and probably will not be seeing, Sensors suggested to be Intuitive.

There is no superiority in my mind. That particular feeling would stem from something else you would not see discussed here, disguised by forum dymanics and affect of questionable sincerity. And the way MBTI is presented -- it does not help.
    Yes, you're right especially about the bolded part.

Why is it that so many people on the forum see intuitive traits and therefore type the character/person in question instead of considering that they might actually be well-rounded sensors? And why aren't well-rounded intuitives given that same credit?

I was recently reading a book about psychotherapy and type and the author presented a very interesting alternative to how the inferior manifests itself. Referring specifically to IJs and EPs, how ESPs tend to write fiction that they dregde up from the recesses of their psyche which tends to look Ni, while INJs tend to write incredibly Se fiction, etc.

So when people say that most of the characters are Ns because most of the writers or creators are Ns, that doesn't make sense to me. Just because you're dealing with fiction or fantasy doesn't always mean that it's an N that creates it. Seems like a pretty simple thought to wrap your mind around.