• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Buffy characters

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is Buffy 'Summers' an INTP?

I really think she's an INTP, now that I think about it.

Because, even though she's got her gang, she sometimes needs to go it alone for whatever reason. She's smart, witty, funny and thinks outside the box. Plus she's very straight forward and even though she'd listen to whatever Giles is saying about a demon, she'd probably be thinking about it/building a mental picture of it/running a simuation in her head; or whatever, and given all that Giles is saying, be able to come up with
'Big, Icky Slimey Monster-Demon'
which, would be more or less be correct.

wistfulwillow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for writing all of that! Very interesting stuff. There wasn't anything I wanted you to back up, I just was curious about your reasoning--it's always thoughtful, with in depth character descriptions. I think there are valid arguments for Willow as an INFJ or INFP, but now I'm leaning towards INFJ! Dark Willow does seem like more of an Ni user for sure.

wistfulwillow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is Buffy 'Summers' an INTP?

I really think she's an INTP, now that I think about it.

Because, even though she's got her gang, she sometimes needs to go it alone for whatever reason. She's smart, witty, funny and thinks outside the box. Plus she's very straight forward and even though she'd listen to whatever Giles is saying about a demon, she'd probably be thinking about it/building a mental picture of it/running a simuation in her head; or whatever, and given all that Giles is saying, be able to come up with
(above post was in response to Pansophie)
No, I'm almost certain Buffy is an xSFP (probably an ESFP). I don't much feel like explaining why right now, maybe tomorrow?
If you skim the rest of the posts, you may find reasoning for why she's an xSFP or ESFP It's fairly agreed upon between us Buffy/MBTI junkies:).

Plus she's very straight forward and even though she'd listen to whatever Giles is saying about a demon, she'd probably be thinking about it/building a mental picture of it/running a simuation in her head; or whatever, and given all that Giles is saying, be able to come up with

This is the exact opposite of the way in which INTPs operate. INTPs are masters of making everything more difficult than they actually are.

Pansophie

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
willow as infp

I could see how this could make sense holistically... ie., the INFP profile does kinda fit her. But everything I see kind of screams J... I mean the quintessential studious student, already teaching classes as a high school student (when Ms. C died), choosing her classes all early and giving Buffy crap for doing it too late.. doesn't really get more J than that.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
(above post was in response to Pansophie)
No, I'm almost certain Buffy is an xSFP (probably an ESFP). I don't much feel like explaining why right now, maybe tomorrow?
If you skim the rest of the posts, you may find reasoning for why she's an xSFP or ESFP It's fairly agreed upon between us Buffy/MBTI junkies:).

Yeah, there's no chance she's an INTP.

Pansophie

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
haha

Buffy as INTP is just as silly brainz as Spike as an ESTP :D

Xander is her heart/mirror (ESFP), while Giles is her mind (INTJ) and Willow her spirit (INFJ).

The second to last ep of season 4 features this ^^ spell and is one of the best episodes ever. It really does work out perfectly and precisely with the MBTI, symbolism, and the character types.

This post should summarize the whole thread tee hee.

Odi et Amo

To here knows when...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My favorite show ever, so I feel obliged to type the characters -
Buffy - ISFP (Buffy's nearly always typed as an SFP. ISFP feels better for me cognitively as well as behaviorally, as Fi moderated by Se feels better than Se moderated by Fi. Plus Buffy is behaviorally an introvert)
Willow - INFP (This one is really difficult. Willow seems Ni > Ne but Fi > Fe. What clinched INFP was remembering her beautiful soliloquy to Buffy at the end of Season Three (Graduation Day pt I?), when she broke it to Buffy that she was staying in Sunnydale for college, instead of Oxford/Yale/MIT/wherever she wanted, to fight the Hellmouth with Buffy. Screamed Fi dominant.)
Xander - ENTP (I''m not too sure about this one. ENFP seems just as likely. Ne-Ti/Fi seem equally good.)
Giles - INTJ (Not much argument here.)
Angel - ISFJ (Angel on Buffy is more of an Si-dom with his focus on the past, while Angel on Angel is more of an Ni-dom, what with making himself into a Batman-style Ni symbol/abstraction. Since this is Buffy, I'll go with ISFJ. Either way, he's Fe-overload. SO MUCH Fe.)
Spike - ESFP (Some days I think Spike is an ENFJ, some days I think he's an ESFP. His selfless devotion to Drusilla, then Buffy makes me think Fe-Ni, but Fool for Love and Touched, his big character moments, make me think Se-Fi. "I don't have a reputation for being much of a thinker, I usually go by my blood. Which doesn't always flow in the direction of my brain." Oh SPIKE!)
Dawn - ENFP (Dawn is a lot like Xander in cognition, clearly Ne-dom.)
Anya - ESTJ (Devotion to business, great aptitude for it, love of money, desire to know human customs is Te-Si.)
Cordelia - ESTJ (Classic social climber, but not in an Fe-way. She has a great grasp of organization and a talent for networking, which we see more of on Angel.)
Riley - some sort of SF, but I mean...it's Riley. I'll give you ESFJ today.
Joyce - ISFJ (Joyce is frequently in reaction mode to events that have already happened, which screams Si. She's clearly an Fe user as well as a quintessential mother hen. Joyce is the shit, though.)
Jenny - ENTJ (Sly, sharp-witted, tough as nails.)
Oz - INTP (Oz's sardonic, hilarious barbs show aux Ne and stoicism, detachment, and mixture of deep intelligence and passive nature show Ti-Ne.)
Tara - INFJ (Tara is frequently the first to jump to understandings and realize hidden patterns (especially with regards to magic, which is...well...mystical), and has an exceptionally deep conceptual and context-independent grasp of magic and the universe, deeper that that of the extraordinarily powerful Willow, which make her Ni-dom. She and Giles (the Ni-doms in the group) are the only ones to realize what magic will truly do to Willow. She was what helped me type Willow as INFP instead of INFJ. Tara is also THE SHIT. :wubbie:)
Wood - INTJ (Wood thinks of himself as a symbol as well. He doesn't have a very firm sense of self-identity outside of the roles he plays - principal, bad boy, evil fighter. In a way, he's like a human mixture of Spike and Angel. Really interesting character, one whose type I question.)
The Master - INTJ (Classic INTJ villain.)
Angelus - ENTJ (Angelus is different from Angel in a way that Spike is not from William.)
Drusilla - ENFP (The quintessence of an Ne-dom.)
The Mayor - ESFJ (His Fe devotion to Faith/avuncular nature and his being seeped in Sunnydale tradition/being very traditionally minded make him a pretty obvious ESFJ.)
Faith - ESTP (This is a crystalline typing. She's hella Se-dom. She totally gets Spike in this way.)
Maggie Walsh - INTJ (Yawn.)
Adam - INTP (Yawn x2.)
{Season 4 was the great wasted season of Buffy, but that's a tangent for another time. Adam and professor Walsh both had amazing potential that was mostly wasted.}
Glory - ESFJ (semi-yawn x3, but S5 is still my favorite season.)
Warren - ENTJ (Outside of his antisocial nature and amorality, he's crafty, resourceful, and scheming, and a superb villain.)
The First - LOLZ

vitorbronson

MBTI Type
INTJ
my take on the personality of the buffy:

buffy the beginning of the show until the fourth season is ESFP

thereafter until the end of last season I think it becomes INTJ

because it becomes? because in the beginning she was a teenager and was still in training personlidade ie was not set yet, the personality is only defined after twenty years in my opinion.

vitorbronson

MBTI Type
INTJ
about ANGEL: despite being a "guardian" on the show do not think his personality is Guardian said so in the MBTI does not see him as SJ. I think this is an erroneous label in this case.

me ANGEL ANGELUS is INFJ and ENTJ or ENTP

LIAM is ESTP

SPIKE serious doubt among some as xSTP or xNFP

Mane

Permabanned
[MENTION=20511]Odi et Amo[/MENTION] - That was a really good analysis.

A few minor disagreements:

;2253731 said:
Willow - INFP (This one is really difficult. Willow seems Ni > Ne but Fi > Fe. What clinched INFP was remembering her beautiful soliloquy to Buffy at the end of Season Three (Graduation Day pt I?), when she broke it to Buffy that she was staying in Sunnydale for college, instead of Oxford/Yale/MIT/wherever she wanted, to fight the Hellmouth with Buffy. Screamed Fi dominant.)

She repeatedly comes out with unlikely solutions that ended up working, not from making a connection externally to form an innovative idea but from mentally processing the situation itself in the back of her head (What's behind the demon's powers, what does an incantation really mean), she never made much external connections at all, she didn't have too because Xander always did it for her (Accidentally). Most importantly, let's not forget the entire vision to chance the way the prophecy fundamentally works & awaken every potential slayer at the same time was her own design. Do these not suggest Ni dominance?

Giles - INTJ (Not much argument here.)
Why not ISTJ? Almost all of his solutions come from a very broad education into the world of the arcane, it might seem mystical to us but for him this was college.

Dawn - ENFP (Dawn is a lot like Xander in cognition, clearly Ne-dom.)
I think this might be because they both share the same enneagram and insecurities (7w6), not necessarily because they are both the same MBTI.

iHeartCats

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
no
Buffy is ESFP/ESFJ, borderline J/P
She always says what's on her mind and how she feels, so she is an extrovert
She is very practical, therefore a sensor
She is a feeler
If she wasn't a slayer she would be ESFP, but being a slayer pushes her to borderline J/P.

counting foxes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Alrighty, first post, here we go:

Buffy: ESFP.
Willow: INFP

Xander: Exxx,
Really unsure about this one. All I can say for sure is that he is extraverted, we don't ever really see him being shy or socially awkward, nor do we see him seeking time alone to recharge. When he is alone, he is usually lonely or sad (circa S4, trapped in the basement and cut off from his friends) rather than energised and inspired. Unsure about S or N, I'm not quite sure where everyone else is getting evidence for N? Direct examples, evidence? I'd love an explanation. As for F and T, I see evidence for both. Evidence for F could be his decisions and actions caused by his often immature emotions, especially in earlier seasons, such as constant jabs against Angel fuelled by jealousy. As Xander matures through the seasons the argument for F becomes a little stronger, in season 7 being able to 'see' things and have insights into people and the way they work and the way they feel due to not being the centre of attention. However, the argument for T is probably stronger, he can be objective while Buffy and Willow are swept up by their own emotions, he can be unkind and insensitive in the way he states his opinions (such as in the S3 episode 'Revelations' telling Buffy "You wanna forget all about Ms. Calendar's murder so you can get your boyfriend back") and can also be incredibly unaware of his own emotions, see "Hells Bells" when he left Anya at the alter, which probably wouldn't have happened if he had been more in touch with what he was feeling through the whole time. We don't see him "check in" with his emotions, and for the most part he is pretty unaware of them. I don't see much evidence for J or P really, so I'm leaving that one too in hope that someone can provide some reasons :)

Giles: INTJ

Spike: ISTP
Lives happily by himself in his crypt, enjoys his own company, often operates alone (I). If he employs someone to help him with his evil plans, it's usually for the reason of doing a job rather than having some sort of need for the social interaction. S, definitely, Spike in S7 tells Buffy, "I don't have a reputation for being a thinker...I follow my blood, which doesn't necessarily flow in the direction of my brain." Not much of a philosopher or intellectual, thrives on the heat of the moment, loves violence, appreciates sensory pleasures such as blood and his crypt designed the way he likes it, a very "in the moment" person. I did debate F, because of how centred his life becomes around the women he is in love with, but after reading descriptions of ISTP and ISFP, Spike fit the description of ISTP so perfectly it was difficult to see otherwise. A man who follows his own rules, has his own ideas, lives by his own values.

Cordelia: ESTJ
Anya: ISTJ
Faith: ESTP
Oz: INTP

Tara: INFJ
Shy, quiet, finds it difficult to make friends, to use her lyrics from the musical episode, "How else could I see, anyone else would notice me?", spends a lot of time alone in her room, in group conversations adds little unless she is directly addressed (I). Very values driven, very sure about what she believes, for instance when calling Willow out on her magic use and providing very clear rules about the use of magic which she sees as the right way "You're using magic to suit things for your own liking. It's not what magic is for" (NF). Plays almost a literal 'counsellor' role, a maternal role in the Scoobies, helping Buffy through her thing with Spike in S6, listening with nonjudgmental acceptance and providing advice, very INFJ.

Dawn: ISFP
Shy, has few friends at school and hangs out with Buffy's friends instead (I). Not really a big picture thinker, focuses on her own feelings at any given time, to the point of being very immature. I could also see J.

Apologies for the monster post.

ScareBear

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if I get the ESFP vibe for Buffy. They tend to avoid negativity as much as possible and Buffy doesn't seem to do that (even her mom thinks she's a bit negative sometimes). She gets bored/distracted easily. I get the ESFP vibe for Faith, well an unhealthy ESFP anyway. When she comes into town she talks how slaying vampires gives her a bit of, um, a euphoric physical feeling so to speak. She even thinks Buffy was a bit wound up and needed to "find the fun," which tells me ESFP. Buffy is a little more future oriented in that she's afraid to get into a relationship because of possible future repercussions. She's also a little more emotional and not exactly afraid to talk about them.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Buffy - ESFP
Xander - ExFP. Usually across as an S, but Joss Whedon's zany Ne humor comes through in his dialogue a lot
Willow - INFP 6w7 sp/sx
Giles - INTJ 5w6 with 1w9 fix
Joyce - ISFJ
Cordelia - ESTJ 3
Angel - INFJ
Angelus - ENTP
Oz - INTP 9w8 sp/sx, 5 fix
Spike - ESTP 8w7 sx/sp
Anya - ESTJ
Riley - ISFJ
Dawn - ESFx
Wesley - ISTJ 6w5