• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Six Feet Under character types

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Six Feet Under characters

So this thread may totally flop if no one's seen the show (it's an older HBO one), but it's a favorite of mine.

I'm going to give it a whirl on typing the characters. I also want to add that typing is maybe more challenging with the characters because some have disorders, but....I'll try it out anyway!

*Nate - INFP
*Claire - IxFP
*David - IxFJ
*Ruth - ISFJ

*Lisa - IxFJ
*Brenda - hmm - I have a really hard time w/ her, but - INxP
*Billy - INTP (?)
*Keith - ISTx (I'm inclined to say ISTJ)
*Brenda and Billy's mom - ENTx
*Frederico - I'm really not sure w/ him either - xSTJ ?
*Russell (one of Claire's boyfriends) - truly no idea. Sometimes I think ISFP, but I confess it's mostly due to his pursuit of art. He does seem to have a fair amt of Fe though...
*Olivier (art teacher) - again I don't know. xSTP? Doesn't really seem like an I in the sense that the others are. And whatever he is, he has zero Fe. I suppose he could be a caustic xSFP, but that doesn't sit well with me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going to give it a whirl on typing the characters. I also want to add that typing is maybe more challenging with the characters because many are not the healthiest individuals and some have disorders, but....I'll try it out anyway!

Nate - INFP
Claire - IxFP
David - IxFJ
Ruth - ISFJ

I only saw the first five episodes (i wish i had seen more).

My only quibble is David: He seems more ISxJ to me. (I can't tell whether he is a waffling T or a masculinized F. His primary traits are his sense of duty/responsibility as derived from the socially dictated, internalized "rulebook" for the world." Which is SiJe in nature. Being gay also throws a twist into his personality, as far as personal expression goes, which makes T/F hard to determine.)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I only saw the first five episodes (i wish i had seen more).

My only quibble is David: He seems more ISxJ to me. (I can't tell whether he is a waffling T or a masculinized F. His primary traits are his sense of duty/responsibility as derived from the socially dictated, internalized "rulebook" for the world." Which is SiJe in nature. Being gay also throws a twist into his personality, as far as personal expression goes, which makes T/F hard to determine.)

In later seasons the huge differences between David and his boyfriend Keith become apparent. David has a lot of Fe, and Keith expresses himself much differently, and they run into relationship issues as a result of their personality conflicts.

But yes, I could see ISFJ for David. You're correct, his primary trait is a sense of duty/responsibility, so with that in mind, INFJ is not likely at all. Good point! SJ temperament seems much stronger for David than NF. But given how David interacts with others (again, more character development in later episodes) I'm not seeing ISTJ.

Oh, it's a fantasic show. It's all about personal dynamics!!

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, if Nate is indeed an INFP, it explains why I always connected with him the most.

Now I have to go dig out the DVD's and watch them all again. I've been looking for an excuse, so this fits the bill. :)

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I love love love this show! (Jennifer - can't you rent the DVDs?) Hmmm... lessee...

- Nate Sr. ISTJ
- Ruth ISFJ
- Nate Jr. ISFP
- David ISFJ
- Claire INFP

- Keith ISTP
- Lisa IXFP
- George INTJ
- Claire's bf when the show ends ESFJ

- Dad Chenowith ENTP
- Mom Chenowith (narcissistic) ESTP
- Brenda Chenowith ENFP
- Billy Chenowith (bipolar severe with psychotic features) INTP

- Rico ISTJ
- Vanessa ESFP

- the French art teacher (sociopathic tendencies) ENFP
- the priest INFJ
- Ruth's sister ISFP
- Ruth's friend played by Kathy Bates ENFP
- the Russian florist ISTP

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for adding your input anii!!

The only thing I really raise my eyebrows on is Brenda as ESFP. She seems SO INxx to me.

Oh - and Lisa seems very J to me, and I always thought the P/J difference was the main one between Lisa and Nate. That, and I thought Lisa oozed Fe (which is why I question IxFP for her), vs. Nate being much more Fi, and I thought that caused some conflict.

And with your qualification of sociopathic tendencies for the teacher, I guess I could see ENFP.

And I can see all how all your other ones could fit!!

Edit: Ah, I see you changed Brenda to EN. :)

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
Nate Fisher ENFP 7 Enneagram; David Fisher ISFJ 1E; Ruth Fisher ISFJ 1E; Claire Fisher INFP 4E; Rico ISTP; Brenda INTP 5E; Billy INFP 4E; Keith ESTJ; George ENTJ; Nathaniel Fisher, Sr. ESTP 7E

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think Claire might be a misanthropic ENTP. She's not extremely reflective- her energy seems to be oriented outwardly. You don't have to be social to be an extrovert. And she doesn't seem very F-ey to me. Other than that I'm totally on board with your types. :)

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
Six Feet Under

I see your point about Claire. The Enneagram helped me estimate her type (a lot of my “amateur” typing is a fusion of the two systems). There are 2 main types of INFPs on the Enneagram, the more passive 9’s (which doesn’t fit Claire at all) and the moody, “bitchy”, expressive Artistic Temperment 4’s, who can be very misonthropic and pessimistic, especially with a 5 wing which gives her a more intellectual bent.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm digging up this old thread, because I recently started watching this series. It's amazing. It's like food for INFJs... and NFs... and for any other type. Haha.

I'm currently in the beginning of the third season. Here's some of my thoughts thus far:

Lisa. INFJ. I think she oozes that, if I may borrow cascademn's wording. There are other ISFJs in the series and she's not quite like them. She's quirkier. She's very much an idealist. She's trying to create the perfect relationship with Nate and seems to be paranoid about the smallest things that challenge her ideals. The funny thing is... I'm almost constantly annoyed by her. I'm thinking "Relax woman! Stop that nagging!". I believe it's because I dislike that exact part in myself. It's like watching myself and hoping I'm not like that all the time...

Claire. INFP. Perhaps. Seems like the type. And when compared to Nate, I think she's a lot more N. Also, the school psychologist (or whatever it's called) said to Claire's mom that Claire's the type of person who needs more meaning to her life than most. Which sounds like an idealist at work.
(And the scene continued with Ruth asking that doesn't everyone need meaning to their lives... and she got the answer: "You'd be surprised..." One of my favorite lines.)

Brenda. This is difficult. She was immediately my favorite character of the bunch. My first reaction was INTP. Then again... she might be ENTP, which would also explain why I immediately liked her :). I'm seeing more T than F, but F is a possibility. She's really complex, really.

Nate. I'm seeing more ISFP than INFP. He has more Fe than others in the family... I'm not sure if it was his father who said it, but he said that Nate has a "gift", like connecting with people on an emotional level. With Fe. That sounds like he also has a well-developed third function, Ni. I'm not sure if that is his type, but that's how I think about it right now.

I'm agree with the rest or I don't know what to think about some character myself.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I've always felt like a combo of Claire and David. This now explains why. Thanks everybody.

Baltar

MBTI Type
INTP
Six Feet Under-HBO series

I finally got to see the last season by downloading from itunes. Very nicely wrapped up.

Anyways, my guesses:

Ruth-XSFJ
Nate Sr.-ESTP
Nate Jr.-ENFP
David-ISFJ
Claire-INxP
Keith-ESTP
Federico-ESFJ
Brenda-INTJ
Billy-ENTP
Gabriel(season 1)-XSTP
Ted-this one's tough-only there for half a season
George-INTP

MBTI Type
INxJ
Ruth - ISFJ
Nate - ENFP
David - ISFJ
Keith - ISTJ
Brenda - INTP
Claire - IxxP

Baltar

MBTI Type
INTP
Hmmm...

Ruth - ISFJ
Nate - ENFP
David - ISFJ
Keith - ISTJ
Brenda - INTP
Claire - IxxP

For Claire, I ruled out ISFP(despite her artistic talent) because I have never met an ISFP with her strong will or decent intellect at that age. ISTP unlikely as well. So, I settled on INxP-still plenty of room for artsiness, especially her photography,and angst and sarcasm. Remember that Russell guy, maybe he's ISFP?

Brenda, INTP, I guess I can see that.
Keith-ISTJ-why?

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
ABSOLUTELY my favourite tv-show ever.

My guesses:

Ruth-ISFJ
Nate Sr.-ISTP
Nate Jr.-ENFP
David-ISFJ
Claire-INFP
Keith-ISTJ
Federico-ESFJ
Brenda-INTJ
Billy- too much unhealthy to type
Ted-INFJ
Lisa-ISFP
Maggie-INFP
Vanessa-ESTJ
Bettina-ESTP
George-INTJ
Arthur-INTP
Brenda's mother-ESFP
Olivier Castro-Staal-ENTP
Russell-ISFP

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This is my favorite tv show as well.
But Nate Jr an F? I've always seen him as an ENTP.
Nearly every conversation in the show between the two brothers puts Dave's F up against Nate's T.

SerenityLove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Nate=ENFP
David=ISTJ
Claire=ISFP
Brenda=INTP
Keith=ENFJ
Ruth=ISFJ
Nathaniel=ENTP
Lisa=ISFJ

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
nate: isfp
david: isfj
claire: infp
brenda: intp (HATE HER)
keith: estj
ruth: isfj
lisa: infj

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Nate: ENFP 7w6
David: ISFJ 6w5
Ruth: ISFJ 2w1
Claire: INFP 4w5
Brenda: INTP 5w4
Keith: ESFJ 6w5
Rico: ESF* 6w7 (had much in common with Keith but was much looser)
Lisa: ISFJ 2w1 (she and Ruth were lookalikes)
Russell: ISFP 4w5
Nathaniel: ISFJ 9w1
Billy: ESFP 6w7

Baltar

MBTI Type
INTP
Hmmm....

David:ISFJ
Ruth:ISFJ
Lisa:ISFP
Keith:ESFJ
Rico:ESFJ
Vanessa:ESTJ
Billy:too unhealthy to say
Russell:ISFP
Brenda:INxx
Brenda's mom:ESTP
Olivier:ESxP
Nate:very hard to say, even for a fictional character. ExxP he's got the NF spirituality, but
T pragmatism in business (in contrast to David), as well as ESxP womanizing and
not giving a shit.
George: INTP
Claire:INTP hear me out: Artist, introvert, but waaayyy too hardass for a young female IXFP from a good home.
detached, into photography.
Nate Sr:XSTP

Can anyone convince me further either way with Claire and Nate?