User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 147

  1. #11
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    I strongly disagree here. I could buy Mello being an especially emotional ENTP (though ENFP is still more likely, given his rants about Near's lack of emotion), but he's certainly not an ENFJ. He's confident, but that's as far as any similarity between him and a J goes. He constantly thinks ahead (N), but is extremely impulsive and terrible at long-term planning (P). He's also horrendous at managing other people, as seen by the sheer chaos amongst his mafia underlings. He leads by charisma and fear, with no care for orderliness.
    For the same reasons you mentioned above I could see him very well as a ISTP.

    though ENFP is still more likely, given his rants about Near's lack of emotion
    He rants about Near's lack of emotions is not because he cares about feelings or emotions too much, he is simply unnerved by it. He is shocked at how Near is able to keep calm under pressure. He as a Se (as I see him) is annoyed by the fact that Near doesn't show it.

    He constantly thinks ahead (N), but is extremely impulsive and terrible at long-term planning (P)
    That screams ISTP right there. ISTPs think ahead but suck at long term planning since they don't have the patience or discipline for it. This is where ISTPs are different from other SPs.

    He's also horrendous at managing other people
    Now this is where your theory about him being ENFP is questionable. ENxPs have excellent people managing skills. (Ne combined with Fi)

    He leads by charisma and fear, with no care for orderliness.
    Do ENFPs lead people by fear? Hardly. That is a strong Se function. Se followed by logical, rutheless Ti would be more like it.

    MELLOW and Wolverine (X-Men) are one of the BEST/most obvious ISTP characters you would see on TV.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Harold Saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Ideas? What ideas? That criminals must be punished? He has a very strong, SJ-like sense of justice, which pretty much coincides with a traditional draconian moral attitude.
    Not precisely. His personal views on morality would have very little to do with the N-S distinction - and remember, despite being a prosecutor, Mikami is willing to subvert the established rules and order of things in order to dish out his own brand of justice. This would generally indicate SP or some form of N. I think we're both agreed that Teru Mikami is the most neurotic, obsessively J character in the series, so N seems far more plausible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak
    He is clearly dwelling on the past, he's using his own personal childhood experiences to draw a line between justice and injustice (Si), and I don't see any signs of the "big picture". I see a frustrated Si-Te type willing to subject himself to a greater power through religious ecstasis (ISJ). I don't see an ounce of Ni in him.
    I see heaps of Ni, myself. He's motivated by a sort of grand vision of the future, definite Ni. His sheer lack of Ne is also his downfall - he appears to have no ability to creatively problem-solve, and notably did not display any of such ability at the very end when under severe stress (indeed, becoming the exact opposite). He is self-destructively spontaneous under stress (inferior Se), as an Ni-dominant type would be. You do have a point about him seeming to have a degree of Si, but it does not strike me as his dominant function.

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon
    And Mello why 'N' why not 'Se'? Why not ISTP?
    I is out of the question. Mello is very sociable, and gains energy from social interaction. Indeed, his phenomenal social skills are his primary strength.

    S is also highly unlikely - you probably wouldn't get it from merely watching the anime, but he displays profound abstract deductive abilities in the manga. And though it is not as openly displayed, Near lampshades this in the anime, by stating that his entire investigation was dependent on the deductions of both L and Mello. He's most certainly some sort of Ne-Fi type.

    T is also unlikely - he's motivated by a personal, emotionally-charged 5-year-long feud with Near. He also has a tendency to be very subjective, having an inability to view anything objectively (overly strong Fi).

    Also, an ISTP would have Fe when under stress. Mello having any sort of Fe is out of the question - he takes everything personally (extreme Fi), and is absurdly deficient in any sort of feelings for others (no Fe).

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon
    He rants about Near's lack of emotions is not because he cares about feelings or emotions too much, he is simply unnerved by it. He is shocked at how Near is able to keep calm under pressure. He as a Se (as I see him) is annoyed by the fact that Near doesn't show it.
    He's clearly shown to care deeply about his own feelings, though at the expense of others. As I stated above, his entire motivation is a severely emotionally-charged, illogical Fi-driven desire to one-up Near.

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon
    That screams ISTP right there. ISTPs think ahead but suck at long term planning since they don't have the patience or discipline for it. This is where ISTPs are different from other SPs.
    And NPs don't? It is even more clear with them. xNxPs constantly think ahead (N), but tend to be impulsive rather than neurotic planners (P rather than J).

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon
    Now this is where your theory about him being ENFP is questionable. ENxPs have excellent people managing skills. (Ne combined with Fi)
    ENFPs can get people to go along with them in the short term (Ne, Te, and Fi all working in conjunction), but generally make for terrible group leaders in the long-term. This is abundantly clear in Mello, who can manipulate people very well, but is terrible at efficiently managing his own gang (P).

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon
    Do ENFPs lead people by fear? Hardly. That is a strong Se function. Se followed by logical, rutheless Ti would be more like it.
    Leading by fear is transcendent of type - some types may be more prone to it than others, but it is a tool that can be used by all. It has absolutely nothing to do with Se, and I have no idea where you're getting that from. As an aside, Te types (with the exception of Te-inferior ones, and this holds true in their case if they are severely unhealthy, as Mello clearly is) tend to be more ruthless than Ti ones, simply by the nature of Te.

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon
    MELLOW and Wolverine (X-Men) are one of the BEST/most obvious ISTP characters you would see on TV.
    Mello is a blatant E in both the manga and the anime, a blatant N in the manga and a probable one in the anime, and a probable F in both.

    I do agree that Wolverine is ISTP, but what in the hell does he have to do with anything here? You're starting to ramble incoherently.

  3. #13
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    Not precisely. His personal views on morality would have very little to do with the N-S distinction - and remember, despite being a prosecutor, Mikami is willing to subvert the established rules and order of things in order to dish out his own brand of justice. This would generally indicate SP or some form of N. I think we're both agreed that Teru Mikami is the most neurotic, obsessively J character in the series, so N seems far more possible.
    No. An SJ who sees something as corrupted will want to do all he can to try and remove it. He sees criminals as corruption so he likes the idea of ridding them. He is an SJ who follows with Light's ideas. He is not INTJ.
    I see heaps of Ni, myself. He's motivated by a sort of grand vision of the future, definite Ni. His sheer lack of Ne is also his downfall - he appears to have no ability to creatively problem-solve. He also gets self-destructively spontaneous under stress (inferior Se) as an Ni-dominant type would. You do have a point about him seeming to have a degree of Si, but it does not strike me as his dominant function.
    No he's motivated because he saw Kira killing criminals and he likes that idea as that's his sense of justice. He is a pawn in Kira's plans. He lacks Ni. Non of his ideas were implemented as he would just go along with Kira's. His sense that Kira is some sort of God is also indication of how low he would put his status level for justice which any Ni-dom INTJ wouldn't do.

  4. #14
    Member Geno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    Wht?
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    I agree that he's a borderline case, but I took him for more of an S. He doesn't seem to think ahead about anything at all. He's motivated entirely by boredom. And though it's ridiculously superficial, there's also his constant craving for apples.



    I strongly disagree here. I could buy Mello being an especially emotional ENTP (though ENFP is still more likely, given his rants about Near's lack of emotion), but he's certainly not an ENFJ. He's confident, but that's as far as any similarity between him and a J goes. He constantly thinks ahead (N), but is extremely impulsive and terrible at long-term planning (P). He's also horrendous at managing other people, as seen by the sheer chaos amongst his mafia underlings.
    I guess I could see matt as an ISTP. But I disagree mellow being an ENFP. He is great at long term planning. I never really saw mello as impulsive either. All his plans he thought at least 6 moves ahead even pissing light off. He also really was horrible at improvising. When ever things did not go his way he completely freaked.

    I think the clue that shows Ryuk as an N is what he chose to have fun. He could of been doing various things like killing people odd ways and traveling around the worlds. But he decided to go drop the notebook just to watch. Being very future oriented.


    I also agree mikami(probably spelt wrong) Is an ISTJ. All of what he does is very past oriented also.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    - Jack Handey

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon
    Not precisely. His personal views on morality would have very little to do with the N-S distinction - and remember, despite being a prosecutor, Mikami is willing to subvert the established rules and order of things in order to dish out his own brand of justice.
    SJ's are loyal to their moral code and the rules and traditions they have accepted during the path to adulthood. It is a common misconception that SJs never break the law. Yes, they follow rules - and these rules may or may not overlap the rules of law.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    He's motivated by a sort of grand vision of the future, definite Ni.
    No grand plans, no grand visions. Enthusiastic about following a just leader he always craved for, and excited about his long-buried need for revenge which has led him to follow a career as a guardian. He can't let go of the past, he's an unhealthy Si-dominant who uses Te to structure an environment in which he can "rewrite" the years he's lost.

    I really like Mikami, but he's no planner. He's a loyal follower - ISTJ.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    His sheer lack of Ne is also his downfall - he appears to have no ability to creatively problem-solve, and notably did not display any of such ability at the very end when under severe stress (indeed, becoming the exact opposite). He is self-destructively spontaneous under stress (inferior Se).
    Keep in mind that ISTJs have inferior Ne, which is not much of a weapon for them even if they're healthy, unlike Mikami. Your second and third points, including the "destructive spontaneity" may be explained with the ISTJ's shadow, which takes over during stress: Se Ti Fe Ni

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    You do have a point about him seeming to have a degree of Si, but it does not strike me as his dominant function.
    INTJs usually do not have an ounce of Si...

  6. #16
    Senior Member Harold Saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    137

    Default

    All right, the "Mikami is an ISTJ" brigade has given some very good points. I had mostly guessed N from his words in the interview he was given on Kira - looking at his backstory, however, he does seem to be an S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Game Master Near
    But I disagree mellow being an ENFP. He is great at long term planning. I never really saw mello as impulsive either. All his plans he thought at least 6 moves ahead even pissing light off. He also really was horrible at improvising. When ever things did not go his way he completely freaked.
    Mello is certainly impulsive. His entire decision to leave Wammy's House was on a spur of the moment impulse, which shaped his entire life. He does think ahead, but this is more indicative of N than P - he typically does not act on his thoughts, so much as mentally take note of them and then act on however he feels at a given moment.

    Mello is additionally not a very good long-term planner. He tends to let events come his way, usually letting the manipulations of others do his work for him. This is especially the case with his leeching on the SPK's investigation, using it in a spur of the moment plan to one-up Near himself - a plan with many holes (resting solely on the assumption that Light Yagami would not kill his own sister), as it was not very well-thought-out.

    Analysis of Mello's functions also reveals that he is clearly an ENFP - he's most certainly Ne, Fi, Te, Si. Mello is very far from an Fe-dominant. If anything, he's Fe-deficient, having an utterly sociopathic disregard for the feelings of others. He also displays no Ni whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Game Master Near
    I think the clue that shows Ryuk as an N is what he chose to have fun. He could of been doing various things like killing people odd ways and traveling around the worlds. But he decided to go drop the notebook just to watch. Being very future oriented.
    Well, that's more a sign of being lazy than anything. It isn't a very good point - is watching television a sign of N too? No, not particularly. However, thinking about it further, he thought out most of his own actions with Light before they happened - this is especially apparent in the manga and live-action films (rather than the anime, where it is not shown at all), where you could make the argument that he was the only individual to successfully manipulate Light himself. I suppose he is more N than S, but your point on this matter, to be perfectly honest (and I mean no disrespect), isn't a very strong one.

  7. #17
    Member Geno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    Wht?
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    All right, the "Mikami is an ISTJ" brigade has given some very good points. I had mostly guessed N from his words in the interview he was given on Kira - looking at his backstory, however, he does seem to be an S.



    Mello is certainly impulsive. His entire decision to leave Wammy's House was on a spur of the moment impulse, which shaped his entire life. He does think ahead, but this is more indicative of N than P - he typically does not act on his thoughts, so much as mentally take note of them and then act on however he feels at a given moment.

    Mello is additionally not a very good long-term planner. He tends to let events come his way, usually letting the manipulations of others do his work for him. This is especially the case with his leeching on the SPK's investigation, using it in a spur of the moment plan to one-up Near himself - a plan with many holes (resting solely on the assumption that Light Yagami would not kill his own sister), as it was not very well-thought-out.

    Analysis of Mello's functions also reveals that he is clearly an ENFP - he's most certainly Ne, Fi, Te, Si. Mello is very far from an Fe-dominant. If anything, he's Fe-deficient, having an utterly sociopathic disregard for the feelings of others. He also displays no Ni whatsoever.
    Mello choice to leave Wammys house was more do to his Fi then his actual planning ability. And it was not an assumption that light would not kill his sister. I am pretty sure he planned for light to keep that kidnapping a secret. He knew L was kira at that time. (I suppose. Not the best memory). The only reason he chose a second victim because he new that it would be kept A secret. Keeping it alive. So I am pretty sure this is a perfect example of Mello's planning ability.




    Well, that's more a sign of being lazy than anything. It isn't a very good point - is watching television a sign of N too? No, not particularly. However, thinking about it further, he thought out most of his own actions with Light before they happened - this is especially apparent in the manga and live-action films (rather than the anime, where it is not shown at all), where you could make the argument that he was the only individual to successfully manipulate Light himself. I suppose he is more N than S, but your point on this matter, to be perfectly honest (and I mean no disrespect), isn't a very strong one.[/QUOTE]

    Looking back on it. It was a crappy point. But I think Ryuk shows his Ne alot. Making his sidebar comments being completely just random.

    Also sensors and Intutatives have different definitions of fun. Sensors would really prefer more action and adventure type a thing. They live in the present and a sensor would not really think of watching a person go around doing something as interesting. Seeing they prefer now rather then the future.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    - Jack Handey

  8. #18
    One day and the next Rainne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Light - INTJ
    L - INTP

    Don't really care about the rest.
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Harold Saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Game Master Near View Post
    Mello choice to leave Wammys house was more do to his Fi then his actual planning ability. And it was not an assumption that light would not kill his sister. I am pretty sure he planned for light to keep that kidnapping a secret. He knew L was kira at that time. (I suppose. Not the best memory). The only reason he chose a second victim because he new that it would be kept A secret. Keeping it alive. So I am pretty sure this is a perfect example of Mello's planning ability.
    His Fi played a role to be sure, but would a J under normal circumstances make such a brash and reckless decision? No, they likely would not.

    Yes, he did know that L was Kira - he assumed that he could discern positively that Light = L = Kira if Kira were to do something reckless to save Sayu Yagami. The plan fell through the cracks, because Mello had little in the way of any sort of contingency plan.

    Also, note that ENFJs do not have Fi (which you mentioned Mello having) - they have Fe, which Mello is very deficient in. Mello is blatantly Ne-Fi, which points to ENFP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Game Master Near
    Looking back on it. It was a crappy point. But I think Ryuk shows his Ne alot. Making his sidebar comments being completely just random.

    Also sensors and Intutatives have different definitions of fun. Sensors would really prefer more action and adventure type a thing. They live in the present and a sensor would not really think of watching a person go around doing something as interesting. Seeing they prefer now rather then the future.
    Well, no, a sensor could easily enjoy watching people do things. They're more attentive to detail, remember. They simply would be less likely to enjoy analyzing future possibilities of these events, so much as simply watching them at concrete face value.

    I agree that Ryuk often shows Ne, however - he shows significant degrees of Se (his apple fixation, for one thing) as well, but my current guess for him is some bizarre sort of ENTP with a weak N.

  10. #20
    Member Geno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    Wht?
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    His Fi played a role to be sure, but would a J under normal circumstances make such a brash and reckless decision? No, they likely would not.

    Yes, he did know that L was Kira - he assumed that he could discern positively that Light = L = Kira if Kira were to do something reckless to save Sayu Yagami. The plan fell through the cracks, because Mello had little in the way of any sort of contingency plan. A

    Also, note that ENFJs do not have Fi (which you mentioned Mello having) - they have Fe, which Mello is very deficient in. Mello is blatantly Ne-Fi, which points to ENFP.



    Well, no, a sensor could easily enjoy watching people do things. They're more attentive to detail, remember. They simply would be less likely to enjoy analyzing future possibilities of these events, so much as simply watching them at concrete face value.

    I agree that Ryuk often shows Ne, however - he shows significant degrees of Se (his apple fixation, for one thing) as well, but my current guess for him is some bizarre sort of ENTP with a weak N.
    I seen a convincing argument for Mello being an ENFP. A psychopath one anyway....

    And I am confused about ryuk. I am actually slowly started to think he is an ESTP with a perfectly great Ti. What he chose to go with light for something interesting. With him needing excitement he uses his Ti to take in "mind" excitement rather then doing activities.

    I think Se mixed with Ti is making him look more like an N when he really is not.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    - Jack Handey

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :newwink:
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :cry:
  • :(
  • :doh:
  • :mad:
  • :dry:
  • :mellow:
  • :unsure:
  • :huh:
  • :shock:

Similar Threads

  1. MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 12-25-2015, 03:42 PM
  2. Jung Type Death Note Test
    By cfs1992 in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 04:24 AM
  3. Thoughts on the ending of Death Note (Spoilers be warned)
    By Savage Idealist in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO