• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyping Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Luke Skywalker is so daft and whiny he HAS to be an N. Don't make me break out the "power converter" whine fest quote, people.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
One of the difficulties in typing Harry is that when someone spends the first 11 years of his life confined in a closet under a stairs, personality type isn't allowed to develop normally. His is the one character whose character isn't consistent throughout the books.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
One of the difficulties in typing Harry is that when someone spends the first 11 years of his life confined in a closet under a stairs, personality type isn't allowed to develop normally. His is the one character whose character isn't consistent throughout the books.

Really? I never noticed anything out of character for him. I read all seven books, and he went from an 11 year old introverted feeling type to a 17 year old introverted feeling type. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I just honestly can't remember anything "out-of-type" in his case.

(by introverted feeling type, I mean I_FP)

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Really? I never noticed anything out of character for him. I read all seven books, and he went from an 11 year old introverted feeling type to a 17 year old introverted feeling type. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I just honestly can't remember anything "out-of-type" in his case.

(by introverted feeling type, I mean I_FP)

My son who is now 20 prefers INFP and was appalled at the portrayal of Harry in Book 5. Most INFPs simply avoid outbursts, consistently, no matter what.

I"m more saying that being barred from interactions for those years, and taught not to value himself, kept him from developing clear preferences. I find it easy to type Ron, Hermione and Dumbledore but Harry...is he really even Introverted? He spent 11 years in isolation and quickly developed close friendships once allowed...that's what I mean.

cn1234567890

MBTI Type
ENFP
My son who is now 20 prefers INFP and was appalled at the portrayal of Harry in Book 5. Most INFPs simply avoid outbursts, consistently, no matter what.

I"m more saying that being barred from interactions for those years, and taught not to value himself, kept him from developing clear preferences. I find it easy to type Ron, Hermione and Dumbledore but Harry...is he really even Introverted? He spent 11 years in isolation and quickly developed close friendships once allowed...that's what I mean.

oosh, not true. I have an INFP friend who will speak up when she gets mad and she gets mad. INFPs really defend when their values are threatened. :violin:

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not Harry Potter or Star Wars fan but I do think it's mighty strange that whenever I look at these typing threads the bulk of the characters are Intuitives. To me it's statistically impossible to have so many N characters while the majority of the population is Sensate.

Not when the creators of these works of fiction are N types themselves.

Another assumption.
Actually, I would put money on the vast majority of fiction writers having strongly-developed Ni, or to a lesser extent, Ne, regardless of type, and a strong showing of Introverts. Prominent fantasy novel writers have generally been INTJ, or to a lesser extent, INFJ, regardless, strong Ni.

The key words being "fiction writers".

Now, when you get into non-fiction and true-crime fiction, there will be a more even representation with strong showings of Sensate personalities. Books on home decorating, sewing, car repair, etc, will be written almost exclusively by people with strongly-developed Se.

Different interests.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Actually, I would put money on the vast majority of fiction writers having strongly-developed Ni, or to a lesser extent, Ne, regardless of type, and a strong showing of Introverts. Prominent fantasy novel writers have generally been INTJ, or to a lesser extent, INFJ, regardless, strong Ni.

The key words being "fiction writers".

Hm... you forgot INFPs and INTPs. Especially INFPs.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hm... you forgot INFPs and INTPs. Especially INFPs.
INTPs are more likely to write theoretical science books or math papers, or integrate these into fantastical tales.

INFPs probably write fluffy/feel-good fiction, or dark, brooding, feel-bad fiction.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
INTPs are more likely to write theoretical science books or math papers.

INFPs probably write fluffy/feel-good fiction, or dark, brooding, feel-bad fiction.

Well...authors I know for sure
  • Isabel Myers, INFP, Gifts Differing and the original MBTI manual. Not a whole lot of fluff :) She actually invented 2 kinds of statistics to do the work that no one else used until supercomputers came along
    • Linda Berens, INTP, of 16types.com tends to write books on new type models or integrating more than one
  • M Scott Peck, INTJ, Road Less Traveled. Also wrote fantasy fiction, one published.
  • Authors of books on type: many, many NJs. A lot of the NPs have NJ coauthors.
  • Richard Bolles, ENFJ, What Color is Your Parachute. Affirming NF nonfiction

I always thought I'd write sci fi, have one book for kids half done, but most of the writing I do is that affirming NF nonfiction stuff. We do know Sensing types tend to read nonfiction, NF females buy the majority of books, Intuitive types tend to read eclectically, and reading/writing are inherently Introverted and Intuitive activities that can be enjoyed by anyone.

I think one of the reasons for Harry's wide appeal is that while yes it's fantasy, the kids involved are pretty ordinary, just like our own school mates, so Sensing people relate as well as Intuitive people. My husband, ESTP, read all 7 straight through last summer and I'm not sure he's touched any other fantasy since Tolkein...

edcoaching

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
ISFPs Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter are sometimes mistyped as INFPs, possibly in part because it’s assumed that a character with magical powers or strong in the Force must be an N. But the S/N difference isn’t about one possessing supernatural powers the other lacks. It’s about viewpoint and what kind of information is the main focus: the pieces or the whole, the present or the future, reality or imagination, theory or fact, etc. In Luke’s own words (as I recall from one of the New Jedi Order novels), he was never much good at seeing the big picture. There are likewise numerous examples which show Harry Potter being more S than N.

Also compare each to their main adversaries. The Emperor and Voldemort are both INTJ visionary masterminds, big picture/future planners, while Luke and Harry are SP responders. For that matter, so is the Emperor’s right hand enforcer: ISTP Darth Vader, who is sometimes mistyped as an ENTJ (perhaps you could make a case that he became more ENTJ when he became Vader, but Anakin Skywalker was likely an ISTP and Vader is nothing like the long range future planner/Empire builder that his master was).

Hmm...I say we should be diplomatic. I'll agree that Luke is ISFP if you agree that James T. Kirk is an ESTP. ;)

Kanerou

MBTI Type
_NFP
SPOILERS. You were warned.

What about Mara Jade Skywalker; wouldn't the type of his wife say something about his type?? She's very practical, more so than Luke; it's actually demonstrated in the book where they get engaged. He tries to protect her when she gets very sick and becomes weak, but she refuses to sit home and rest. She wants to be out doing something. I think she's ST, personally. As far as he goes, he's very idealistic and feely, and his critics describe him as a goody-two-shoes sort.

Also, what's with this stuff about Leia being a P? I think she's J.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Also, what's with this stuff about Leia being a P? I think she's J.

I missed that.

I'm not sure how she couldn't be a J.
She's one woman who really likes to have things wrapped up.
Her head would pop off if she was wrapped any tighter.

I think that's why Han appeals to her though... and pisses her off. His extreme P nature is frustrating and enticing all at once.

Kanerou

MBTI Type
_NFP
I missed that.

I'm not sure how she couldn't be a J.
She's one woman who really likes to have things wrapped up.
Her head would pop off if she was wrapped any tighter.

I think that's why Han appeals to her though... and pisses her off. His extreme P nature is frustrating and enticing all at once.

:D I've heard him typed as ISTP.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
What makes you think Han is E and Leia is T? Seriously - I'm curious.

Leia is well-versed in weapons, strategic warfare, and politics. While any motivated princess who will one day rule might take to these as a matter of course, they're still the realm of T. She also seems to act logically. I have to vote ENTJ over ESTJ because at that age, many ESTJs are still more comfortable operating within rule boundaries as opposed to traveling the universe to find her "only hope."

Han and E--remember it's about energy, not just about being a party animal. Han seems to be energized by action and interaction, and is constantly with Chewbacca if no one else on the Millennium Falcon. Blasting without thinking isn't necessarily the ISTP way...they're more likely to recognize that noise will alert more storm troopers and do something more subtle. Han just doesn't sit still. ISTPs often do...

IXTJ

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Re: Darth; I've always thought he was INTJ? Operating outside what is decent.

I just don't see Darth as a good accountant. (ISTJ)

The more I think about it, the more rule oriented he is. You die if you break a rule.

His persona is sure different than as ENFP Anakin?